It's been two years already? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Damn,

Thought I'd just had a smog done on the cruiser, but it was June, 2016! Time flies when you are having fun I guess. Dumped a bottle of Techron fuel and injector cleaner in the old gal just to clean things up. Don't know if it was needed or not, but I'll run most of that tank, fill her up and take her in for smog...again. Hopefully the corroded O2 sensor connector in the engine bay SD Trux found awhile back will have permanently solved my 20 year old O2 sensor issues. Per my DMV smog record my first smog fail was back in 1998 and I've had another one since then, so I'm blacklisted as a gross polluter for life with the beast. Given her history, I'm always a little nervous when getting her smogged. We'll see...

I think once you're on the blacklist you're stuck. Hopefully not, but good luck!

Blacklist for a gross polluter means a Star Station. You can never get off that list from what I understand. Used to mean a test only station. Two years is standard protocol for testing anyway. Shoot - even my Prius turns 5 this October and will need smog every two years. At least it's only the idiot plug it in and take a look at a few things. Our beasts still have to go through the tailpipe sniffer, gas tank pressure test, gas cap test, etc.

A smog is a smog, the criteria don't change. The star stations are just stations that won't repair your vehicle, just test it. This keeps the stations from taking advantage of you. Whether that is necessary, well probably not in our case, but there are lots of low income mechanically challenged folks out there so this is more for protecting them from fraud.

Frank

yes, i believe frank is correct. i have never failed smog but have to go to test only shop for years now. it is actually amazing how clean these trucks run, but as awd, the test is not under load...

yes, i believe frank is correct. i have never failed smog but have to go to test only shop for years now. it is actually amazing how clean these trucks run, but as awd, the test is not under load...

Interesting that with no fails you're also labeled a gross polluter! For every pass I have, it's as clean running as the day I bought it!

My previous cruiser, a 60 had a very bad smog day and got apparently registered a gross polluter. I had already been going to star stations for years so it made no actual difference on way or the other.

Frank

You may not be labeled a gross polluter. It's say so at the top of your notice. We all are smogged every two years unless you own a new car that's exempted for 5 years. You'll laugh - my Prius will be 5 this October and will have to be smogged too!

Before 'Star Stations' came into being, we 'labeled' gross polluters had to go to a test only station so some unscrupulous station couldn't rip you off for unnecessary repairs (would any auto repair station even do that? :confused: ). To this day I still go to my little smog guy that used to be a test only station outside of 2 years ago when an employee had taken over ownership and had to get re-Star certified with the state. He is now, so probably headed there Saturday...after I get the engine nice and hot!!!

Damn,

Thought I'd just had a smog done on the cruiser, but it was June, 2016! Time flies when you are having fun I guess. Dumped a bottle of Techron fuel and injector cleaner in the old gal just to clean things up. Don't know if it was needed or not, but I'll run most of that tank, fill her up and take her in for smog...again. Hopefully the corroded O2 sensor connector in the engine bay SD Trux found awhile back will have permanently solved my 20 year old O2 sensor issues. Per my DMV smog record my first smog fail was back in 1998 and I've had another one since then, so I'm blacklisted as a gross polluter for life with the beast. Given her history, I'm always a little nervous when getting her smogged. We'll see...
i found changing my charcoal canister and gas cap makes a world of difference.

Thought the charcoal canister was a discontinued part from Toyota? I recall a thread in the 80's tech section about a GM (I think) replacement that works.

I've smelled gas every now and again, but not frequently and after 24 years and a quarter million miles, it probably should be replaced regardless.

Found a JDM canister off Megazip.net out of Singapore (main office) with whse in Japan and elsewhere. Supposed to be OEM parts. Cost shipped from Japan is $275 which isn't too much worse than what we would have paid domestically if it was still available. Stay tuned as it should be here no later than July 13.

May not wait that long to smog the beast as license plate expires in August. MY OCD wants the smog reminder taken care of sooner rather than later! Boydmick would understand.

Well...passed smog with flying colors so I've got another two years. JDM source for the charcoal canister came back with discontinued also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom