Intro and '99 Mod Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ajs

Threads
New member here. I just bought my first LC, a '99 in River rock mica with 162K miles and good (though not amazing) maintenance history. Timing belt had been done at 130K. PO had primarily used to tow an airstream. Shocks were kinda shot and KO tires needed to be replaced. Interior had a lot of sun damage and I'll be replacing the front seat covers (waiting on samples from LSeats.com).

Here are pics from the CL ad.

00d0d_9w1hi7XGxjp_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_iBWWcpcKU2T_1200x900 (1).jpg

During high school my dad bought a 1989 with 10K miles on it and he's had it ever since. That was the start of my LC fascination. It's amazing how much my '99 reminds me of his, it even smells like it.

The kids are calling this rig "Clyde".

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

Home and washed. CA legacy plates, FSM ordered. Next up - remove the running boards, replace tires, shocks and coils, and basic PM.

Running boards came off pretty easily.
IMG_8222.jpg
IMG_8225.jpg

I'm a noob wrencher and learning slowly, so I worked with Steven at RPM Garage in Monrovia CA to do some preliminary work. RPM added 285/75/16 KO2s, OME front and rear shocks, and OME 865 rear coils. Here's where we are right now.

IMG_8248.jpg
IMG_8256.jpg
IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg
IMG_8263.jpg

Rake is 2" right now, which is a little too stink-bug for my tastes. Next steps are to crank TB's and try it out, then get an alignment.

I'm a noob wrencher and learning slowly, so I worked with Steven at RPM Garage in Monrovia CA to do some preliminary work. RPM added 285/75/16 KO2s, OME front and rear shocks, and OME 865 rear coils. Here's where we are right now.

View attachment 1556810 View attachment 1556811 View attachment 1556812
View attachment 1556813 View attachment 1556814

Rake is 2" right now, which is a little too stink-bug for my tastes. Next steps are to crank TB's and try it out, then get an alignment.
Your on the right track, the mud flap delete mod is a nice touch, easy and fast. Then your into the armor phase or the make it more camper like. Get out and drive it with your dad.

Reactions: ajs
Your on the right track, the mud flap delete mod is a nice touch, easy and fast. Then your into the armor phase or the make it more camper like. Get out and drive it with your dad.
That's the plan. A little tricky because he's 300 miles away, but all the more reason for a road trip.

Looking like sliders may be necessary sooner rather than later... so my wife has a step. @cmck are you happy with your Slee sliders?

That's the plan. A little tricky because he's 300 miles away, but all the more reason for a road trip.

Looking like sliders may be necessary sooner rather than later... so my wife has a step. @cmck are you happy with your Slee sliders?
Yes, all my armor is slee, I’m pleased. I get into some bigger rocks at some of the offroad parks in the east so that influenced my purchase. Not much use for a desert truck back east, unless your not doing heavier wheeling and sticking more to mild or dirt roads.

There are some options out there in the last few years that can be considered. I did sliders before belly pan, mid and front skids. Not a lot before........

Sweet ride, I believe your color is one of the only ones that have the same color moldings as the vehicle on the sides... great catch! I have a 99 hitting 300k I’m the original owner.
You’ve got lots of life left in your Cruiser....

Sweet ride, I believe your color is one of the only ones that have the same color moldings as the vehicle on the sides... great catch! I have a 99 hitting 300k I’m the original owner.
You’ve got lots of life left in your Cruiser....

Thanks! I'd love to get to 300K.

My hood struts were totally shot when I bought the LC. I followed this writeup (thanks @og-91-lc.60933) and installed the Strong Arm lift supports. Easy, and awesome.

IMG_8315.jpeg

I had Steve at RPM in Monrovia look at my heater T's a few weeks ago. He thought they looked OK. It's possible they were replaced by the PO as the clamps on the vertical hoses are not OEM.

I decided to replace T's, hoses and clamps. I used the Four Seasons T's and silicon hoses from HPS.

Before.

IMG_8542.jpg

I razor-bladed the old hoses off and then assembled the new sets.

IMG_8543.jpg

Here's what they look like installed.
IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8549.jpg

My front seats were pretty thrashed when I bought my LC. I ordered samples from LSeat.com and they took about a month to arrive. I paid a local auto upholstery guy to install the new covers and make a cover for the center console. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

The leather is more pebbly than OEM.

Happy to send on my sample cards if anyone wants to see them (probably faster than the month or so it seems to take LSeat.com to deliver samples). PM me.

IMG_8757.jpeg
IMG_8759.jpeg
IMG_8760.jpeg

SWEET!

Seats look fantastic!

Reactions: ajs
I also have a '99 in the River Rock Green Mica with the ivory interior. Coincidentally, I also need to replace my front seats as the back of the driver's seat is completely thrashed. Which color code did you go with for your L-Seat replacements? I'm assuming their "Ivory" would be the right match?

Also, I'm totally digging the updated heater T/hose setup. Have any info you can share on the parts used if I wanted to recreate this? While I'm not too far from Monrovia, I'd rather save the drive if possible :p

I also have a '99 in the River Rock Green Mica with the ivory interior. Coincidentally, I also need to replace my front seats as the back of the driver's seat is completely thrashed. Which color code did you go with for your L-Seat replacements? I'm assuming their "Ivory" would be the right match?

I'm not sure about the Ivory. My color code (from the door decal) is LA10. LSeat recommended the S002 dim grey color.

Have you seen the samples from LSeat? I'd be happy to drop them in the mail to you.

Also, I'm totally digging the updated heater T/hose setup. Have any info you can share on the parts used if I wanted to recreate this? While I'm not too far from Monrovia, I'd rather save the drive if possible :p

Glad to hear it! I ordered hoses and t's from Amazon. These pliers were pretty helpful too. This video helped me get started - I ended up just cutting the old hoses away.

I'm not sure about the Ivory. My color code (from the door decal) is LA10. LSeat recommended the S002 dim grey color.

Have you seen the samples from LSeat? I'd be happy to drop them in the mail to you.

Glad to hear it! I ordered hoses and t's from Amazon. These pliers were pretty helpful too. This video helped me get started - I ended up just cutting the old hoses away.
Thank you for the info. What are the T's made of? Some kind of stainless or galvanized steel I am guessing? Or Aluminum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom