Importing to USA, best place to Exp. from? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My HDJ81 will be legal to import to the US in April 2015 (manufactured April 1990). I plan on selling it next year, Wanna wait a few months?

Last edited:
My HDJ81 will be legal to import to the US in April 2015 (manufactured April 1990). I a plan on selling it next year, Wanna wait a few months?
I'm sure the value will spike a bit when they are available to the US.

The market for bagged out Nissan GTR's has gone crazy since they can now be sold to unsuspecting Americans. I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar for cruisers...it's already happened with some of the early 70-Series trucks imported up here (BJ74's mostly...people are paying a lot more for them than they were a couple years ago).

I understand, sorry if I came across condescending, that was not my intention.
It is hard to summarize everything, as people make different experiences. I know of 100% legal diesel 80 series (quite a few actually), where people walked into a DMV, said that the truck is now a diesel, someone walks out, looks at it, and issues a diesel title. There are several of these in California, and many in other states.
Profitt's made a business out of their (extremely poorly done) 4B conversions. Torfab does amazing work putting all sorts of modern diesel engines into trucks. Johnathan Ward sells Diesels, Slee has some on their website (for amusing prices), the diesel forum here is full with US people with Diesels, anything from B engines to 1HDFTEs.
Some people say you cannot even get parts legally, other ship in half cuts without trouble, so the variation is enormous. Some people say that none of the trucks here are legal, other have 100% legal titles in hand. In brief, it is a mess, and the best is to talk to individuals. The threads about this on the forum often end with lots of misinformation, accusations and people tend not to give up their knowledge on a public forum.
Cheers,
jan

Hey! I have 1994 hdj80 legally imported in 1999 from Germany by original owner. He went through the process with an importer $$$. Actually, i have all the paper work since bought new in Germany. Thinking in selling it.

See that's the strange thing. There are a few guys on THIS board with BJ-73/4 in their driveway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions? :doh:

Actually there quite a few guys on this forum that have BJ73 / BJ74's in their driveways.

I have read many of the MUD threads on vehicle and motor imports and have some experience in the area. Also have read the regs.

My conclusions are that and motor less than 25 years old isn't allowed for import if used for over the road use.

That said, I know reputable firms are bringing in modern Toyota diesels and would love to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about - like an actual, professional US importer/installer.

Last edited:
I hope I'm understanding this correctly, but there is a loophole on the 1990-96 80 series? I want to import one from Japan, but all the 25 year old ones are gone. There are plenty of 1992+ to be had. What does it really take to bring them into DOT compliance? I also believe that the EPA testing is for 21 years old and younger. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly, but there is a loophole on the 1990-96 80 series?

The trucks can be made to meet DOT standards for importing newer than 25 year old trucks. Not a loophole necessarily.

I want to import one from Japan, but all the 25 year old ones are gone.

Not exactly:

Land Cruisers Direct - Vehicle Inventory

And I just bought 2 more last week, and there are 4 for sale today (tomorrow) in Japan.

What does it really take to bring them into DOT compliance?

http://federal.elaws.us/fr/notice/77-fr-20486

I also believe that the EPA testing is for 21 years old and younger.

Yes, 21 years and older are exempt from EPA standards.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly, but there is a loophole on the 1990-96 80 series? I want to import one from Japan, but all the 25 year old ones are gone. There are plenty of 1992+ to be had. What does it really take to bring them into DOT compliance? I also believe that the EPA testing is for 21 years old and younger. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

There is no loophole really, there is a list of parts that need to be swapped by a registered importer to make it compliant. Can't be from Japan though, because it needs to be left hand drive. Maybe look in Europe?
You are correct on the EPA exemption for 21 years and older, but individual states may have stricter requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom