Is it worth it to update the maps for the factory Nav? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Knowing they will never be as updated as phone map programs, it would still be nice to have a back up for when I'm on service roads or areas with poor signals.

Is it worth it to update them or just keep it where it is?

I don't think suffering the hassle of bad software and glitches warrant updating the already marginal OEM nav experience. I would rather spend my time having fun.

I keep a tablet and a phone with downloaded maps.

I found the 2016 disk (last year they supported it) on Amazon for $35 which was cheap enough to go ahead and buy. Ironically there are times I am up in the high country on back roads and the GX NAV shows the road but my GAIA downloaded maps do not. I like having it there as a reference still. Even for city roads to help me get around a back up.

I picked up a disc off eBay for the final map pack for ~$20. I like having it as a back up. And same as cosport, there are times I end up in areas where my GX nav will show the road I'm on but phone/gps aren't working - this is usually in steep canyons/areas surrounded by mountains/right up against the mountain/on weird BLM roads that don't appear on my other maps. Seems worth it to me. The only complaints I have about the factory nav is the pain to enter addresses/locations. Other than that, I like it, does what I need it to do.

I recently bought the latest disk for my '07 off eBay for $12. It is a nice upgrade, no more nanny demanding you press Ok before using the screen. I'm happy with the update overall!

The only complaints I have about the factory nav is the pain to enter addresses/locations. Other than that, I like it, does what I need it to do.
Yeah using it for actual navigation is a joke. 🤣

Oh, if you're gonna buy the disc, being in GA it looks like - make sure you get an east coast disc...they're specific to the side of the country. East Coast disc will have points of interest for that half, so you can type in names of places. Won't be the most up to date, but will have most of the estalished places.

Oh, if you're gonna buy the disc, being in GA it looks like - make sure you get an east coast disc...they're specific to the side of the country. East Coast disc will have points of interest for that half, so you can type in names of places. Won't be the most up to date, but will have most of the estalished places.
Odd the one I got has the entire country and I have to choose the region. But I also have a 2008 so that might be the difference.

Thanks for the replies and input. Went ahead and invested the whole $11.89 for a new dvd.

I don't think suffering the hassle of bad software and glitches warrant updating the already marginal OEM nav experience. I would rather spend my time having fun.

I keep a tablet and a phone with downloaded maps.
yep, predownload Google maps, probably other options out there too

I found the 2016 disk (last year they supported it) on Amazon for $35 which was cheap enough to go ahead and buy. Ironically there are times I am up in the high country on back roads and the GX NAV shows the road but my GAIA downloaded maps do not. I like having it there as a reference still. Even for city roads to help me get around a back up.
Do you have a link tot the one you bought? Which U version is it?

Ordered a new dvd from ebay for $11. Took more time to move the seat up to get access to the drive than it did to update it.

Might not be the most up to date nav but it's nice knowing it's more up to date that it used to be. I'm now driving on roads that actually appear on the map. 👍

Thanks for the help guys!

So will this update an 04 navigation? On amazon it lists as low as 07.

I'm not really sure? There may be updated dvd's for the older nav system? Probably best to lean on some of the experts on the site.

Can you install both East and West? Just curious. What happens if I install East and I drive West? :oops:

Can you install both East and West? Just curious. What happens if I install East and I drive West? :oops:

The only difference is for Points of Interest. You can do everything by address. I have an East disc and ended up moving to Utah, so I just do everything via address/gps coordinate (for off road).

Points of interest just let you put in names instead of addresses.

Also, nav generation changed halfway through GX, you can google the different nav versions. Pretty sure the 04 is a gen 4 nav, 07 and up is gen 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom