Idle issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So after work I went and played on the truck... Tested the fusible link 12 up to it, 6 out the back of it on wire w. Others were good. No voltage at any spot past the link in the wire diagram. Straight wired w to 12v and it went to all components at 12v including the ones I had tested before. Started her up with link running 2/3 and wire w straight wired and she ran without an issue (needs tune up badly but otherwise she ran) also alternator was pushing 14 volts so the fuse was the issue for that too. Now the issue is I need a fusible link. Looked around online and found places that sold them but haven't found one that has them in stock.

Note: the fusible link 'w' has different specs than the other two...I'm not sure which fusible link Spike Strip was replacing, but those parts numbers might be slightly different from what you need to replace 'w' if he was replacing one of the other two:

Fusible Link Circuits FJ60 from chassis-body-1980 repair manual.png

I redid mine using Napa bought fusible link wiring sized based on the square mills area of the wire and a weatherpack multi pin plug. told ya it was fuses...

So after work I went and played on the truck... Tested the fusible link 12 up to it, 6 out the back of it on wire w. Others were good. No voltage at any spot past the link in the wire diagram. Straight wired w to 12v and it went to all components at 12v including the ones I had tested before. Started her up with link running 2/3 and wire w straight wired and she ran without an issue (needs tune up badly but otherwise she ran) also alternator was pushing 14 volts so the fuse was the issue for that too. Now the issue is I need a fusible link. Looked around online and found places that sold them but haven't found one that has them in stock.

Did you find the correct parts you needed? Which option did you go with...fusible links or circuit breaker?

we are gonna do circuit breaker I believe seems to be most expensive up front, but cheapest long term as its just hitting reset when it trips.

we are gonna do circuit breaker I believe seems to be most expensive up front, but cheapest long term as its just hitting reset when it trips.

Cool. Sounds like a good plan. @Mace is a moderator here on MUD, so if you get stuck, he should be easy enough to get some pointers from. You might also want to do a search here in the 60 section under his MUD name to see if he already posted a thread on how he did it (in addition to the one I posted above)...

...either way, post pictures/progress along the way so the rest of us can learn too...or ask questions...

Not sure I ever posted it, but I can take some pics easily.

I actually bypassed all three fusible links because two were bad and the plug looked like it had been rolling on a smoker for hours.. IT's probably not ideal, but it's been functional for the last 6 years. Haven't let any smoke out and the breaker has not tripped either. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom