1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good candidate for a diesel donor aka BJ60 wanna be?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by RIDDLER, Aug 24, 2006.

1. RIDDLER

RIDDLER

I picked up this 1981 FJ60 for super cheap locally ($1200). I originally was going to part it out so that I could keep the transfer case, trans, and engine for a restoration I am doing. It runs well and has a nice conferr roof rack I wanted. Then I started thinking that this might be a good candidate for a diesel conversion. It has 157k on it. Runs well. Clean frame. Clean title. Never a East coast rig. Always PNW

Bad parts: rear deck upper and lower are bad (found parts in junk yard). Drivers fender bad (junk yard). rear fender lips are bad also. I checked inside the rear fenders and there are some holes there also.

Here are some photos. Please share your thoughts on this FJ60. I could care less either way as I know I can find a cleaner 60 if I keep looking. I can part this out if the consensus is that it would be too much work and $$ to make a diesel truck.

thanks

Aaron Riddle
    Spokane, WA

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  2. fe sus

fe sus

part it out and finf a rust free rig before you begin... for $2500 you can find one with no rust and save lots of time at the body shop...

3. RIDDLER

RIDDLER

thanks

That is the way I was leaning.

thanks

4. jearl

jearl

Where's the best place to find a rust free FJ60?

5. seapotato

seapotato

south western states I'd say.

cheers,
    ryan

6. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

7. jearl

jearl

Hard to tell without being there in person, but from the looks of it Riddler, your cruiser looks more solid than mine. If you can't stick a screw driver through that rust then you're doing better than me :) I'll have to update my sig, as I just bought another rusted out BJ60.

8. Martin White

Martin White

Japan, but that would be an HJ61....well, I had to say it. I've seen a few come over that looked almost brand new. I don't know what they do with their trucks over there but some are so clean looking you wonder if they ever really used them.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">