JT outfitters Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You still got to figure vac for brake booster, charcoal can, PCV, and dizzy vent. Advance is easy.
I was planning to come off the vac port from the intake manifold.
image.jpg

After 18 months, I found folly in my vacuum design plan. It worked, but it's a bad plan. Had PCV and Char-can T'ed together on weak vac. Filled tank before parking, gas expanded filling Char-can and was about to drain into crankcase from PCV. Anyhow, glad I cought it.

Thanks fellas! How’d you go about connecting the headers to the cat? I’m toying with cutting my OEM down pipe, having a bung for an o2 sensor welded where the bypass pipe connects and using a flex pipe to connect to the collector...View attachment 2786225View attachment 2786226

I have a sneaking suspicion that these headers were designed for a Chevy straight six...

PLEASE do cut this down pipe

PM me please

i need one now desperately for my 83 FJ43L-KC 2F

thanks
matt

I was planning to come off the vac port from the intake manifold.View attachment 2786476

i also have tons of OEM Vacuum ports if you need a different one ?

some are SOLID pre - owned , some are indeed NOS unicorn parts from way back i hold onto for trades only

thanks

some are SOLID pre - owned , some are indeed NOS unicorn parts from way back i hold onto for trades only

thanks
Matt,you are pure gold! Mud has an opportunity here to make Sniper fit the need. Right now we have pioneers who have made it work, but...

thanks
I believe this vac port will work. But I’m not to the point of routing things just yet. Still trying to get this steering gear box off to rebuild.... 🙄

@cps432 the Sniper will eliminate some issues and you will be glad for it. But it will add some too. Similar issues if you just desmog. What you could gain, based on my and others word, it better pulling power on the hills. You should be able to row through the gears faster. Also, you open real estate under the hood, you killed the spaghetti monster. You don't need HAC, carb fan, float bowl venting, and a choke cable/system.

What you will have, is instant cold start, more consistent speed pulling grades, be able to idle through rough 4-low sections without stalling, worse overall MPG's (hope to fix that), better throttle response, and new worries about fuel pressure, O2 readings, worries about MAP (vacuum), rethinking your timing settings, and probably a few others. You have left the OEM, built for 1980's congressional EPA mandates behind. You have entered the world of hot-rodding with a racing tractor. 😐 . Welcome aboard, you are a pioneer too.

I did the cut washer trick on the MAF unit as well. Their "test pipe" fixes cat issues such as restrictions and theft. 😉
I aleady chopped off my cat. What's this test pipe you speak of? Looking at their site, wondering if I need to order anything or if I can just weld the thing to my downpipes.

Thanks,
Dan

I replaced that cat with the bolt in magnaflow about 3 years ago or so. It should be fine. Colorado is adopting all the lovely failed policies Cali has been enforcing. That’s why I’m gtfo and pulling all my smog crap.

I’ve never had the tech do any real inspections. In Boulder City there is one emissions test site that is authorized by the city council. Everyone registered in boulder has to go there so it gets very busy and I’ve generally been pushed through. If it fails the dyno they fail you. If it fails the gas cap test they fail you. Nobody ever crawled under my truck. I bet they wouldn’t even bat an eye if they saw a Holley sniper installed as long as it passes the gas cap and dyno tests. But that is changing....
are you desmogged? and I have a "resonator" insteadfa of the fake Magnaflow CAT you have. Wondering if Should install it just as a deterrment for when I drive your Cali soon.

Thanks,
Dan

are you desmogged? and I have a "resonator" insteadfa of the fake Magnaflow CAT you have. Wondering if Should install it just as a deterrment for when I drive your Cali soon.

Thanks,
Dan
You don’t need to run the cat. The resonator would be nice for your ears and so you don’t get pulled over for loud exhausts but it does nothing for emissions. If you’re going to Cali and they smell that thing without the cat they might pull you over and give you grief about it. I dunno… they’re heavy handed over there with that kinda stuff which is why I stay away.

I aleady chopped off my cat. What's this test pipe you speak of? Looking at their site, wondering if I need to order anything or if I can just weld the thing to my downpipes.

Thanks,
Dan
It's just a piece of pipe with flanges on both ends that fills the section where the Cat' used to be.

Got my 60 a few months ago, and was having a hard time starting. Took 4-6 or more attempts to get it to fire and run. Took it into a local cruiser shop, since I knew nothing about cars, and they said it was the Carb, and to take it to a Carb shop.

The PO was from sea level and I am up in the mountains so I figured there was some truth to this but....

I had a gut feeling it wasnt fully the carb as everything ran fine once I got it warmed up and I dont know sh*t about cars, so I tried the old "spray carb cleaner" on the intake trick that I saw on youtube (lol), and sure enough the engine fire up when I sprayed it.

I then hooked up a vacuum test (after installing a port on the intake) and found pulling less than 10 mhg.

While doing some research I found a youtube video complaining about JT Outfitters headers, didnt think much of it.

Went out and took a closer look at my intake and realized I had these damn exhaust headers on my vehicle too, and it hit me, that the problems are all related.

Note To Self: Avoid JT Outfitters moving forward

Exhaust header removed
PXL_20231214_014813222.jpg

Again without knowing much about cars, I decided to dive in and remove the intake/exhaust, and quickly realized I bit off more than I could chew as a newb, but kept going....its only money right?

I got the gasket off and it was clear that I had a major intake leak.

PXL_20231214_014759239.jpg

Bought the Man-a-fre ceramic coated exhaust header kit, and re-installed it all.

ceramic-coated-tuned-headers-Toyota-F-2F-engine-17100-40ST-a.jpg

While the intake was off i decided to clean it up, and paint it the same color as the rig.

PXL_20231202_195201343.jpg

PXL_20231212_002548642.jpg

BAM she starts like a champ!

Vacuum reading is showing 20mhg which I am not sure is true, but regardless now I need adjust the carb somehow.

Got my 60 a few months ago, and was having a hard time starting. Took 4-6 or more attempts to get it to fire and run. Took it into a local cruiser shop, since I knew nothing about cars, and they said it was the Carb, and to take it to a Carb shop.

The PO was from sea level and I am up in the mountains so I figured there was some truth to this but....

I had a gut feeling it wasnt fully the carb as everything ran fine once I got it warmed up and I dont know sh*t about cars, so I tried the old "spray carb cleaner" on the intake trick that I saw on youtube (lol), and sure enough the engine fire up when I sprayed it.

I then hooked up a vacuum test (after installing a port on the intake) and found pulling less than 10 mhg.

While doing some research I found a youtube video complaining about JT Outfitters headers, didnt think much of it.

Went out and took a closer look at my intake and realized I had these damn exhaust headers on my vehicle too, and it hit me, that the problems are all related.

Note To Self: Avoid JT Outfitters moving forward

Exhaust header removed
View attachment 3574470

Again without knowing much about cars, I decided to dive in and remove the intake/exhaust, and quickly realized I bit off more than I could chew as a newb, but kept going....its only money right?

I got the gasket off and it was clear that I had a major intake leak.

View attachment 3574471

Bought the Man-a-fre ceramic coated exhaust header kit, and re-installed it all.

View attachment 3574473

While the intake was off i decided to clean it up, and paint it the same color as the rig.

View attachment 3574475
View attachment 3574476

BAM she starts like a champ!

Vacuum reading is showing 20mhg which I am not sure is true, but regardless now I need adjust the carb somehow.

How did you align the mounting flanges? I used some washers that I cut on mine and it's been problem free every since.

My JT heaters have been running great since installation a few years ago. No issues at all, my OEM manifold was leaking all over the place before replacement. @wngrog recommended them to me, and whatever he says goes IMO! The Remflex gaskets are great too.

How did you align the mounting flanges? I used some washers that I cut on mine and it's been problem free every since.
The intake was warped badly...forgot to mention that I took it to a machine shop and they machined it flat. The intake and the new exhaust header were very close in width so it hooked up just fine using the gasket.

I threw the JT Outfitters header out

The intake was warped badly...forgot to mention that I took it to a machine shop and they machined it flat. The intake and the new exhaust header were very close in width so it hooked up just fine using the gasket.

I threw the JT Outfitters header out
Interesting. The flange on my Man-o-fre was much thicker than the intake.

almost positive that is what I am running. I also did split washers and I have had to replace the gasket once or twice.
why did you have to replace? Just not sealing well or was it a crappy gasket? how many miles before it started pooing on you?

why did you have to replace? Just not sealing well or was it a crappy gasket? how many miles before it started pooing on you?
mine developed a leak and it caused a clicking that sounded like something way more serious. Seems like it happened after about a year, but I would have to go back and check. Replaced the gasket and it has been good for a few years. Every now and then I hear a small pop release of air so I know there is a leak, but no clicking noise. Nothing that bothers me enough to address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom