Inner bearing play between seal and race (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just rebuilding the Front hub assembly on my 100 series.
I installed new races, packed the bearings, installed the outer bearing and then the seal.

the seal sits flush the the outside of the hub but I am able to slide the bearing back and forth between the seal and race approx 1/8-1/4 inch. Is that the way it should be. I can’t think of how I could have f’d this up, so just needing conformation this is correct

I am just rebuilding the Front hub assembly on my 100 series.
I installed new races, packed the bearings, installed the outer bearing and then the seal.

the seal sits flush the the outside of the hub but I am able to slide the bearing back and forth between the seal and race approx 1/8-1/4 inch. Is that the way it should be. I can’t think of how I could have f’d this up, so just needing conformation this is correct

I'm not familiar with the IFS 100 series front end, but no that definitely doesn't sound right. Isn't there some way to preload the bearing?

Does it look something like this?

340a0918ca9bf92bc0aeca30306c06e0.png

Last edited:
Yes when you slip the hub assembly over the steering knuckle you preload it spin it and then Loosen and retorqye it

Thanks for the manual I do have it, just wondering if it is normal to have movement between the rear bearing and the seal.
I replaced the Outer race and greased up the Bearing dropped it in. And then pressed the seal in. It is flush to the outside flange. So I stick my finger in And notice the bearing can move back and forth just a bit but just wondering if I was given the wrong bearing or race or something or during assemble is thus normal

Is this before you push the assembly back over the spindle? I’m not familiar with
that front end, I’m just trying to figure it out in my head.

Sounds normal . There is room for the bearing to move between the bearing race and seal before it is mounted. Opposing tapered roller bearings will always have play before they are torqued together. Re-assemble and continue on.

Sounds normal . There is room for the bearing to move between the bearing race and seal before it is mounted. Opposing tapered roller bearings will always have play before they are torqued together. Re-assemble and continue on.
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom