Events/Trails January Trail Run - Schubarth Trail - 1/19/19 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who: All CLC members and friends
What: Schubarth Trail Day Trip
When: Saturday, January 19th, 2019
Where: meet at Alta (formerly Western) convenience store on US 24 in Crystola (south of Woodland Park)

Meet between 8:30am and 9:00am
Depart the Alta store at 9:00am
Drive US 24 to Woodland Park. Take Rampart Range Road to Loy Creek Rd. Depending on snow, should be an easy run 3-4 difficulty.

Bring a lunch, we'll stop along the trail
Bring recovery gear/chains if you have them just in case.
Bring a snow sled if you want, may find some areas to sled.
Should be done be early-mid afternoon

details about Schubarth Trail:
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/451-schubarth-trail-co

Reactions: SAS
Ran this trail with a couple other built 80's last weekend and required chains on one of the big hills. Crew of Jeeps came in as we were leaving and apparently one of them rolled somewhere along the trail and was recovered a couple days ago. Bunch of snow on the trail this year, so be safe, make sure your winches work, and have your recovery gear handy!!

Last edited:
Ran this trail with a couple other built 80's last weekend and required chains on one of the big hills. Crew of Jeeps came in as we were leaving and apparently one of them rolled somewhere along the trail and was recovered a couple days ago. Bunch of snow on the trail this year, so be safe, make sure your winches work, and have your recovery gear handy!!

For sure. We pulled line more than once and needed chains too. It was a good day though:)

We had a blast and couldn't have asked for better trail conditions for snow wheeling. This Saturday looks like it will be nice and sunny!
You both should come back out with us this weekend! Looks like WP may get some more snow on Friday as well.

You both should come back out with us this weekend! Looks like WP may get some more snow on Friday as well.

If I can't find anyone else to go out and do a different trail (no offense), I might tag along! Trying to get out to one of gulches but haven't seen much report on them.

@black95 can speak to the Schubert incident. The quick version is 11 hour recovery, one recovery vehicle slid into a tree, snowcat, and a zombie winch..

Unfortunately I can't make it. First one I have missed in 10 years..

CO4x4RnR had two major recoveries in the past week.
One was on Shubarth- it was a Subaru that got locked in during the snow storm last Friday night. First team went out at 10:30. A Ford Raptor on that team ended up in a tree, and put a badge of honor on his bed side. I thought I damaged my winch pulling him sideways. After looking at it, It turns out my winch is fine though.
There was another on 315. It happened Saturday at the slide off spot. I scouted it, and helped come up with a plan for extraction. They went out Wednesday morning and got it. Took eight team members. Two of them were PowerWagons. They work well in the heavy recoveries.
It’s pretty bad up there right now.

315 recovery.
8C798B91-55D4-4CBF-9177-A6A7D0EC7F2C.jpeg
4714729D-5740-4952-BFDA-7FFD68235B19.jpeg

Shubarth Recovery.
7109A493-5F57-4DAF-9003-7FF0693BC68E.jpeg
516247D1-B80E-4178-BFFF-C2F2050375C2.jpeg
B736C083-573E-4019-BF01-9062EF790E05.jpeg

@black95 Thanks for the trip report! We passed the Raptor and crew when we were leaving. We had seen the Subaru. Glad it was extracted, it wasn't really in a good spot on the trail. The trail had fresh snow on it when we hit it that morning. Our front man struggled quite a bit making new tracks on the hill climbs and some of the off camber sections. Thankful for winches and chains!

I kind of question what the Jeep was doing to end up like that. I know pictures/videos sometimes don't do justice to the terrain, but it looks like he was on a fairly straight and flat section of trail. What's up with the tracks to the left on the hillside?

Schubarth and surrounding trails seem to be taking a 3-4 vehicles per year when it has snow on it.

Last edited:
The tracks to the left were where he attempted to self recover, by climbing up the hill, and winching to that tree. Unfortunately, he did that twice, and choked both trees with a steel cable. That really upsets me. I stalked this guys FB Page before the recovery. He’s a real winner. Notice the rear of that Jeep is all smashed in, and you can’t see that the front bumper and steering is all wrecked. He only bought that Jeep about 8 months ago. Basically, he’s an idiot. He got back up on the trail once, and decided to attempt that crossing again. That spot is extremely treacherous. It is off camber, and there is a rock in the middle, that kicks you sideways. There are quite a few vehicles that have rolled there. Remember those teen boys that went missing a year or two back? Went fishing in a Jeep and never returned? They went off in that same spot.

Given the miss by forecasters up north of the Springs (no offense Kyle ;)) I may have to pass. My wife was taking our son back to CSU tomorrow. I have to plow us out and if roads are still sketch tomorrow morning, she won't likely want to drive it. I'll post up later tonight for sure....

Actually the only place we really missed was the Palmer Divide, cold air arrived a bit faster than we were originally thinking. Teller County only had 1-3" so far and its about done there.

Given the miss by forecasters up north of the Springs (no offense Kyle ;)) I may have to pass. My wife was taking our son back to CSU tomorrow. I have to plow us out and if roads are still sketch tomorrow morning, she won't likely want to drive it. I'll post up later tonight for sure....
I’m out for tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom