Impressed with a question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
OK, it has been awhile since I have been in the diesel powered vehicle game- my first car was an 1980 Diesel Rabbit/Golf with the notorious headgasket issues, and was a PITA to fire up in Buffalo, NY winters. My Dad, who passed it down to me was not the most OCD when it came down to maintenance on it as oppsed to me, who is rather consistent.

Anyway, I haven't drvien my HDJ-80 since the 24th, due to being laid up with foot surgery (hammer toes) on 27 December, and it has been damn cold here in NC, teens overnight, and mid 20's low 30s during the day. Yesterday, I went out to the 80, hit the key, glow plug light came on for five or so seconds, went out, and fired it up. No hesitation from the starter compared to my DD WK Grand Cherokee I know, I am looking for an 80 or 100 for a DD soon, the 80 started like it was 60 degrees outside. Of course there was some smoke as expected, but no shake, and it idled nicely. Didn't drive it, since right foot is in a boot- but maybe tomorrow, since I get the stitches out.

While it was idling, the light show (turbo, alternator, t-belt, brake) began its closing down procedure as normal. Alternator gauge shot up to 14.5ish as expected, oil gauge started its slow climb to middle (running 5W30), coolant temperature stayed south (normal until it gets hot as it should), but the fuel gauge read a 1/4 tank. Now, I know the last time I drove it , I had close to over a half a tank of Diesel in it. Then it dropped to empty. No low fuel light does it have one kicked on. Is this normal? If not, where is the first place to look for the problem? I didn't get it to operating temperature, just ran it for about 3-4 minutes.

Cheers!!

There is a low fuel light, I can't remember if it lights up when you 1st turn the key to ignition position like the other dash lights, I can check when I go home tonight if I remember. Fuel gauge should register correct fuel level within seconds, I THINK mine actually holds the last reading from when it was shut off, but I know the needle doesn't rise after fueling up until after the ignition is on.

You're sure you don't have a big fuel leak under the truck?

There is a low fuel light, I can't remember if it lights up when you 1st turn the key to ignition position like the other dash lights, I can check when I go home tonight if I remember. Fuel gauge should register correct fuel level within seconds, I THINK mine actually holds the last reading from when it was shut off, but I know the needle doesn't rise after fueling up until after the ignition is on.

No fuel leak.... in fact, the leaks I have are minimal:clap:

No fuel leak.... in fact, the leaks I have are minimal:clap:

Needle stays were it is at when turn the ignition off. The fuel light is a switch in the tank's fuel sender and should only come on when the tank is empty so my guess is a fauly sender or a wiring short.

But, it behaved normally the last time it was driven...

fuel sender is at fault, mine reads 1/2 tank no matter how much diesel I put on it, some people say the ground will help, didn't help me...never the less, the low fuel warning light WILL light up when low on fuel, just put some then...just remember the tanks capacity and fuel it accordingly

UPDATE: Started truck the other day, drove it some, gauge behaved normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom