Isuzu - Round2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm quite impressed with the Isuzu. Enough so that I'm putting one in my other 60.
The Battle Wagon will have an Isuzu powered sister..

A friend gave me the incentive by donating an engine.
Here it is fully dressed, but was told something serious could be wrong with it.
isu2-0bb.jpg

The good new is the engine was free and it appeared to have had a recent rebuild, probably less than 5K miles on it. NEW aftermarket head, valves, springs, cam, pistons, etc.

The bad news is a broken rod bolt resulted in some major carnage. No block damage though.

Engine sat out in the rain for a couple months before I picked it up. Some water in the cylinders.

Just opposite the typical 4BD2T to have a pristine top end but broken lower end.
isu2-1bb.jpg
isu2-2bb.jpg
isu2-3bb.jpg

Carnage list included bent rod, destroyed crank, bent rod and broken cam.

After finding a good used crank, an old cam & connecting rod, new cylinder liners and pistons were purchased.

Cam fresh back from the cam grinders.

New liners and pistons installed.
isu2-4bb.jpg
isu2-5bb.jpg

A/C in Florida is a must.
This time decided to mount the compressor on the drivers side for easier injection pump service.
The compressor in it's original location low on the block would compete for space with the steering box. So fabbed up a bracket to move the compressor and alternator up. Since a vacuum pump won't be needed (hydroboost), the alternator sans vac pump could go higher.
isu2-10bb.jpg
isu2-11bb.jpg

The Isuzu's Zexel compressor was frozen up. Decided to go with a Sanden 508 compressor. They are common (IE cheap), very durable, and can be serviced easily without any SST tools.
A big plus is they can be had in versions with flare fittings.

After a quick seal replacement and cleanup, a sanden508 gets installed.
isu2-8bb.jpg
isu2-12.jpg

Oil pump drive cover before, and Oil pump drive after with Toyota gasser 2F distributor internals mounted in order to use factory in dash tach.
isu2-16bb.jpg
isu2-17bb.jpg

I had a small piece machined so the 2F distributor stator could be attached to it.
The pump cover was drilled and seal installed.
isu2-13bb.jpg

New machined piece pressed into the top of the oil pump drive.
isu2-15bb.jpg

Drive and new shaft protruding through the pump cover, Toyota stator screwed into top of shaft, magnetic pickup mounted, ready for service.
isu2-16.75bb.jpg

This time the luxury of a 6" of lift isn't there.
I'll attempt to work within the confines of a 3" lift.
I cut off the side sump of the oil pan and welded in a cover in hopes for good differential clearance.
isu2-21bb.jpg

Pics of the completed engine ready for install.
Isu2-b compl.jpg
isu2-c compl em.jpg

Night before last took the old girl out for it's last ride with the 6.2. It has provided me with over 10 years of good service. Kind of like losing an old friend.

But I look forward to having to the added MPG and having an engine with a turbo.

The 6.2 comes out barely fitting through the rad support opening.
Isu2-27bb.jpg
isu2-28bb.jpg

Isuzu Diesel Swapper Adapter installed.

NV4500 and split case attached.
Isu2-31bb.jpg
isu2-32bb.jpg
Isu2-33bb.JPG

Impressive!

:clap:

FL,

Man, you and I are on the same line of thought! I am building my second Isuzu right now and I was planning on doing the exact same tach drive to the oil pump cover and you beat me to it!

Nice work!

Have you played with it yet to see if the gear ratio on the cam to oil pump is close enough to be accurate with the Toyota tach?

Don

Thanks Don.

The oil pump drive turns exactly one turn for every turn of the cam, so the tach should be dead accurate.

The machined piece does block up the hole in the top of the shaft where oil would normally exit to lubricate the shaft in the top cover. A horizontal hole must be drilled to the center of the shaft for an oil supply. The ideal spot would be in the area of the shaft where it rides in the cover. But it's almost impossible to drill a small hole into the hardened steel. I had to drill a hole in the machined piece which exits above the surface the shaft rides on the cover. The oil should fall down into the surface area. I cut a small groove in the covers' surface area in one spot to help it drain down. I kept the hole very small so the oil pressure won't be too much to blow out the oil seal.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Steve

The part arrived, thanks. Let me know if I can help or you need anything.

Doug

Good deal Doug, Hope it's useable.

Now comes the tedious and time consuming process of test fitting.
It all fits well except the turbo outlet is too close to the master cylinder.
Hopefully the outlet can be clocked.
Isu2-38bb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom