Issues with 35's on a KZJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen plenty of kzj70 / kzj78's with 35's+, but have either had axle swaps (Patrol) or other modifications. I believe that the 1kz-t engine isn't the issue as there's plenty of torque, but I've heard of other possible failure points which include diffs, front knuckles, and mainly axles.

So my question is, is there anyone with a kzj70 that runs 35's, and uses it for heavy offroad and on-road applications, and hasn't experienced any issues? If there were issues, what were the culprits?

Thanks!

I've seen plenty of kzj70 / kzj78's with 35's+, but have either had axle swaps (Patrol) or other modifications. I believe that the 1kz-t engine isn't the issue as there's plenty of torque, but I've heard of other possible failure points which include diffs, front knuckles, and mainly axles.

So my question is, is there anyone with a kzj70 that runs 35's, and uses it for heavy offroad and on-road applications, and hasn't experienced any issues? If there were issues, what were the culprits?

Thanks!

I've been running 35s for a while with LJ78 4.88 diffs and haven't had any issues off road or on road. Mine has oem rear e-locker, and no prob there either. I drive pretty reasonably though. Don't turn when I use locker, don't use 4wd on high traction surfaces, etc.

I've been running 35s for a while with LJ78 4.88 diffs and haven't had any issues off road or on road. Mine has oem rear e-locker, and no prob there either. I drive pretty reasonably though. Don't turn when I use locker, don't use 4wd on high traction surfaces, etc.
Thanks! Apart from looks, have you had any noticeable benefits with 35s over 33s?

Thanks! Apart from looks, have you had any noticeable benefits with 35s over 33s?

I've only run 32"x9.5" skinnies, and 35"x12.5". So two different extremes. I use the little tires when I tow my camper, or do long highway trips. They are superior for that sort of thing. And I use the big tires for offroad.

35x12.5 are awesome in every way off road in my experience. But I bet 33x12.5 would be fine also. It depends on what you do, and how much clearance you want, etc. Nice thing about 33 is they will fit much better without any interference. Also, the KZJ7x has 4.3 diffs, so would be better suited to 33 tires. LJ7x has 4.8 gears, so works good with 35.

Heres an old thread of mine if it helps: LJ78 100mm lift on 35s - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lj78-100mm-lift-on-35s.1232042/

Thanks @GTSSportCoupe! To be honest, I intend on doing the same. Keep my 33s for everyday use, and for offroad adventures ill swap in a set of 35s.
Re. the 4.8 gears, I will need to confirm this as I believe i have the 4.88's in. The 4.3's were swapped out before I got my hands on the car... i might just get lucky.

Thanks for the link. Gna have a look at it now!

I run 35/10.5r16 tyres on my LJ70 and my LJ78 (both with 4.88 diffs) and I don’t go easy on either of them and have not had any issues, before any long trips I always check brakes and wheel bearings just incase

369FFBEC-361E-4899-82C0-AAF1DF165E09.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom