JoCo area shop for lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a shop to put bilstein shocks and a modest lift on a 2018 4R w/KDSS. Close to Lenexa is a plus - any recommendations?

Thanks a bunch!

—Michael

Keeton Auto Repair would do it. Or 4wheel Parts. Stompers may, but you may get a penis sticker on your windows bc they're primarily Jeep. Keeton is a long time friend and is a car guy. I trust him for what it's worth. Stompers did do my extended brake lines. But I wasn't supposed to tell anyone or take any pictures of my FJ in his shop.

Yeesh, thanks for info. I called two local dealers and got told "no" .

Who does this work, doesn't put penis stickers on your car, doesn't give a s*** about pictures I'm not going to take or post on the Internet, and MOST IMPORTANTLY is a grown adult that is in business because they are ****ing great at what they do and trustworthy? thanks!

Yeesh, thanks for info. I called two local dealers and got told "no" .

Who does this work, doesn't put penis stickers on your car, doesn't give a s*** about pictures I'm not going to take or post on the Internet, and MOST IMPORTANTLY is a grown adult that is in business because they are f***ing great at what they do and trustworthy? thanks!

I have used 4x4Land in Topeka for some of my 4WD needs as well as others. They are in South Topeka.

Mike Starkebaum is the owner. 785-862-8008 Let them know the Studebaker guy sent you.

They do lots of conversions, rock crawlers, Jeep, Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, Ford (oh and Studebaker)

They did the front suspension and rebuild the rear axle on my 59 Studebaker car, just so you know. I don't trust that with many. I supplied all my own parts.

I also had 4WheelParts build the rear axle in our son's 70 GMC, but that was before I found 4x4Land or I would have had them build it.

Keeton Auto Repair would do it. Or 4wheel Parts. Stompers may, but you may get a penis sticker on your windows bc they're primarily Jeep. Keeton is a long time friend and is a car guy. I trust him for what it's worth. Stompers did do my extended brake lines. But I wasn't supposed to tell anyone or take any pictures of my FJ in his shop.

When I quickly read this yesterday I mis-read the strong recommendation for Keeton. Thanks again!

I have used 4x4Land in Topeka for some of my 4WD needs as well as others. They are in South Topeka.

Mike Starkebaum is the owner. 785-862-8008 Let them know the Studebaker guy sent you.

They do lots of conversions, rock crawlers, Jeep, Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, Ford (oh and Studebaker)

They did the front suspension and rebuild the rear axle on my 59 Studebaker car, just so you know. I don't trust that with many. I supplied all my own parts.

I also had 4WheelParts build the rear axle in our son's 70 GMC, but that was before I found 4x4Land or I would have had them build it.

Thanks for this. I'll be sure to call 4x4Land.

Honestly, I didn't know that 4WheelParts did this type of work either. I thought they were just a parts store.

Best,
Michael

Would these shops mentioned (4WP, Keeton or 4x4Land) be the go-to-place for ARB locker or limited slip diff upgrades on a FJ60. Would this be better suited for a transmission shop?

Edgar's Transmission in Bonner. "Locally" i highly recommend them. A lot of great cars go through that shop. Tim is also a great guy to deal with. Outside of that. 4x4 Land is the obvious choice. Only bc they do it everyday. 4WP I wouldn't be too sure bc they are majority jeep and since Jake has left. He would be the only one I would trust there.

Would these shops mentioned (4WP, Keeton or 4x4Land) be the go-to-place for ARB locker or limited slip diff upgrades on a FJ60. Would this be better suited for a transmission shop?
Any of these would be better than a transmission shop because this is a differential, not a transmission. Not trying to be snarky, just serious.

4WP has one guy that does nothing but diffs all day, every day.

I had 4x4Land do the Dana 44 diff on my 60 yo Studebaker. Yes, I trust them!

You'd be shocked about what they know. Learn about the shop before making assumptions. Just saying.
Maybe you could enlighten us?

Every transmission shop I've encountered in this area want to rebuild my transmission when it was a solenoid pack. I told them what it was, they still wouldn't listen.

Most do transmissions very well but that's all they do. God forbid they have to actually diagnose something and have it attached to other parts of a vehicle.

That said, I have yet to find ANY dealership that aren't a bunch of idiots and only install 1/3 of the screws they take out.

That's why I do the majority of my own work.

Maybe it's just your case on finding bad transmission shops? Edgar's is very reputable with classics and doing differentials. He's a drag racer. I've seen everything from hot rods and 4x4 builds getting differential work. He's a family owned company. Someone asked for a reputable shop. So i suggested some that i know are good.

And what do you think transmission shops do? They work on gears. I'm sure most can handle something as simple as a differential.

Man, you act like I suggested a place like certified transmission or AAMCO.

Maybe it's just your case on finding bad transmission shops? Edgar's is very reputable with classics and doing differentials. He's a drag racer. I've seen everything from hot rods and 4x4 builds getting differential work. He's a family owned company. Someone asked for a reputable shop. So i suggested some that i know are good.

And what do you think transmission shops do? They work on gears. I'm sure most can handle something as simple as a differential.

Man, you act like I suggested a place like certified transmission or AAMCO.
Unfortunately, my experience has been with those transmission shops in the Merriam / Olathe / Overland Park area. Yes, most seem to act like the Certified Transmission / AAMCO type facilities.

Thanks for the recommendation to Edgar's in Bonner. I will file them away for my future use as well.

Most of the race shops and folks that really knew what they were doing have closed because the repair / rebuild volume isn;t what it used to be. I used to use an engine shop in Gladstone, but they closed over 15 years ago now.

I'd still love to talk to you about your locker install. I've set up many makes and models over the years for friends and family. Just did a Ford 10.25 1 ton truck a few weeks ago. set up my gears behind my cummins swapped 80 series and gears in a hot rod 6bt cummins lx450 series. I just started to do side work about a year ago after leaving corporate america as a mechanical engineer to start consulting. I fill in with cruiser work specifically because I enjoy it.

I'd still love to talk to you about your locker install. I've set up many makes and models over the years for friends and family. Just did a Ford 10.25 1 ton truck a few weeks ago. set up my gears behind my cummins swapped 80 series and gears in a hot rod 6bt cummins lx450 series. I just started to do side work about a year ago after leaving corporate america as a mechanical engineer to start consulting. I fill in with cruiser work specifically because I enjoy it.
Don't forget setting up a OEM Dana 60 in a Land Cruiser..... not too many people have done that...

Don't forget setting up a OEM Dana 60 in a Land Cruiser..... not too many people have done that...
ya, that's a very unique one for sure. But dana 60's in general I've done several. gears set up is the same no matter the brand, all the same technology/gear form. each brand uses different ways of shimming and moving the components to align that add complexity or simplicity. Of course toyota is on the side of simplicity. like I said I enjoy working on them...

To close out the my original question in this thread, I went with Keeton to install my Toytec lift kit and picked it up today. That guy likes to geek out on Toyotas, for sure, and I'd go back.

Anyone had any work done by Adventure-motors in Lee's Summit Mo?

I’m looking for a suspension installer for my 200. These guys can do it but are pretty expensive. Will definitely check out Keeton.

I have - rock sliders, skid plates, and front cam +anytime cam. They were nice and did what they said they were going to do, when they said they do it. It was a good experience.

Anyone had any work done by Adventure-motors in Lee's Summit Mo?

I’m looking for a suspension installer for my 200. These guys can do it but are pretty expensive. Will definitely check out Keeton.

My son bought 4runner from them. They may do a good job. But, if they don't, they don't stand behind their work. The owner hides behind the fine print. They did not do good work on his truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom