issues after Head/timing chain replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
89 4runner 22re.. 200k miles.. Timing chain broke. we pulled off the head and replaced it with a new head, did the timing chain at the same time, new timing chain cover..

The truck starts and runs ok, then as it heats up it starts to hesitate a bit and stumble.. we played with timing and the idle air control till we got it to run better.. Now when you twist off the oil cap the engine starts to die out and it has quite a bit of pressure coming from under the valve cover..

a freind of mine is telling me that it has to be the compresssion from the cylinder escaping past the rings/valves and getting into the oil cavity..

i did a compression test (this is at 6000 Feet in elevation)

#1 - 125
#2 - 115
#3 - 120
#4 - 120

any one have any ideas??
This is my first time digging into an engine, so wouldint be supprised if i F*cked something up.. :rolleyes:

no oil leaks.. Minor Vapor comming from the exhaust.. I put the Head Gasket on without any RTV or Sillicone..

:popcorn:

have you tried retorqueing your head. very important on these motors. it should be done between 500 to 1000 miles.

no sir.. no miles on the engine at all.. just about a combined 20 minutes of run time.. i have to pull the valve cover regardless to re adjust the valves..

thanks for the ideas guys! Keep them coming if you have any others!

Now when you twist off the oil cap the engine starts to die out and it has quite a bit of pressure coming from under the valve cover..

This is normal, every EFI Toyota engine that I've even worked on does this, including mine. The 3FE in my old Cruiser wouldn't even run with the oil fill cap off.

Have you checked the TPS?

ok, i readjusted the valves, its quieter now!

Had a buddy come over and do some adjusting to the Air Flow meter and idle air control, he also played with the timing a bit and got it running pretty darn good.. its still hesitating a little bit, but its not bad!

we are going to drive it for a bit and see if it gets better or worse!

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom