James Baroud RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
WhooHoo :bounce::bounce2: Just got the call from Nomad Ventures in Escondido that my tent is in! 9am appt this Saturday to go down for the install on the INTI rack. If you followed my Spot or Flood thread, all new Lifetime LED light bars are installed all around the rack and the rails of the INTI are off the truck. Totally different look and love the LED light bars as they sit very flush with the sides of the INTI and below the level of the rack floor.

I'll take pics of the install and finished product and post up when I can.

Can't wait to see the pics! Unfortunately, I won't see them for a week or so unless you get them posted quickly... headed to the ranch located on the Western Slope of Colorado where there is no interest or cell service:D

I love my hard shell RTT.

You will love yours!!!!

The ease. It's the best.

Congrats Brent!

20170722_100115.jpg
20170722_100126.jpg
20170722_100146.jpg
20170722_100141.jpg

Brent, the new lights and tent look great!

Thanks. Happy with it. Had some issues with the rack and brackets from tent. The horizontal cross bar depth plus the half inch of the vertical slats rendered the bracket bolts about 10mm short! With the great help from Nomad Ventures in Escondido, and a few runs to the hardware store, we made up some longer bolts brackets to get home. I'll clean those up as i have time. Bolts would have been perfect for Thule/Yakima bars at 70mm, but the INTI needs 80mm length!

Super happy with the slim Lifetime LED' s from Southeast Overland too. Even replaced the low beams with plug and play lights.

Very nice Brent! I'm betting you can have this thing set up and be sitting with a cold beverage in the amount of time it takes me to unzip the cover on mine. Can't wait to see it on the next trip.

Yep! Visited Mark after installation for a look and popped it open and locked in about a minute. Breakdown wasn't too much longer. Guess I watched enough videos on how to do it!!

British Open is over so time to put some marine fiberglass polish and UV protectant on it.

Last edited:
Great visiting with you Saturday afternoon Mark! Too bad is was so late in the day. Traffic home sucked as usual just north of the border checkpoint all the way thru San Clemente. Will be damn glad when they get thru with all the construction at Pico!

Looks like JB doesn't offer any of their brackets with longer bolts. Response said they've made some with longer bolts for other applications, but no offer to make/sell any to me. I've got a couple of ideas so I guess I'll visit my local fabricator that made the lid for my trailer and see what he might be able to do for me. As I don't weld, it'd be impossible for me to make something sturdy enough.

Great visiting with you Saturday afternoon Mark! Too bad is was so late in the day. Traffic home sucked as usual just north of the border checkpoint all the way thru San Clemente. Will be damn glad when they get thru with all the construction at Pico!

summer traffic plus construction has made the drive to OC brutal. My dad's house is in El Toro and the drive has really sucked this summer.

cool you had time to stop by and let me check out the JB. after using a tent again i'm sure i will be looking for other options :)

another option on the bolts is to thread a bolt into a plate that slides into the channel, without welding. glad to help out if needed...

another option on the bolts is to thread a bolt into a plate that slides into the channel, without welding. glad to help out if needed...

My SIL's boyfriend that helped last Saturday had the same idea for the middle bracket to get it to slide past that pesky center bolt holding the C channel. I dropped off one of JB's brackets with a local fabricator that had done the lid on my trailer. It's such a small job that he might not want to do it. He's checking with McMaster-Carr on what M8-80MM carriage bolts they have. They've got them. Thread is only 22mm long, which should be plenty of threading to secure the lower bracket below the cross bar. The 70mm bolt on the JB bracket comes right to the bottom of my crossbars, so the 80mm would give 10mm below the crossbar for the bracket and another 12mm to allow for the bend that occurs on the lower bracket when you tighten the lock nut. OCD me would probably take those bolts and a die to put a little more threading on them 'just in case'! o_O On tapping the center bracket and threading in a piece of all thread M8, I'd want to put a tack weld on the bottom for a little extra security/strength. It may take doing that!! BTW - a bag of 25 bolts at MC is only $8.60. I can source a full thread bolt from a UK company - 14 of them plus shipping for only $23 and its for A4 stainless bolts. They must have a US warehouse as shipping was only $6.

I may hit you up if my fabricator isn't interested in the job.

I may hit you up if my fabricator isn't interested in the job.

sure, just LMK.

you could also determine the plate size that fits the channel (LxHxW) and then counter sink to accept a flathead. depending on thickness it could be threaded or welded. the whole carriage bolt method is a little rube goldberg. better off using a thicker plate and bolt or ATR threaded and/or threaded and welded. all in SS304 or SS316.

I'm all for better ideas. Just copying what came at this point, but I think it's going to take a flat bracket to slide past that center bolt in the C channel. I'd prefer stainless as well given the application and exposure. I don't think the plate is thick enough to countersink anything. Even the std carriage bolt head on top of the bracket hit the carriage bolt head dropping down from the tent in the C channel on one of the ends.

I'll PM you the specs on the bracket alone. If you're up for some fun, I'd buy lunch!

Quick update - purchased some 80mm bolts from McMaster-Carr and had my local fabricator weld them to the brackets I had. He ground down the bolt heads on two of the six brackets so they's slide under the center bolt. Reinstalled the tent last Saturday and the ground off bolt heads slid into position perfectly. Tent is now secure with six brackets so it'll be plenty sturdy. After I got the brackets back from welding, I did spray all but the bolt threads with some galvanizing zinc spray from Lowes to protect the raw weld points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom