Introduction to "Rocki" - 76 FJ40 - Eventual Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend I pulled the trigger a local 76 FJ40 here in Missoula. Best I can tell, she's spent her entire life in Montana. She's got rust, but appears to be a nice rig. I'm leaning on keeping her in her stock stance and wheels.

I've made a small list of items I need to deal with and overall missing / replacement parts.
  • Fluid change
  • Inspect / rebuild brakes
  • Inspect / rebuild front knuckles
  • Inspect passenger window - won't roll down all the way
  • Replace all filter - fuel, oil, air, etc
  • New plugs, etc
  • Buy some miscellaneous parts - hub caps, weatherstrips all around, hood hinge screws, 1 windshield rest block, antenna, exterior passenger door handle
  • Stock stance vs lift decision...
    • New tires​
    • Inspect / replace shocks & springs​

She's got some rust in the normal places, the undercarriage looks really good. Eventually I'll replace the sill and a few other areas that need to be addressed. Want to leave as much of the original paint as possible. The front seats were tore up by a rodent.

Original manuals, including the 1978 Warn Winch.

i-46d9KBg-XL.jpg

i-4NQbqZz-X2.jpg

i-SjKz3KK-XL.jpg

i-3mXghvc-L.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

It looked to be a solid rig.

Apparently I spotted that same rig up on the north side of Zoo in the spring!

1565960263237.png

Excellent find. I also have a ‘76 that I am in the process of finding missing bits. It was originally Mustard and will be returning to that color. Also needs rear sill and quarters as well. My manu date is 3/76, what is yours?

0966EA68-6790-4C7E-AD22-6F0B616D6C89.jpeg

April 1976 (VIN #222060), how close are we? Nice looking rig and good luck finding those bits @tls3601 :)

Excellent find. I also have a ‘76 that I am in the process of finding missing bits. It was originally Mustard and will be returning to that color. Also needs rear sill and quarters as well. My manu date is 3/76, what is yours?

View attachment 2059865

Last edited:
April 1976 (VIN #222060), how close are we? Nice looking rig and good luck finding those bits @tls3601 :)
It is up North. Will be up there later tonight/tomorrow👍 See how close our numbers are.

Renamed from Vera to Rocki.

Anyone with input on stock stance vs lifting chime in. At some point, I'm going to have to address the weathered tires / suspension. Personally I'm torn on this decision, it will probably torment me for the next few months :(.

The axles, fluids, brakes, general clean up will consume most of my time over the next 4-6 months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom