If I was to start all over again, I would... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would of bought a nicer 100, which also means I won't run into NLXTACY......both of which would of saved me a lot of money!
you also would not have met me either!! Still pondering on the wheel

As a few others have said, I would have gone straight to quality shocks. I have fox 2.0 w/ reservoirs after trying procomps based a shock thread on mud designed for a lifted ford. They were like not having the shocks installed.
I would have bought a 95 -97 so I could install a super charger and sliders would be easier to build. Instead I'm about to order a front cat / y pipe assembly for a 95-97 and make a custom exhaust so I can builds sliders without having to build under the double side by side cats.
I would have installed cater correction with the lift instead of waiting over a year thinking it's lifted and acceptable. Same lift and 315s drives much better than 285s without caster correction. Installing the 315s made it worse and I finally spent the couple hours doing the "washer mod. "
Replaced the old, hard power steering hoses instead of having to ride in a jeep to an auto parts store from the trail to get parts.
Started with a tire carrier instead of building my 4x4 labs without and keeping the spare inside. I'm tired of loading and unloading the spare to sleep in it.

It's nothing against YOU Joey. I just don't want my rig to overheat and blow a head gasket. Oh wait, I have a 3FE, never mind. California here I come!!

Wow, I glad I started this thread. I didn’t think it would go this far...

After reading this thread several times I'm very tempted to put my stock springs back in with 1" spacers & drive it. Just to see what the difference is. It would be a 2" lift including my 1" body lift. I have learned that the stock springs have approximately the same free height as my OME mediums so my longer shocks will still be OK. Lowering it back down would solve all my caster & panhard problems. I might just do it..

Wow, I glad I started this thread. I didn’t think it would go this far...

After reading this thread several times I'm very tempted to put my stock springs back in with 1" spacers & drive it. Just to see what the difference is. It would be a 2" lift including my 1" body lift. I have learned that the stock springs have approximately the same free height as my OME mediums so my longer shocks will still be OK. Lowering it back down would solve all my caster & panhard problems. I might just do it..

on the stock springs the limiting factor are the shocks! you could even go 1.75" longer droop than the L's and then the stock springs will start to rattle on their perch!

I would have confirmed that I had the Front control arm drop brackets, before purchasing my sliders, that way I would not have needed to sell them and buy the white knuckle ones.

Funny, I just made this list for myself before I saw this thread,,,

1. It would have been nice to start with a 95 + model year. Not only for the airbags but mostly for the OBD2 ability. Having a scan gage would have come in handy many times.

2. I should have taken Will's advice from Siera off-road and only done a 2 inch heavy OME lift, and not the 3 inch J springs. A bit too tall for my application. I'm not a rock crawler, I'm a explorer.

3. I should have taken Mario's advice from AT trailers in Prescott and gotten the fridge sooner. As in first.

4. In retrospect, and y'all might hate for this, I'd consider saving a little more money before I bought and just got a 100 series. I'd of put a 2 inch lift on it with 285's, a bumper with winch, diff lock and a fridge. Done. Better fuel mileage, longer range, more power, just as reliable, more comfortable on the highway, able to tow, doesn't need to slow down to 45 mph on the high altitude passes, and is plenty capable for what my needs are.

There is no beating the 80 series on sheer durability and abuse tolerance. It's more of a tractor you can register as a passenger vehicle. But used parts are starting to dry up, some accessories company's aren't making stuff for them anymore.

I did over twenty thousand miles of exploring all over the southwest last year with the family. Zion, Moab, Ouray, monument valley, grand staircase, escalante, valley of the gods, tombstone, Mt. lemon, the North rim of the Grand Canyon and everything in between. Time of our lives. Did some pretty hairy trails. Water crossings. Deep snow. Mud. Slick rock. And more. But if I'm honest with myself, a 100 series with 2" and a locking rear diff would have done all that too.

So, I'm done with modding my 80 series out. Going to keep it as is, save my money, drive it a couple more years, sell it to some mudder who wants the ultimate (way) off-road family rig, and retire in a cushy 100.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444771539.157429.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444771586.906513.jpg

Funny, I just made this list for myself before I saw this thread,,,

1. It would have been nice to start with a 95 + model year. Not only for the airbags but mostly for the OBD2 ability. Having a scan gage would have come in handy many times.

2. I should have taken Will's advice from Siera off-road and only done a 2 inch heavy OME lift, and not the 3 inch J springs. A bit too tall for my application. I'm not a rock crawler, I'm a explorer.

3. I should have taken Mario's advice from AT trailers in Prescott and gotten the fridge sooner. As in first.

4. In retrospect, and y'all might hate for this, I'd consider saving a little more money before I bought and just got a 100 series. I'd of put a 2 inch lift on it with 285's, a bumper with winch, diff lock and a fridge. Done. Better fuel mileage, longer range, more power, just as reliable, more comfortable on the highway, able to tow, doesn't need to slow down to 45 mph on the high altitude passes, and is plenty capable for what my needs are.

There is no beating the 80 series on sheer durability and abuse tolerance. It's more of a tractor you can register as a passenger vehicle. But used parts are starting to dry up, some accessories company's aren't making stuff for them anymore.

I did over twenty thousand miles of exploring all over the southwest last year with the family. Zion, Moab, Ouray, monument valley, grand staircase, escalante, valley of the gods, tombstone, Mt. lemon, the North rim of the Grand Canyon and everything in between. Time of our lives. Did some pretty hairy trails. Water crossings. Deep snow. Mud. Slick rock. And more. But if I'm honest with myself, a 100 series with 2" and a locking rear diff would have done all that too.

So, I'm done with modding my 80 series out. Going to keep it as is, save my money, drive it a couple more years, sell it to some mudder who wants the ultimate (way) off-road family rig, and retire in a cushy 100.

View attachment 1146632View attachment 1146633

Put down the pipe.

:smokin:

Convince the wife to get a 200 instead of the minivan.....although the the 27mpg on the highway is hard to over look.

I'm guessing you can buy a fair amount of gas with the $50k difference. Unfortunately no amount of money could get rid of the shame of owning a minivan.

I'm guessing you can buy a fair amount of gas with the $50k difference. Unfortunately no amount of money could get rid of the shame of owning a minivan.

Believe it or not I am the one first suggested the minivan and she hated the idea. But once she tried one there is no going back. Good part of the reason is its lower/easier to get into for the grandma and great grandma. Don't want to break any bones with the SUV.

Those of you hate minivan should really try it, cruising comfortably at 80mph(even up hill) while still getting 27-30mpg is hard to beat. Then there are those fully electric giant sliding doors, then it drives and parks just like a car, then there is that HUGE cargo space to put my ARB fridge, stroller, diapers, clothe, beach umbrella, toys, blankets, beach chair, tissue boxes shoes and God know what else my wife left back there. For the hardtop there is nothing out there that can beat a minivan, not even a 200.

But there are mental block for some but it's ok, I'm man enough to bear the shame for my family. :)

That being said I just need a way to justify a 200 without selling the 80.........damn it, this is too hard. I have too many cars!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom