JAN ROTM: Rug Road > Turkey Creek Jan 13-14 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More fun in the dark
7D_22398-small.jpg
7D_22400-small.jpg
7D_22403-small.jpg

Leaving Klondyke Country
7D_22407-small.jpg

The long road home
7D_22410-small.jpg

Great pics as usual Stepmurr. Thanks!
Metro, three knuckle studs backed out and before the 4th did, Saddletramps keen eye spotted the gear oil leak from the truck in front of him and stopped the caravan. With some sharp spotting , 2 of the knuckle. Studs were found back on the road and some borrowed studs made for a good field repair. A good reminder to check the 76 ft lbs of torque on your knuckle studs occasionally.

Reportedly got down to 30 degrees in the wee hours of Sunday morning but we hung around the constant bonfire !

Reportedly got down to 30 degrees in the wee hours of Sunday morning but we hung around the constant bonfire !

My dash gauge said 28 degrees when I left camp.

Had a great time guys. Too short of a trip for me. Wish we could've hung out longer.

Graham woke up shortly after we left and commenced to chattering away and clapping his hands as we hit the creek crossings. He hung in there until we hit Klondyke road and promptly passed out again.

We stopped for gas in Pima and he was ready for a sandwich and Cheerios.

IMG_20180114_113820_375.jpg

Great pics as usual Stepmurr. Thanks!
Metro, three knuckle studs backed out and before the 4th did, Saddletramps keen eye spotted the gear oil leak from the truck in front of him and stopped the caravan. With some sharp spotting , 2 of the knuckle. Studs were found back on the road and some borrowed studs made for a good field repair. A good reminder to check the 76 ft lbs of torque on your knuckle studs occasionally.

Thanks for the report @murf but it wasn't me who asked.

Here are some pics:

rr1.jpg

rr2.jpg

rr4.jpg

rr6.jpg

What a great place!

I really wanted to come, but soccer tournament with the Mrs AWOL prevented me coming.

Sorry I missed this! It looks like a great time was had by all.

What repair was needed on that 80? Great pictures.. How cold did it get?

THat was me. I lost 3 of the 4 knuckle studs that hold on the steering link on the passenger side. They didn't shear, which was a huge drop of luck, they just lost torque and fell out. A full front axle rebuild is now in process.

A huge Thanks to Red Steve, White Steve, Alvis, Murph, and everyone else that jumped in and helped me get back rolling.

Who's FJ40 was on the run? I would have gone but was worried the old beast wouldn't make it. I would love to hear how it did on the run.

Who's FJ40 was on the run? I would have gone but was worried the old beast wouldn't make it. I would love to hear how it did on the run.

Would be interested in this as well. Never crossed my mind that a stock FJ40 in good running order wouldn't be able to make this run. Now my lower back in a FJ40 is another matter.

Yep, it was @Stepmurr but his 40 is a little more than stock. Steve did mention the journey last year was much more comfortable in the Taco.

Thanks again @medtro for the loan of the chainsaw, unfortunately the wood was too hard for the old chain and mostly just smoked.

@Living in the Past gave me his two old saws but I didn't get the Homelite running before the trip. Thank John for the saws, once I have them both running I will offer one of them up to a club member.

Yep, it was @Stepmurr but his 40 is a little more than stock. Steve did mention the journey last year was much more comfortable in the Taco.

Would be interested in this as well. Never crossed my mind that a stock FJ40 in good running order wouldn't be able to make this run. Now my lower back in a FJ40 is another matter.

Hoping to get my 79 up and running so I can compare it to my 68/70. The one year I had my 79 registered remember it was a much softer ride then my 68. Even with Lock-Right diffs front and back do not see me using my 68 much anymore.

Lost one brake light, then two, then by the trip out Sunday morning I had two again.

Time fer sum 'lectrical work I suppoze :hmm:

I took my 65 LV on this trail about a year ago. It's pretty stock with no rocker protection or lockers. I had no problems at all. I think it would be even easier in a 40 due to the tighter turning radius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom