Insurance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at either buying a 1991 HZJ77 or HDJ81. Both will be here in March, but one of my concerns is insurance since this will be a DD and camping rig. How are you guys insuring these vehicles to cover the value of an accident occurred? Thanks in advance for your thoughts..

I've only got liability on my HJ47.

Due to the short VIN Allstate wouldn't insure it. I had to get a separate policy with 21st Century just for the Toyota.

Mind you, the local 21st Century guy got around the short VIN by putting something like X's or 0's as a prefix to fill out my VIN to 19(?) characters. I'm half expecting a call in the future that says, "yeah, the insurance we sold you is not valid..."

I called around today and apparently Nationwide is in bed with Hagertys now. Unofficially. A 25k policy with full comp/collision will only run me 675 a year with a 500 deductible. That includes no mileage limitations...

Check the Hagerty's policy carefully. We were going to switch our RV, 60 and 911, plus 2 regular cars to them. But reading the policy sample, we found they excluded any use off paved roads!

So the 60 would not be covered if we used on even a dirt road.

This killed a fairly good deal for us.

I use progressive in GA. They did not recognize the vin but they accepted an agreed value policy. Basically you tell them what you think its worth and you pay according to that. I change the value every time I make addition or mods.

I use progressive in GA. They did not recognize the vin but they accepted an agreed value policy. Basically you tell them what you think its worth and you pay according to that. I change the value every time I make addition or mods.
Thanks for the info I'll check into that, I hate to think I'll be sinking money into this rig and would be scared to drive it because I could lose my butt.

Thanks for the info I'll check into that, I hate to think I'll be sinking money into this rig and would be scared to drive it because I could lose my butt.
You definitely don't want to go the regular route because if anything happens the insurance company will give you the cash for a regular 80 series which would be really painful.

On another note, you will really enjoy the Diesel. All sorts of weird looks when they don't see a driver and lots of questions. I was recommended to buy from Canada as they have had the HDJ81 for over 10 years and they are quite plentiful up there and their mechanics know them quite well. And the drive back was just a huge bonus. Importing these things is easy as hell. I did a writeup on that just recently.

I used State Farm to insure my 77 Series. To insure it for an "agreed upon" value I had to provide an appraisal letter from the importer as well as numerous photos of the vehicle.

I used State Farm to insure my 77 Series. To insure it for an "agreed upon" value I had to provide an appraisal letter from the importer as well as numerous photos of the vehicle.
Thank you I'll talk with my agent as well, on that as I am with State Farm also.

Thank you I'll talk with my agent as well, on that as I am with State Farm also.
They make you jump through some hoops and the process can be slow but they have never had an issue with my request for "agreed upon" value.

I have used Progressive in the past and now am with Travelers. Both my 80 and imported BJ40 are insured with stated values.

My recently acquired HDJ81 is insured with State Farm. No collision or comprehensive just liability. My local agent who is very good to work with had a hard time with the short VIN number but they submitted my app to the main office and it was approved, no problem. i insured my BJ70 with State Farm a few years ago with no issues.

So if you total it you're just out the money?

Unless the other party is at fault, usually, yes.

In my case I got t-boned by a guy who ran a red light. I was only carrying liability, but his insurance company paid me approximately $8500 to total the vehicle.

This was in California, YMMV depending on your state's insurance laws.

I work in insurance. CHUBB is flexible but a bit pricey. You may want to try a local insurer, like Germania if you are in Central Texas. You can find a list of local insurers at your state's Department of Insurance website.

That being said, i insured my 1977 Scout II through Progressive! But I had to work the agent over pretty hard to make it happen! ;)

Also, try to get an agreed value policy, which is where you and the insurer decide the value of the car before the policy starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom