Insuring a grey market vehicle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Fellow Cruiserheads,

Ok, a bit of a backstory. I came across a '91 HDJ-80 on Craig's List, and was very intrigued. Interestingly enough, it was advertised by a member on here, Chris Spaulding. I saw and drove the truck, made the deal, and had the truck transported down to Charlotte.

I called my insurance agent at Allstate, and they issued me a proof of insurance statement to take to the DMV, so I could register it. DMV would not register it, since I did not have a notarized bill of sale from Chris. Chris sent me a notarized bill of sale, along with the import paperwork. Prior to this, Allstate contacted me saying that they did not recognize the VIN. I proceeded to tell them it was legally imported, and I had paperwork. Scanned all the documents, and waited for their response. I am still waiting, FYI.

In the interim, I decided to go with another company just in case Allstate would not cover it. I went through multiple companies, including Hagerty- they denied me coverage since I was going to be taking it off road, and it wouldn't be suitiably garaged It's going to be in a carport, until I close on my townhouse in a month. REALLY!?!?!??! Are they expecting this truck to be a GARAGE QUEEN!?!?!?!? Anyway, Amica processed my quote, and then contacted me saying the VIN wasn't recognized, which turned out to be the WRONG VIN, and I emailed the representative back, with the right one. Still, I thought, I am going to try other ones, just in case it gets denied.

This morning, I contacted four companies. The fourth one, I hit jackpot. Liberty Mutual. Gave them all the information, and the VIN was flagged, i.e. not recognized. I told the agent over the phone, that I had paperwork covering the import. Emailed agent a zip file with all the documents regarding the import of the truck to the USA, from the Canary Islands. Half an hour later I get a call, agent says, "You are covered." I then told him the trouble I have been going through. He told me that what saved me was the EPA/DOT release form.

Word to the wise, if you are going to do what I did, make sure you have ALL your PAPERWORK. Thank you Chris, for sending me the paperwork. Originally, I wanted it for interesting archival reading- it had a copy of the original Spanish registration, which was cool, the shipping statement, and its port of entry I am into nautical stuff too.

Good luck to all when and if you do this. CHEERS!!

Riverrunner, to say that Chris is a stand-up dude, is an understatement. Even though I went into this deal with some trepidation which I articulated to him as I was once burned before on an FJ-60 from a dealer no less. I can say that I would deal with Chris again. He was so straight forward, that I was at ease. Granted, the paperwork issue was a setback, which in turn pushed back registration, and the insurance debacle. Nevertheless, in the long run, it was worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom