Is it worth it to update the maps for the factory Nav? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

for $9 on ebay, I decided to get it. They list the Gen 4 nav disc as being for a 2005-2006 GX470. It also says it's for the whole North America and that 2016 is the final year for Gen 4.

According to this thread, 2003-2004 GX = Gen 2/3, 2005-2006 GX = Gen 4, 2007-2009 GX = Gen 5.

Well, I got my disc today and tried to load it into my truck. It seems to install the system update ok, but once it was booted up, it would switch between displaying the map and displaying a disc dirty or unable to read disc error.

I do see how they are selling it so cheap - it's not an original disc, just a copy of the original. I'm wondering if my drive has an issue with the DVD-R used.

Well, I got my disc today and tried to load it into my truck. It seems to install the system update ok, but once it was booted up, it would switch between displaying the map and displaying a disc dirty or unable to read disc error.

I do see how they are selling it so cheap - it's not an original disc, just a copy of the original. I'm wondering if my drive has an issue with the DVD-R used.

That sucks. We have an ‘08, when we bought it used it still had the “2007” DVD in it. We upgraded to the newest version I could find off Amazon. I think it was 2016. Is has the whole US and Canada on the one disk. I think it’s worth the ~$20 or so we spent. It’s best for when we’re in Canada and can still search gas stations, etc without using data roaming charges on our phones.

That sucks. We have an ‘08, when we bought it used it still had the “2007” DVD in it. We upgraded to the newest version I could find off Amazon. I think it was 2016. Is has the whole US and Canada on the one disk. I think it’s worth the ~$20 or so we spent. It’s best for when we’re in Canada and can still search gas stations, etc without using data roaming charges on our phones.
Did the same thing off of Amazon. Disc loaded just fine and the updated maps are nice to have.

My disc did eventually work. After I got the refund, I figured I had nothing to lose and I tried some plastic polish on the disc. Seemed to take care of whatever the issue was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom