Illinois Questions from a Texan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait till JB becomes governor - the dems are already working on ratcheting up the income tax on the “rich” and when they run out of the richman’s money they will be coming for the rest. By the way I think rich is supposed to mean 250k and up. All in the name of fair share-ness.

Like, fairness... like Venezuela and stuff...

Hey man a multi billionaire man of the people who inherited all his money from the generations before him will save us from the s*** show his party created

The advantage of living in the Chicago area is good water. No wild fires , earthquakes, water shortages. Some places have bad water problems. It might not be too long before some cities run out of water like Capetown. If you like to travel you can be pretty much anywhere in the world for a good price with a major airport flying directly to most world capitals. The advantage of owning a car in Illinois is that doesn't get an annual personal property tax like in some states like Missouri, just 101 bucks. They do have city taxes on some towns, an additional 137 bucks for large passenger vehicles of Chicago residents. Chicago and Illinois suck, but there are some advantages.

Midwestern Blizzards come once in a while like a hurricane, but hurricanes/ flooding can be an life changing event that can affect your recovery for a long time. The weather is not too bad if you are prepared. Unfortunately it doesn't really encourage you to work in the garage most of the year.

@archie Good information, thank you. I grew up in Central Texas which had great water. Houston area water is not bad, but CTX was way better. I'm used to working in the heat and don't mind the cold weather. I know I'm not used to seeing snow, etc. But I'm essentially a polar bear.

Fella's, I'm going to get my windows tinted soon. Need to comply with IL laws... Can you help me out?

From what I can find, front windows 50% VLT and rears as dark as I want. Is this correct?

Texas is 25% VLT front windows and dark as you want in the rear.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Fella's, I'm going to get my windows tinted soon. Need to comply with IL laws... Can you help me out?

From what I can find, front windows 50% VLT and rears as dark as I want. Is this correct?

Texas is 25% VLT front windows and dark as you want in the rear.

Thanks in advance

If you do ALL the windows of the truck the same (minus the windshield), you can have 35% VLT all-around. Otherwise 50% on the fronts is it.

As far as the northern suburbs... most of these guys live south or southwest of Chicago, in what I think of as God's country. I'm up north not too far from Streamwood. If you can move further west or northwest, it's not so bad. I live in the Arlington Heights / Buffalo Grove area and property taxes suck, but home prices are still on the cusp of reasonable. The schools and amenities up here are nice. City crime hasn't quite reached us out here yet.

I've had several 60's registered with normal plates up here. No smog, no b.s. from the government or the EPA. The cops up here have way too much other s*** to do than to bother with the antique plate laws. They'd have to pull out the old ILCS to find what section to even write you for. Most cops don't even know the antique plate laws.

@chitown40 Thanks for the feedback. I did a little more research and read that SUVs can have dark as they want in the rear as long as the fronts are 35%. Check this out <CLICK ME> Is this true? I don't mind 35% all the way around but really want dark tint for the rear. Anyone riding in the back (far from the vents) needs as much protection from the sun as possible lol.

I'm not worried about SMOG stuff really (although I guess I should be, desmogged, etc) I was just thinking that Antique plates would be cheaper. Especially considering I will only drive the 60 when it is not snowing. What's your take?

@chitown40 Thanks for the feedback. I did a little more research and read that SUVs can have dark as they want in the rear as long as the fronts are 35%. Check this out <CLICK ME> Is this true? I don't mind 35% all the way around but really want dark tint for the rear. Anyone riding in the back (far from the vents) needs as much protection from the sun as possible lol.

I'm not worried about SMOG stuff really (although I guess I should be, desmogged, etc) I was just thinking that Antique plates would be cheaper. Especially considering I will only drive the 60 when it is not snowing. What's your take?

Just to help you out here, I wouldn't believe anything that you read or hear from Arlington Toyota. They used to be a good dealership, but the management has turned it to s***.

I'd go by the actual ILCS. Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

The antique plates are not a bad idea. If you aren't going to drive it in the winter months (which I would recommend) then it sounds like a good plan. It's always good to give less money to the state of Illinois, although they will always find a way to get it from you later. lol

Just to help you out here, I wouldn't believe anything that you read or hear from Arlington Toyota. They used to be a good dealership, but the management has turned it to s***.

I'd go by the actual ILCS. Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

The antique plates are not a bad idea. If you aren't going to drive it in the winter months (which I would recommend) then it sounds like a good plan. It's always good to give less money to the state of Illinois, although they will always find a way to get it from you later. lol

Lol. I did find another site LINK that referenced that same information. 35% all the way around doesn't sound like a bad deal. Sucks to hear about that dealer. On a related note, My future father in law bought a car from Motor Werks. Used I4 Camry, pretty clean, good miles, had a broken visor which I replaced for him. That's about it. He said that dealer seemed okay. I work at a CJDR store as a Service Advisor. Jeeps are HEEPS

Antique plate is the way I'm going. I'll do the "extended use" version to be a law-abiding citizen of the great state of IL. :D

Thanks for the great advice. Hope to meet you someday. I'll post if I think of anything else.

I have two vehicles with the expanded antique plates. Just less reason to get pulled over using them instead of regular antique plates . Plus not many people are aware of expanded plates and still plenty of vanity/personalized options available!

As far as emissions go- nothing pre obd2 gets tested in Illinois anymore. There are no dynos at the emissions test facilities, no exhaust analyzer.

Well despite some of y'alls thoughts about moving to Chicago I am now here, well actually since December 20th. Got the 60 in the garage the second day I was here. Look forward to meeting some of you gents in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom