It's big, thick, and black! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep- You see a ton of silicone blue hose all over the big Detroits I look after. Seems to live.

I'm almost all done!

Only thing left to do now is the[STRIKE] front bumper[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]winch[/STRIKE], roof rack, [STRIKE]RTT[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]trailer[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]clean up some wiring[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]new stereo[/STRIKE],[STRIKE] new lights[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]new suspension[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]new tires[/STRIKE], new gears, tcase gear change, intercooler, tranny upgrade.......

Reviewing some old info. Just think once I get the 80 done, I can finally start on the 45! Or perhaps the house.....

Tow your 45 over here and take care of your house.

what is it made off? I’m guessing not stainless.

what is it made off? I’m guessing not stainless.

Not stainless, I cheaped out on that part. Just regular exhaust pipe material. As an update the silicone hose had started leaking recently, and while John was tinkering with some things for me recently, removed the hose and extended the pipe through. The original intent on the hose was to prevent any vibration and/or the pipe hitting the bumper, but this extension works just great with about a 1/4" clearance all around the bumper opening.

Also just realized this exhaust is almost 4 years old now, doesn't seem like that long ago! While John was tinkering with things, he was guessing by the look of the back section, after it goes up and over the rear axle, that there looks to be about a years life left in it. We will just replace that section when the time comes as everything forward of that appears to be just fine still.

MIne is 3 yrs old and 90,000 kms. No issues at all for corrosion or leaks etc. The flex section has taken a few hits, otherwise it is excellent.

that doesn’t seem like a long time before it has corroded. is that the same exhaust they’re offering now?, and is the outlet after the turbo 3 inch or do they keep the original one?

I got about 4-5 years out of my steel exhaust. Built a new one out of stainless so I won't have to worry about it for quite a bit longer this time. The materials are a bit more expensive, but the labour is still the larger part of doing a full exhaust.

My new 3" exhaust, courtesy of Ateb.

No more diesel fumes from my leaking flex connection, no more fart can, and it sounds pretty f'n great I think.

It's a little more responsive off the line, not quite like 'Mad Max flip the blower switch and get thrown back in the seat', but it definetly feels like its got more go. I can only guess about lower egt's as gauges are still on my to do list.
(and yes I know blowers don't have switches, but you tell Mad Max that!)

Referencing The Road Warrior ™. Awesome.

that doesn’t seem like a long time before it has corroded. is that the same exhaust they’re offering now?, and is the outlet after the turbo 3 inch or do they keep the original one?

You can get it either in SS or regular exhaust steel depending on your budget. The turbo outlet is larger, in one of my posts on the exhaust there is some pictures of the enlarged outlet., I'll see if I can find the link.

edit: Found it...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/another-3-hdj81-exhaust.428174/

I think the SS might be a thing of the past. I've asked for it and it's all aluminized steel now. Kinda disappointed but I'm still going thru with it

I think the SS might be a thing of the past. I've asked for it and it's all aluminized steel now. Kinda disappointed but I'm still going thru with it

5 years on mine- very limited corrosion- no concern. Flex pipe starting to loose the 'mesh' a bit but mine is in the wheel well. Very satisfied.

Jeff you got pics on how it exits under Jason's bumper. I modified mine but it rubs somewhere and I'd like to solve that

Well the sun is out now, so here are those pictures John. A year or so ago Dr. Voo removed the silicone connection into the bumper as it was leaking, and replaced it with a solid section of exhaust tubing. I was concerned about rattling at first as there is only 1/4" or so clearance around the hole in the bumper, but it barely moves and no rattle.
Overall the exhaust looks to be in pretty decent shape still after all these years (5 1/2 now). Lots of life yet still. Photos should be in order of "back to front".

20160529_133512_HDR.jpg
20160529_133503_HDR.jpg
20160529_133446_HDR.jpg
20160529_133436_HDR.jpg
20160529_133423_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom