IH8DUST EXCESSIVE amount of Dust entering my 2003 Lexus GX 470 cabin when on dirt roads. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sup IH8er's, I've noticed an excessive amount of dust entering my cabin while traveling on dirt roads. I'm in Southern Nevada where we don't get much rain and have very fine dust all around.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue and/or if anyone else has had this problem with their GX and curious about your thoughts on where the leaks could be happening from and any remedy's.

Peace and Roads!

Check your cabin air filter. wondering if the previous owner removed it for whatever reason. Other than that, there really is no physical way for dust to enter the cabin unless your windows are rolled down or the weather strips are failing somewhere (but you would hear wind noise if that were the case)

Last edited:
I was thinking no cabin air filter as well. Maybe the wiring rubber grommet on the firewall is missing? I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Check your door sills. If your weather strips are too compressed/old, it can let fine dust pass dy, especially if it's very windy or you're moving fast.

If your weather strips are compressed you can move the strke plate in just a tab to latch the doors in tighter or replace your weather strips. I've seen guys in the jeep world run laundry line or similar sized cordage through the hole in the moldings.

I'd suspect the weather strips are even more likely culprits if your car has been in S. Nevada

Lots of dust enters and exits the vehicle when you open and close the doors. The barn door makes it even worse in this situation. This may may be what you are experiencing.

That isn't the case. I could be driving on a freeway and turn onto a dirt road and the dust will start to form in the cab with out opening the doors, rolling the windows down or opening the sun roof. Any recommendations based on that scenario?

Last edited:
Try putting the HVAC system on recirc for a while when you have this internal dust storm. That might eliminate this system as an entry point.

Try putting the HVAC system on recirc for a while when you have this internal dust storm. That might eliminate this system as an entry point.

I did put it on recycle on other trips after I noticed this and was still getting some dust. I think I'm going to empty out the vehicle completely clean it and then take it on a dirt drive and see if I can spot where the dust is coming in through as of right now still not sure what to do.

I did put it on recycle on other trips after I noticed this and was still getting some dust. I think I'm going to empty out the vehicle completely clean it and then take it on a dirt drive and see if I can spot where the dust is coming in through as of right now still not sure what to do.

Good idea. Place some small pieces of double stick tape in places and see which one(s) are the dustiest. Just an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom