Intercooler for TRD supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm interested :D :D :D :D :beer: :beer:

Group Buy? Turbofest? I'm in.

Al must be sneaking some trubo kits out of his stash or something. Christo bought the last two kits from al begining of last year. We have installed them here do not have any more, or heard of any more out there. Christo did contact Air Power systems to find out what could be done and christo would have to buy 25 kits from. With the dollar being what it is this would not be a great time to buy. It might be twice what TRD kits cost. due to the dollare vs the AZ dollar. Maybe AL has more than one kit hid for his special friends who really know. later Robbie

Oh great! Best time ever! Group buy on turbos. I'm trying to save up to buy a projector. 3-4k for a nice one to complete my home theater... 3-4k for a nice safari turbo... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I CANT TAKE IT!!!!!!!! :slap: :slap: :slap:

haha .. I can relate . I just blew $6000 in the last 2 months on funishing this condo . I can't recall how many times I get a whack of cash .. spend it all 'wisely' only to regret not blowing it on the cruiser !! Whats that Junk likes to say Dang nabbit !! hehe . Oh well the love shack is pretty well done , so it only makes sense to refocus on the 80 ... ;))

T

PS : You ought to see my sheers J , B and D ... you'd love 'em ! *wink*

Christo-

I know who you're talking about... ;)

That fellow will be getting back to you on Saturday or Sunday this weekend. He's supposed to be working on pulling the I/C then... I'll... er... he'll also send you the updated expansion tank and " radiator ". He's looking forward to working w/ you!

Jason

I'd also be interested in the group buy, as it probably would be the last chance we'll have of purchasing the Safari kits (I know, I don't even own a Cruiser, YET).

I don't think the Safari thing will happen. They do not have any castings anymore. When last I spoke to them, they wanted a commitment for 25 units up front, then they would get new pricing on the castings etc. Then when that is done, and the price has been determined, they want the money up front. Maybe wait 6-9 monhts for them to put the kits together. It would be a lot of $'s out there.

Also when MAF was selling at $4/$5k per kit, the Aus$ was 50c/US$. Now it is 75c/US$ so the kit will be more expensive to buy and thus retail will be higher. I can't see getting 25 people to buy $7k turbo kits. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

That would be 25 people to pay $7,000.00 for them up-front and wait 9 months to get them.

A tall order indeed.

That they have such conditions shows that there isn't any market for the Turbos. Otherwise they would send them very quickly. Just forget about the Turbo and remain with the Superchargers.

Mike

I'd go for a turbo too, but not at that price. If we could just get a well designed intercooler for the SC...

The deal was, if you order 25, they are ready within 6 weeks, if you order less than 25, you would have to wait until the production run of 25 was ordered, which could take 6-9 months, given the way the $ has gone, it would of been a good buy, at the time... ;)

And the supercharger will never make the torque the turbo does, with less stress on the engine than the hot intake charge of the supercharger.

I talked to Safari Australia and they said that you can't order one and wait until 25 are full. You must order min. 25 Turbos. So forget it !!!!

Mike

how much are you talking for one of those v8 turbos. as just the kit? and installed?

IMO an intercooler on a supercharged vehicle is a waste of money. On a turbocharged vehicle it would make sense however... My guess is that a water-air intercooler (commonly called "aftercooler") would actually heat the air up since most air coming in should only slightly be heated up by a supercharger (one of you guys would probably know more about this than me) which is why it caused Cory's 80 to run cooler - better cooling!

Regardless, there are a million factory intercooled cars out there. I'm running one from a Volvo 740 turbowagon in my FJ55. I would pull something from a junkyard car if it were me. If you are really set on having one made though, see these links:
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/links.html#intercoolers

And most importantly:
http://www.toyotaperformance.com/intercooler.htm

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=1626;start=msg89620#msg89620 date=1074003638]
Not the story they gave me. Are you talking v8 turbo or the I6 turbo?

Still want one of those v8 turbo's. Will pick up in July :)
[/quote]

That was what they told me when I was enquiroing re your V8 kits, we stopped the order when you went to the dark side after selling the 100 :D

[quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=1626;start=msg86531#msg86531 date=1073530533]
doesn't the 80 use the same block as the supra did? Anyone? If sooooo, I've seen those puppies jucied up to 1000hp no problem. If this is the same block with maybe a differently ported head for offroad potential - then using the supra twin or single turbo, wiring and ecu should work. Just something I've been thinking of for a while now. If anyone can tell me if the blocks are the same would be great!!
[/quote]

Wasn't the supra only a 3 liter? The supra is still in production in Japan...new model is due in the next year or two. Nice thing about the supra engine is the tons of accessories (like HKS head gaskets) one can buy, and cheap mods that increase horses. When my 22r 4-banger in my hilux eventually dies, the 3.0L I-6 supra is the most realizable swap in N.America (the 90-series 1KZ-TE would be a easier fit, though).

BTW, I noticed in the LC mag I bought in Japan that there are shops that will swap in a V8 (and swap out your diesel or TD in your 60/80/100) for $15K! The LC mag features people's rigs, tips on mods (there's a detailed article about what needs to be changed to lift an 80 5-6")...tons of aftermarket stuff for 80's and 100's.

[quote author=dieselcruiserhead link=board=2;threadid=1626;start=msg89901#msg89901 date=1074035507]
IMO an intercooler on a supercharged vehicle is a waste of money. On a turbocharged vehicle it would make sense however... My guess is that a water-air intercooler (commonly called "aftercooler") would actually heat the air up since most air coming in should only slightly be heated up by a supercharger (one of you guys would probably know more about this than me) which is why it caused Cory's 80 to run cooler - better cooling!
[/quote]

I guess it would be worth seeing what the temp. differential between engine compartment air and post-supercharger air is at normal operating temp...

Anyone got a pyrometer and a SC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom