Intro and 'check engine light' question (help!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, Eddie here. New to the forum.
After wanting a FJ80 I finally pulled the trigger. I found a reasonably priced LC locally and drug it home. Dirty but straight with a solid running motor. Definitely a project. Well, when I took to be smogged the tech said he didn't want to test it because the CEL didn't momentarily come on when he turned the key. He said it wouldn't pass if he went ahead with the test. He said the PO may have pulled the wire that runs to the CEL. Or the bulb may have burned out because the light had been on for a long time. He suggested I pull the instrument cluster and check. Well lo and behold the bulb was indeed burned out. Since I had the cluster out I went ahead and replaced all the bulbs with new. Unfortunately there was a wire that was disconnected and I'm pretty sure it didn't come loose when I pulled the cluster.
Anyway, I think it may be the wire that runs to the CEL. I've check all the wiring diagrams I could find but none showed wires to the instruments. Its a yellow with with grey bands. In the photo there is an arrow that points the an open spot in the connector. Should this wire go there and is that the correct wire? Has anyone else ever had this happen?
Thanks, Scrapedknuckles

Instrument panel (check eng) R1.jpg

You need to indicate what model year your LC. Through the years there have been three major iterations of the 80 series.

Looks like an OBD2 cluster? If so the CEL wire is yellow/red, terminal #6 on the blue connector, looks to be there. Most of the yellow wires are gauge fuse, there are a lot of them in the dash, but none go to that connector.

Yep, confirm the year.

From the 96 ewd, yellow wire (ignore the silver bands on the wires) goes to the grey connector (A5) which has no wire inserted in your picture. That is gauge power and DOES feed the CEL/MIL. The other side of the CEL/MIL is yellow/red and goes to the blue connector (B6) which does look inserted in your picture.

Hook an OBD2 reader in (assuming again your is OBD2...) and see if there are codes stored/set.

cheers,
george.

There should be a yellow (gauge fuse) wire in terminal #5 on the "A" connector. That position looks to be empty, between the orange and white wires?

There should be a yellow (gauge fuse) wire in terminal #5 on the "A" connector. That position looks to be empty, between the orange and white wires?

Yes, as per my post above your 2nd post :)

cheers,
george.

Yes, as per my post above your 2nd post :)

cheers,
george.

Sorry was on the phone and typing, slowly, didn't see your post before hitting post. Would you like me to remove it?:hillbilly:

^ no, that's ok, I'll let it pass this time :)

At least we both provided consistent info to the OP...

cheers,
george.

Thanks everyone!! Yes my LC is a '96. I found a useful diagram and correct, the red/yellow wire (CEL) goes to terminal 6. I'll hook up the yellow/silver wire to the correct terminal. Hope that gets things going in the right direction. i.e.: the 'check engine' comes on and opens up a new can of worms.Eeek! Haha Thank you. I'll keep everyone posted.

FJ80 instrument.jpg

Isn't it technically illegal to even sell one that way in California?

Did you do some sort of odd-ball, non-op transaction?

Well, I'm stumped. Replaced every bulb in the cluster, put the 'yellow' wire where it should go and no 'Check Engine light' on start up. The dash lights up real nice and bright now though. (gotta look for a silver lining and all) I checked all fuses and they're all good. Hmmm... Anyone ever have this problem? Crazy to have to WANT the check engine to come on! Hahaha Thanks all.

I'd check the ECU end of the B6 wire and see if someone pulled it from that end. I'd check the whole wire (maybe even cut somewhere along the length).

Have you put an OBD2 reader on it yet to see if there's codes stored/pending

cheers,
george.

Yes and yes. Obd said no DTCs. Which I find hard to believe. The LC has been sitting non op since 2013. All the fuse are good. I’ll check the wires to the ECU.

Well, apparently I'm a victim of my own stupidity. I put the bulb in the wrong hole. Lol The CEL now comes on at start up. And the best part: it turns off! :) I'm going the check my OBD and see if there any codes stored.
Thanks to all who gave advice.

Warning: I will have more questions in the future. Hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom