Is this 81 worth fixing -- Head Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have found an 81 SR5 with 225K for $300. drove it home and noticed it was slowly overheating (about 20 min). Replaced thermostat/Radiator cap and checked fan clutch. I was told it had a new water pump so imagine they were trying to fix a overheat issue. I do believe there is a little water in the oil/milky coolant. Head Gasket???

Body is in decent shape, some rust in the rockers, A/C blows cool (compressor kicks in), pops out of fifth gear, needs tires, windshield cracked, everything a little worn but intact. Paint is shiny and the eng compartment and everything else has not been hacked up like normal 30 year old vehicles. The other big issue is the where the Cab mounts to the frame is rusted...i mean gone.

I would love to just drive it for what it is.....the question is Is it worth replacing the HG...and if I change the HG is that all I should change...it is only a $300 truck and I cant see putting hundreds of $$$'s in it....but I do love it for some reason?

Thoughts???
1.jpg
8.jpg
4.jpg

Word - yes.

Easy. Compared to the complexity of most modern transmissions, that old L tranny's a walk in the park. we have a half-hearted thread here on recommendations for local toyota-only shops, and mayhap there's one in your area who could do you right.

for the record: every first-gen truck is worth saving... they're incredible!

Good to know! I'm popping out of 4th myself, one of these days I think I'll order some parts and crack it open for a look.

these trucks are soon becomming classics .. all the rest of them are being cut up and modified or worse yet CRUSHED ..

the "good" ones are getting far and few between

big hell yeah! fom me

I truly appreciate all the responses. I found a little more required work (RHS FWD rear leaf spring attachment point on frame RUSTed completely). Everything else looks pretty good (LHS has already been fixed by PO). I plan on getting this frame issue squared away then jump on the Head Gasket. I plan on changing the HG and just drive drive drive. Ill post more Pictures if you guys are interested at all.

Again thanks for the input...I'll do my best to save it.

I had one of those, just like that but blue. Bought it in '86, actually traded my '83 Honda 500 Interceptor for it. Had it for about 2 months and a tree jumped in front of it, that was the end of that. But it was the truck that got me hooked on Toyotas, I've never owned anything but that brand since then.

Well I changed the Head Gasket, took me a little longer than I thought it would but IF I had to do it again....I could do it in half the time. The problem Im having is it is still running hot. A couple of questions:

Where should a Temp Needle sit on an 81, i haven't had a chance to drive it around but while it was just idling the temp was rising past half to 3/4 (just like it did prior to the HG change) thats when I shut it off.

What else could be causing it to run hot...PO said it had a new Water Pump...I put in a New Thermostat and checked Fan Clutch, it Works..Upper and Lower Rad Hoses are Hot, Timings good, Valves are adjusted, plugs are the appropriate gap. What am I missing???

also did you get the Toyota thermostat, the part # is in here i think in the faq, but do not get it through your local stealership, call CDAN or BENO!

OK a little update...Flushed Rad/system and its running right..not hot. Got the frame welded (added more iron and weld)....more of a temp fix not pretty at all. Ill start to drive it regularly tomorrow, really just wanted a vehicle for the winter. Long story short is this 1981 is saved....or rather its life is extended a bit more. 225,000 miles and still going. Not sure how much more life is left but Ill give it a shot.

Thanks to everyone here, I think Ill stick around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom