Idiot Youtuber takes a stock GX down Broken Arrow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I call the crawl noises small automatic noise fire :)

DAC is fairly fast though compared to crawl
4.png

RUMOR: MTS .. you will still need to buy the ECU but I hear there be a cheaper aftermarket plug and play option being worked on for CRAWL.... just drill for some buttons

One can always do budget crawl but not as plug and play on the wiring front.

(2010-2019 models)

IMO: There is logic behind the braking that can't really be reproduced by a human. It really isn't a slam on the brakes and ABS figures out what caliper's to apply. It is being actively performed with throttle also in the works. It works uphill... how exactly precise can one be in that scenario with braking and throttle with an open diff vehicle on both ends?

Last edited:
Yep, the drone lives and I' got a bit better this time.

The entire trail was 4 miles. I cut some VO with additional trail description because this is twice as long as my previous videos and I want to strike a balance for people who will never really go there, just want to be entertained. If you pause it on the screen where I was talking about it not being for stock vehicles you can see the trail description from the national forrest service that I was reading from. You could do the whole thing in an hour or so if it was not busy and you never stopped. 3ish hours to have a good time and a picnic.

DAC? No, I used that once before on as slippery slope and it's not the most elegant solution with the brakes clattering away distracting your wheel placement. I just close my eyes and go ; )

Not sure anything's broke under there. If it's not dripping, I'm not too worried. Most of the noise was from skid.

Would love to meet up for a run! Might feel better for me once a few more people are vaccinated though, since I'd be helping encourage you to travel out of state. Armed in UT keeps inviting me up to the Swell in UT and I really want to go there as well. My wife is double vaxed (teacher), might be a while for me though.
Sometime in the future (way future) I'll PM you about a weekend up there and see if we can hook up. Probably much later this year depending upon how this pandemic pans out.
What's summer time weather like up there for trial runs considering you're a wee bit at altitude?
We may start looking at campsites and reservations for my wife and I since it seems everyone has "discovered" camping these days and almost anywhere one goes, a reservation is needed, except for dispersed camping.

Don't go to Sedona unless you like being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. When the weather is nice you can count on a 5 minute drive taking 30 minutes. If you are a fan of bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway, come to Sedona in nice weather on a weekend. I lived in Sedona for 30 years, the gridlocked traffic forced me to move.

You can do Broken Arrow in an hour to an hour and a half. The jeep tours do it in that. I used to live a mile from the trail. The trail is only less than two miles on paved roads from the packed tourist areas.

I call the crawl noises small automatic noise fire :)

DAC is fairly fast though compared to crawl
4.png

RUMOR: MTS .. you will still need to buy the ECU but I hear there be a cheaper aftermarket plug and play option being worked on for CRAWL.... just drill for some buttons

One can always do budget crawl but not as plug and play on the wiring front.

(2010-2019 models)

IMO: There is logic behind the braking that can't really be reproduced by a human. It really isn't a slam on the brakes and ABS figures out what caliper's to apply. It is being actively performed with throttle also in the works. It works uphill... how exactly precise can one be in that scenario with braking and throttle with an open diff vehicle on both ends?
Just noticed this after a new post brought me back. This is great info. Broken arrow isn't really that tough though and the devils staircase is only like 50yds-ish? It guess I just don't think the downhill part of off roading is that hard since you rarely have to work both pedals. Now uphill on the other hand, I can totally see crawl being a huge asset. I'm also not exactly a hardcore wheeler : )

If you have any info on that crawl enable project can you PM the info or pass along my info to whomever is doing it? I might be interested in featuring it in a video. I wasn't going to do the ECU route anytime soon but if whomever is working this project wanted some exposure to the community it might be worth a convo/intro at least.

Don't go to Sedona unless you like being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. When the weather is nice you can count on a 5 minute drive taking 30 minutes. If you are a fan of bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway, come to Sedona in nice weather on a weekend. I lived in Sedona for 30 years, the gridlocked traffic forced me to move.

You can do Broken Arrow in an hour to an hour and a half. The jeep tours do it in that. I used to live a mile from the trail. The trail is only less than two miles on paved roads from the packed tourist areas.
Yup. Sedona traffic sucks on the weekends especially. Weekdays ares still tolerable but I can't imagine living there in the summer and having to use 179 every-time I left the house. It's essentially our beach town : )

@jakemccurdy The wife and I started watching your videos last night. The latest ghost town video was great. We really enjoy your sense of humor in all of this. Keep it up!
Yeah really enjoyed the ghost town video. Looks like at then end you had secondary air intake issue or are they still figuring that out? Makes me worried for my 17 (even though Lexus claims to have fixed it with partial hardware and software update)

@jakemccurdy The wife and I started watching your videos last night. The latest ghost town video was great. We really enjoy your sense of humor in all of this. Keep it up!
Thanks man! That means a lot. We’re trying to get Jill more comfortable driving and on camera so she can feature more. If you like the humor you might enjoy the survival myths show I have coming up. I got Cody Lundin from dual survival to let me ask him stupid questions like “when is it time to start thinking about drinking your pee?” And “whats the best way to fight a bear?”.

Yeah really enjoyed the ghost town video. Looks like at then end you had secondary air intake issue or are they still figuring that out? Makes me worried for my 17 (even though Lexus claims to have fixed it with partial hardware and software update)
Close. The throttle body got screwed up during a 3p fuel service and I had to replace it. Toyota said it was because it was so dirty but since it was lex serviced bu the 1st owner, Im not totally convinced. They gave me the new throttle body at cost though so they took care of me. I’ll cover that and everything else Ive spent on the GX in a 1 year ownership review Ive got coming up.

Is this the airbag trick you plan to use? This is my plan on 2018 GX 460.

Is this the airbag trick you plan to use? This is my plan on 2018 GX 460.

Yeah, I saw that video. That works but I might build a spacer. Not sure yet. I'm getting a new rack today or tomorrow and whatever I do on the lift will depend on getting that into my garage without removal. I really just want to lift the front and if whatever I do there moves it a bit higher than the "normal" setting at the back I'll figure out if a spacer, sensor trick or both will work best.

Yeah, I saw that video. That works but I might build a spacer. Not sure yet. I'm getting a new rack today or tomorrow and whatever I do on the lift will depend on getting that into my garage without removal. I really just want to lift the front and if whatever I do there moves it a bit higher than the "normal" setting at the back I'll figure out if a spacer, sensor trick or both will work best.
Jake, I recently lifted my ‘17 and did the airbag washer trick in the back. I did a writeup here that gives you measurements and such.

It is as per the video above on the ‘17 with air suspension. It only takes 5 minutes to add more washers or take them away to dial it in.

Be careful how much you lift the front. When I lifted the front of my 100 series to try and get a level stance, I had crazy torque steer (step on the gas and it jerks the steering wheel).
I can even feel just a wee bit of pull when I throttle on with my GX, but not enough to be a bother.

Just watched your video - great stuff! I took my lifted GX 470 down Broken Arrow last month and it was a ton of fun. I had my wife drive it down the Devil's Staircase without warning her about it so she was absolutely terrified but loved it. Probably my favorite offroad trail in AZ, along with the back way to Crown King. I just picked up a 2015 GX 460 and I'm way too scared to take it out until the lift kit arrives, but once it's lifted I'll be out there again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom