SOLD JDM engines: Mitsubishi 4M40 / Toyota 15B-FT, 15B-FTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know that some 24v HZs came with a smaller starter, but I have no idea about the application....

I bought a 15B-FT a few days ago; @SteveJackson will be bringing it over in his next container of Land Cruisers, so it'll be a few months before I see it.
67445789-ed2f-4029-a16f-81a351ad031a.jpg
dedfd9cd-53fb-4157-8436-6b7b450714d4.jpg
66b7b18d-1e42-4c1b-8ae6-cf9144e18e9f.jpg

I bought a 15B-FT a few days ago; @SteveJackson will be bringing it over in his next container of Land Cruisers, so it'll be a few months before I see it.

Wow, that looks great, congratulations. I'd love to put one of these with the auto and everything into a LJ78. I think it's the perfect motor, and seems it would fit really well.

What do you plan to put your motor into?

Interesting to see - 15BFT megacruiser spec? Rear hump sump etc is good. Not common to see them with rotary IP and the small 2" intake. Is it the CT12B setup same as the coaster or is it a CT26?

Strange questions - do the megacruiser blocks have a serial number (flat on head next to the thermostat housing)

Interesting to see - 15BFT megacruiser spec? Rear hump sump etc is good. Not common to see them with rotary IP and the small 2" intake. Is it the CT12B setup same as the coaster or is it a CT26?

Strange questions - do the megacruiser blocks have a serial number (flat on head next to the thermostat housing)
Hi.
Im out of town now. When I get to yard where engines are kept I'll check in details.
For now I share link.
Probably you will need to register.
You can check engine details, numbers here. Just look at 1996 year model line up.
This link is for megacruiser bxd20.
My engines from bxd10, that's ex-military.
Almost all the same just body and interior parts different.

For fitment in a Landcruiser, 15B will fit an H55F (if it has the correct B input shaft) if you have a bellhousing and *all* associated components from a B series landcruiser. NB: BJ4X cast iron bellhousing and BJ7X alloy bellhousing set the gearbox at different angles.

There are various flywheels (8 bolt), the larger ones from a coaster with 2 piece bellhousing won't fit, I'm not sure what size the megacruiser ones are. I ordered a new flywheel as mine is a coaster engine and too large.

Note: 15BFT is usually mechanical inline injection pump (PCV hose comes out side of rocker cover like a 15BF), 15BFTE usually rotary electronic (PCV hose on top of rocker cover as per images above)

From what I have seen of pics online, the military megacruisers seem to be 15BT (8 valve version), 15BFTE and NO4C. the 15BFT seems to be limited to the Coaster bus.

I will be doing a write up in a thread soon, as I get mine put together and installed in a BJ42 :)

I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty certain that there was never an eight valve 15B. I think the term '15BT' is vernacular.

The 15B-FT came in both rotary and inline pump versions.

The donor cruiser you want for this is an 88+ BJ60 or BJ7x with the updated 3B (aka 3Bii or 'blue block' 3B) which has the 8 bolt flywheel, 5 journal cam and piston oil squirters etc. Then you can drop a 15B-FT straight in, and use the 3B's transmission, flywheel, starter, oil pan, engine mounts and reinforcement braces. I believe the alternator bracket and crank pulleys can also be swapped over. That gets rid of the 24V problem. The glow screen can either be run at 12V with heavier cabling, or swapped for a 12V screen from an Australian 1HD-FT. Then you only need to sort the steering lines, air intake and exhaust.

Got an 89 BJ60 waiting for exactly this 😁

Last edited:
I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty certain that there was never an eight valve 15B. I think the term '15BT' is vernacular.

There are supposedly 15BT from BXD10, looks like a 14BT but the block stamped 15B. Pics below from "4 Wheel Auto Wholesale" fb page, who state they pulled this engine from a military spec BXD10 megacruiser.

This block pictured is not the same as my 15BFT block. I think stroke is same between 14BT and 15BF but bore is slightly larger on the 15BF. Perhaps the 15BT was a bored out 14BT to give the megacruiser more torque, and the 15BF engines came later.

Most of the time when people say/write 15BT they're actually referring to the multivalve engines (15BFT or more often 15BF+T)

1601915820570.png
1601915849862.png

There are supposedly 15BT from BXD10, looks like a 14BT but the block stamped 15B. Pics below from "4 Wheel Auto Wholesale" fb page, who state they pulled this engine from a military spec BXD10 megacruiser.

This block pictured is not the same as my 15BFT block. I think stroke is same between 14BT and 15BF but bore is slightly larger on the 15BF. Perhaps the 15BT was a bored out 14BT to give the megacruiser more torque, and the 15BF engines came later.

Most of the time when people say/write 15BT they're actually referring to the multivalve engines (15BFT or more often 15BF+T)

View attachment 2456631 View attachment 2456632

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I stand corrected! It does look exactly like a 14BT (or like my 3Bii with a turbo, DI and underslung oil filter!) and very different from a 15B* with the fluted valve cover and single run crank pulley.

I don't see any listing in the EPC for a 15B so wonder if it was a pre-production prototype? On my 3B, '3B' is cast proud in big letters. That block seems to have been ground and stamped.

Thanks again for sharing.

Good to watch out for when buying though... I want my 16 valves!

Last edited:
I don't see any listing in the EPC for a 15B so wonder if it was a pre-production prototype? On my 3B, '3B' is cast proud in big letters. That block seems to have been ground and stamped.

There is no publicly available EPC for the military versions AFAIA ;)

Good to watch out for when buying though... I want my 16 valves!

It's very easy to spot the 15BF series head - it's much wider! The rocker cover breather is a good way to spot the electronic version.

There is no publicly available EPC for the military versions AFAIA ;)

It's very easy to spot the 15BF series head - it's much wider! The rocker cover breather is a good way to spot the electronic version.

Not posting it in the EPC makes sense. I definitely wouldn't want one of those, must be a PITA to find any 15B-T specific parts, if there are any.

Yep, not worried about mistaking the 8 valve version, but descriptions are not always clear when buying engines!

Last edited:
Not posting it in the EPC makes sense. I definitely wouldn't want one of those, must be a PITA to find any 15B-T specific parts, if there are any.

It was in several other models including the civ mega and coaster buses.

It was in several other models including the civ mega and coaster buses.

Read back In the thread. No listing of a 15B-T in the EPC. 15B-F, 15B-FT, 15B-FTE yes. But not the 8 valve 15B-T.

Read back In the thread. No listing of a 15B-T in the EPC. 15B-F, 15B-FT, 15B-FTE yes. But not the 8 valve 15B-T.

Seems like people are using their terms loosely here.

I was told at some point that some of the early bxd10 had 15b blocks with 14b heads. I have a bxd10 with an 8-valve engine and another with a 16-valve 15b-fte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom