John Deere L130 42" Snowblower Gear box Explosion Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VFRMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
The gearbox on my snowblower attachment on my little JD rider decided to s*** the bed right before this wonderful blizzard we have going on tonight. Pics should explain the situation better than I can.
There are numerous threads on a tractor forum about being able to buy some MTD parts to replace the internal worm gear and shaft, rather than buck up almost $500 for a replacement gearbox. That would be wonderful, but I realized my potmetal case blew apart and pieces are missing. Anyone ever have any luck with JB Weld or similar "molding" up a gaping hole in some crappy metal? Or any other means of piecing this thing back together again? Spending $500 on a $1000 attachment just doesnt make sense. Any words from the Masters? My back really
20181227_053843.jpg
20181227_053849.jpg
20181227_054106.jpg
doesnt want to go out there and shovel this s*** in the morning. Thx

I don't think JB Weld is going to do the job. That bearing/bushing needs structural support, not just a hole to plug.

I don't think JB Weld is going to do the job. That bearing/bushing needs structural support, not just a hole to plug.

I agree. Obviously, it was structural or it wouldn't have been broken. JB Weld isn't going to support something structural.

Next question is what force broke it? Was a bolt loose? As mentioned, was a shear pin replaced with something that wouldn't break? You certainly don't want to have it happen again after it is fixed/replaced.

There isn't an "overnight" fix for this. You're talking welding cast or replacing the part.

So maybe JB Weld AND Gorilla Tape?
I'd like to find a parts blow up of that gear case but I havent found one yet. It would be nice to see what all is missing for sure before I tear into it. It initially looked like that case was just a cover, hence thinking it just needed to be "enclosed" again.
I may just pick up a $200 Craigslist walk-behind blower for this year and worry about it next summer. There's ice fishing to be done and my Ice Fishing thread hasnt seen much activity the past couple years.
Thanks for the input and I'll see what time I can p
20170202_132904.jpg
20170202_132904.jpg
ut into it.

Looks like the bolt that holds the upper support bracket to the case finally fell out after wallowing out the hole in the case. Then the case was not supported and broke.

I talked through a similar situation on a JD riding mower with a buddy of mine, who's as experienced with fixing machines as anyone I've ever met.

I think you'll either have to weld that cast housing, or replace it.

What the specific model number of the unit you're trying to find parts diagrams for? I might be able to dig one up.

JD does sell replacement parts. I have to give them credit, I have yet to have a part they deemed discontinued.

Toyota notwithstanding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom