Intercoolers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
have you guys looked at or used these cheapo intercoolers off ebay?

FMIC, 32"x12"x3"... and it's less then 100 bucks.

Seems pretty cheap to me... I wonder if it will hold the 25PSI I plan to shove into my motor.

Do you have a link?

I would love an intercooler for $100
But something tells me it's to good to be true.
I doubt it would include all the nessacary piping etc..

I am pretty sure a DIY intercooler usually runs $400-500

On a seperate note: 25 PSI? That seems like alot.

Cheers,
Nick

ebay #140012799650

no piping.

this is a big'n... i'll scoot my radiator back... and slip it in front.

25psi... Cummins 4BT-powered 80-series (will have NV4500/Orion).

otherwise... I might go for an early (read: smaller) Dodge Cummins intercooler.

gifu said:
25psi... Cummins 4BT-powered 80-series (will have NV4500/Orion)..

:eek: 25 PST .. 4BT = 350 HP .. ?

I bought one from ssautochrome.com company on the east coast, carolina I think, was pretty damn cheap, did me a nice favour on the shipping as well which saved me some bucks with customs.

was 200 bucks cdn to my door here on van. island.

dunno about 25 psi, but it sure made a huge difference to the old 40!

Seapotato,

I'd like to hear what the difference was and how much of a difference it was. I was thinking of adding an inter cooler myself a while back and was assured it would give me about 20% more power, however I was more interested in spending less fuel and so passed on the opportunity.

Did you save fuel or did you add power and to what degree ?

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
Seapotato,

I'd like to hear what the difference was and how much of a difference it was. I was thinking of adding an inter cooler myself a while back and was assured it would give me about 20% more power, however I was more interested in spending less fuel and so passed on the opportunity.

Did you save fuel or did you add power and to what degree ?

Kalawang

heh, it added power.....:D

made an amazing difference to my egt's, I used to max out all the time, and the intercooler cooled it down a ton.

so as for fuel economy, I don't drive it a helluva lot anymore, but it's at least 20% more fun to drive.....:grinpimp:

I put in one of the biggish intercoolers, and I don't notice any turbo lag at all.

haven't figgered it out to be honest, but doesn't seem all that much different than before. my clutch is almost toast now tho so I'm not booting it as much as before, as it just slips if I'm in 4th and floor it.

BJ-44 said:
Around 25 psi of boost is stock pressure for the later intercooled Cummings engines.:)

:eek: at what compresion . ?

There's pretty much no difference between an Ebay 100 dollar intercooler and a genuine ARC intercooler of the same size except the tag and price. An intercooler is an intercooler.

The bit you need to take note of is that at LOW SPEEDS (IE: 4x4ing) an air-air intercooler is really an interwarmer unless you have some HUGEASS fans behind it on 24/7. My 1HZ is getting a water-air setup off a WRX STI when I get the turbo fitted because they're extremely effective at low speeds and i'll put a heatswitched thermo on the back of the radiator for the bunch so it comes on when it needs to.

More expensive, but infinitely better.

For water cooled do you mean engine coolant?
Even if it came out the bottom of the rad, wouldn't it be to warm still?
Also would an intercooler of an STI be big enough (air volume vise) to cool enough air for a 1HZ?

I saw water intercoolers on ebay, but I don't think they would work as well as air-to-air.

The SAFARI intercooler claims 25% More HP and 28% more torque.
I also hear it adds 1-3 miles per gallon.
The extra power and fuel savings would be nice.
The intercooler would pay for itself in the first year.

I know intercoolers drop your EGT's, so I wonder if you could turn your fuel up after.
You could get some real power going. However then you WOULD need a transmission cooler.

I guess the real question is: how good is the ebay intercooler?
Could it take the pressure? How much pressure could it take safefly?

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
Could it take the pressure? How much pressure could it take safefly?

I thought a few more PSI than you engine can handle .. so it means no problem IMOP

well... i went ahead and ordered one off ebay.

32"x13"x3"... 3" in/out tubes. A big'n.

I don't plan on pushing much more then 20PSI... though the 4BT can handle twice that. I will be using an aftermarket aluminum radiator... which will be mounted a bit further back then stock. Much like the Proffitt's 80:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=96454

The water cooled intercooler runs a completely seperate radiator that is basically tiny and mounts up front like a front mounted intercooler. You put a thermo behind it like a regular radiator. The difference is that instead of having the fan running constantly like an air-air, a water-air intercooler will maintain near constant temps regardless of RPM, boost or ambient air temp. So you really can tune the car PERFECTLY on the dyno. Also, the thermo on the 2nd radiator (which is effectively the size of a tranny cooler) is only activated when the radiator gets too hot.... less draw on your electricals. Other bonus, water holds like 6 times more heat than air or even more not sure on the exact figure. Takes a VERY long time to heat that water up.

All intercoolers heat soak, for 4x4ing and slow speeds, water-air is the only way to go.

And as for STI? STI stuff is rated to handle over 400hp, our diesels won't get anywhere near that, ever.

I am sure you are correct that air-to-air intercoolers have little effect at slow speed... but (and here, not trying to stir the pot or noth'n)... do I need it at slow speed? I'm more concerned about the full throttle, 75MPH, ascent to Tahoe (no friends on a powder day :) )

seapotato said:
heh, it added power.....:D

made an amazing difference to my egt's, I used to max out all the time, and the intercooler cooled it down a ton.

so as for fuel economy, I don't drive it a helluva lot anymore, but it's at least 20% more fun to drive.....:grinpimp:

I put in one of the biggish intercoolers, and I don't notice any turbo lag at all.

haven't figgered it out to be honest, but doesn't seem all that much different than before. my clutch is almost toast now tho so I'm not booting it as much as before, as it just slips if I'm in 4th and floor it.

Thanks for the answer.

Other friends told me their experience was also power but honestly, I feel I've already got more than I am willing to use. What I am looking for is fuel economy.

Kalawang

intercooler

try using volvo 240 intercooler. it is perfect for positioning on the front of the car. for my 80 i'm making a intercooler system on the top of the engine with air bonnet. When it will be finished you will se in on www.sahara.it but if someone want it i will send photos and text.

intercooler

try using volvo 240 intercooler. it is perfect for positioning on the front of the car. for my 80 i'm making a intercooler system on the top of the engine with air bonnet. When it will be finished you will se in on www.sahara.it but if someone want it i will send photos and text.

intercooler

try using volvo 240 intercooler. it is perfect for positioning on the front of the car. for my 80 i'm making a intercooler system on the top of the engine with air bonnet. When it will be finished you can see it on www.sahara.it but if someone want it i will send photos and text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom