Jeep competition - new Bronco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never bought a vehicle new, and probably never will. Just doesn't make financial sense (at my pay grade anyhow). I don't want to experience $20k in depreciation over those first couple of years (pickup for example). I suppose if you have a business then leasing new vehicles might make good sense.

Anyhow, I won't be buying one of these regardless. I just think it's neat when something new like this comes out and the manufacturer puts in a decent effort in terms of features and looks. But they are certainly not something that is going to be maintainable on the road for 30+ years like an old landcruiser. Just too much going on for sure.

I think emissions is a big reason for the complexity we're seeing. Imagine how much power the new diesels would be making without EGR, particulate filters, after burning etc. Also the efficiency would be incredible with were CRD tech is at right now. The weird shifting you see on the new 10spd gas fords is all about fuel economy - keeping those revs low as possible all the time.

I'm going to keep running my LJ78 as long as there are no major issues. Body is bad enough now it's not worth an engine swap; so when 2LTE is done, the truck is done. At that point I'd love to buy another landcruiser like an 2005+ HDJ100 or something, but not sure I can truly justify $30k for a 15+ year old vehicle. I suppose I could rebuild another older cruiser with a clean body; but I just don't have energy to do everything again that I have done to mine. 2011-2015 F150's with 5.0 have a pretty solid reputation for low maintenance cost, lasting well and good fuel economy. Their cost has come way down. Might just go with one of those as it's a good family truck. For the family sedan might go electric - also used of course.

I feel buying anything new is dumber than buying a boat. It’s all disposable crap that won’t be on the road in 20 years or collectible in 40. Im not even going to go into an unhinged rant about how much effort, time or $$ it is to change a minor part in anything new. Even the dealers struggle with the new stuff often causing other problems unplugging the spider web of wiring harnesses to work on anything. A nice welded aluminum boat Is a much more fun deep dark pit of despair to throw your 40,000 Into, repair costs probably equivalent too. Not that there’s much fish left to catch.. I blame DFO for not restricting commercial quotas more. Anyway back to trucks. I will dive my old cruisers pulling my boat and trailer at 20K under the speed limit on the hills till the millennials ban the combustion engine probably in about 5 years. Yeah yeah I’m a millennial too but just barely, we are different than the younger ones. Us elder millennials were also spanked and smacked upside the head as kids. That’s why we appreciate the old things like a nice fossil fuel sucking combustion engine clad in real metal.
Even millennials don't like millennials. :lol:

I don't like new stuff either, but what always bugs me is that they go through all this trouble to do a "retro" exterior and then completely abandon the concept on the interior.
I guess the technology to improve efficiency is changing so fast it's pretty hard to make anything that'll still be worth having in ten years. Not that they try. Car makers have fully embraced disposable culture .

As for fishing...don't be surprized if an outright ban happens before too long. Can blame DFO, but also blame Harper. He cut dfo so much that the wife and half her friends had to get different jobs. And the old neighbour the rabid conservative wondered why Mel almost ripped his face off when he asked if he could put a sign on our yard. :lol:

Hah! Covid beer sometime soon?
Hells Yeah!

Covid beer would be awesome. Been a long time since I got honked at sitting behind a 3b in 3rd gear trying to claw it's way up the malahat. :lol:

I hate to say it, but I’ve seen videos and this truck is sure as heck well made.
Its run most of the big and nasty trails down south without a wimper.
Someone leaked an R version, race truck. Thinking, the second hand market
just opened up in 3-4 yrs a lot of used j**ps!
So what’s the opinion on using IFS? I’ve not heard any issues with the full size
IFS but not really listening to the interweb on this. Modern technology has caught
up. Anyhow, just rambling. HiluxJeremy is doing a cross Canada trip and should
be dropping by later today, cloudy and rainy day so I’m not walking. Just me‘n the
loons here at the lake.

I hate to say it, but I’ve seen videos and this truck is sure as heck well made.
So what’s the opinion on using IFS? I’ve not heard any issues with the full size
IFS but not really listening to the interweb on this. Modern technology has caught
be dropping by later today, cloudy and rainy day so I’m not walking. Just me‘n the
loons here at the lake.

Heh, on the way to work today I watched a little IFS suv of some type (they all look the same) back onto the main drag near me (MacKenzie Ave) from a decline driveway. He backed over the curb a bit and one of the rear wheels stayed up in the air. So bizzare as it really only needed about 4" of travel to stay on the ground.

Anyhow, I'm assuming the Bronco is pretty good on most accounts. Probably similar to the new Ford Ranger in design. I'll have to look up some of those wheeling videos.

I went to home depot the other day, came out and my cruiser was surrounded by FJ's. One beside me was on 37" tires. I took a quick look underneath, and it looks like it took a fair amount of effort to lift it that much. Would be interesting to see it wheel a technical trail. I much prefer my solid front axle thanks.

IMG_20200823_115705092.jpg

loons here at the lake.

Took a couple minutes at morning coffee to watch some of those videos. Those trucks do pretty well, but good thing they come with sliders/shields, as they were well used!

Heh, on the way to work today I watched a little IFS suv of some type (they all look the same) back onto the main drag near me (MacKenzie Ave) from a decline driveway. He backed over the curb a bit and one of the rear wheels stayed up in the air. So bizzare as it really only needed about 4" of travel to stay on the ground.

Anyhow, I'm assuming the Bronco is pretty good on most accounts. Probably similar to the new Ford Ranger in design. I'll have to look up some of those wheeling videos.

I went to home depot the other day, came out and my cruiser was surrounded by FJ's. One beside me was on 37" tires. I took a quick look underneath, and it looks like it took a fair amount of effort to lift it that much. Would be interesting to see it wheel a technical trail. I much prefer my solid front axle thanks.

View attachment 2416820
Someone, PLEASE cut the roof off an FJC. Cut the side doors down 4". I do know the FJC might be harder or costlier to lift
but I wouldn't say anything poorly about the offroad performance, that's a wicked suspension - it's just such an fugly f'n thing!!

One of the biggest downside to independent suspension is the diff doesn’t go up as much when a wheel goes up over an obstacle. Aside from that, the CV joints get worked more also.

One of the biggest downside to independent suspension is the diff doesn’t go up as much when a wheel goes up over an obstacle. Aside from that, the CV joints get worked more also.

I thought the diffs were stationary in a sub frame in the IFS systems?

One of the big downsides is the IFS stuff really blocks access from below to the engine bay. I'd hate having to work on one.

I thought the diffs were stationary in a sub frame in the IFS systems?

One of the big downsides is the IFS stuff really blocks access from below to the engine bay. I'd hate having to work on one.

They are. The whole end of the vehicle does go up some when a tire goes up. With independent, the diff doesn’t move relative to the vehicle... with solid axle, a centred diff will lift +/- 1/2 the amount of the wheel relative to the body.

KISS... solid axle has fewer parts to break/wear.

A long time ago, buddy of mine had a second gen 4runner. I had my first bj40. This is probably the late 90's.

He was always going on about how IFS was the superior system because of ....reasons. :lol:

So one day, at the house there's a pile of dirt and some railway ties. I throw a couple on there so we can have a proper island4x4 "whip it out and wank" ramp competition.

He was so convinced he would beat me because my 1800's technology suspension was no match for modern engineering...he drove on, got a quarter of the way up, and lifted a tire and got stuck. Tried it in reverse, got a little further, but the same happened.

So I pull up to it, rattle all the way up and have to stop or I'll go completely off the top end of the ramp. :grinpimp:

Of course I left the 40 there all day so he wouldn't forget. :lol:

In his defense, he did have the grace to admit that I completely humiliated him.

Although that was much later after many beer. All with the 40 still on the ramp :rofl:

Warthog version - yes, Warthog On 37" tires from the factory. Now it's getting interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom