Idiot YouTuber Compares GX 460 to Land Cruiser Prado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jake - fun video.

I've been running the Yakima LocknLoad for six months and starting to accessorize with Yakima accessories and their RTT. If you need some pictures or ideas to help your future video let me know.

1593298668772.png

I'd encourage you to take on a all-terrain tire video... one of the most common areas of interest (and a first upgrade for many). Your self-deprecation and low key humor would suit this topic well. If you haven't found him already on youtube, check out Ronny Dahl (australia).

Jake - fun video.

I've been running the Yakima LocknLoad for six months and starting to accessorize with Yakima accessories and their RTT. If you need some pictures or ideas to help your future video let me know.

View attachment 2353897

I'd encourage you to take on a all-terrain tire video... one of the most common areas of interest (and a first upgrade for many). Your self-deprecation and low key humor would suit this topic well. If you haven't found him already on youtube, check out Ronny Dahl (australia).
Thanks man, much appreciated and great looking set-up. The tire idea is great as I'm still on street tires. Might be a while since my work has tanked with Covid though.

How did you mount your locknload? I wanted to use my factory mounting points but Yakima told me I had to put a new set of their rails and towers on which I thought was too much work and not as strong as a fixed point mount. They were zero help actually so I took a couple shots at them in the video. I ended up mounting mine to the factory rails so there's not much load support for now. I got the K size to keep it clear of the sun roof so I might be screwed since it might not reach the front fixed points.

KO2's were my 2nd choice......on my wife's '11 GX.........o_O

I like these GY Ultra Terrains........even have 'em on my '14 Taco

U being in AZ.....may not need all the meat......KO2's will be fine......;)

z3zp58j.jpg

Well done, yo! 😆🤘
Welcome...
ALL nicely summarized (down to formerly active, now car camping with kids)
I FULLY empathize with the excessive roof rack agonizing (analysis paralysis)...
Subscribed on the tube and loom6ing forward to other vidz. 👍

Jake.....too funny......watched it & laughed a lot !

Very entertaining !

Bring it to Utah......I'm next door to the Swell....show ya where to get it dusty !

PS........I still wanna a LC......my wife says I'm crazy
Then come to Moab, @jakemccurdy and I'll help you give the GX a shake-down too. 👍

Thanks man, much appreciated and great looking set-up. The tire idea is great as I'm still on street tires. Might be a while since my work has tanked with Covid though.

How did you mount your locknload? I wanted to use my factory mounting points but Yakima told me I had to put a new set of their rails and towers on which I thought was too much work and not as strong as a fixed point mount. They were zero help actually so I took a couple shots at them in the video. I ended up mounting mine to the factory rails so there's not much load support for now. I got the K size to keep it clear of the sun roof so I might be screwed since it might not reach the front fixed points.
RE: rack mounting
I'd suggest you look at Gamiviti towers or the Rhino-Rack backbone (any RR distributor can get this... They call US warehouse in Aurora, CO and ask for RTPB1)...
Since they're all (yak, frontrunner, rhino, etc) similar extruded aluminum with standardized channels you may be able to marry different systems together. Eff Yak and they're "I'll-sell-you-more-but-not-really-listen-to-your-situation" customer service model.
Mud is here for you!

The sunglasses and shirt color !

RE: rack mounting
I'd suggest you look at Gamiviti towers or the Rhino-Rack backbone (any RR distributor can get this... They call US warehouse in Aurora, CO and ask for RTPB1)...
Since they're all (yak, frontrunner, rhino, etc) similar extruded aluminum with standardized channels you may be able to marry different systems together. Eff Yak and they're "I'll-sell-you-more-but-not-really-listen-to-your-situation" customer service model.
Mud is here for you!
I think I might have screwed myself by getting the K platform. Its a bit to short to span all three pairs of fixed points. I saw the Gamviti feet and they look great, just not sure where my platform will sit considering its only 55” long. I could span the middle and front fixed points I suppose but then it would be in a sort of goofy spot with 12” or so of bare roof behind it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I wish yakima had towers that would grab my factory rails. That would be a nice middle ground for me.

I just want to say that you guys have all been awesome. I got a handful of PM’s with some great advice. If I haven’t responded yet, its just because Im working this weekend and will circle back.

I actually already shot the yakima video, just need to edit it. I appreciate all the advice there and you should be able to see the slightly hilarious journey I went on by next weekend.

I appreciate the advice and feedback. Keep it coming!

5th grn 4r only have two points per side rail, you could mount rear, or sell and go for a 70-something..
I went 84" and others have 79 in RR (then there's 49 wide vs 54 wide), for visual perspective of coverage.

I thought Yak did have a crossbar that grabs factory side rail. 🤔

Last edited:
5th grn 4r only have two points per side rail, you could mount rear, or sell and go for a 70-something..
I went 84" and others have 79 in RR (then there's 49 wide vs 54 wide), for visual perspective of coverage.

I thought Yak did have a crossbar that grabs factory side rail. 🤔
No, they actually have a picture of a GX on their homepage with a set of timberline rail grabs on it and a Yak box. When I contacted them they said the photographer faked it and they have no solutions for the GX other than removing my factory rails and putting their rails on which is a non starter for me.

Some people have said they are working on something GX specific. nw_fj62 mentioned that and a guy in AUS has a GX using Yak fixed point mounts for the prado somewhere on another thread. He mentioned Yak working on something for the GX in the states but I havn't asked Yak since hearing these anicdotes.

If I went fixed points with something like the Gamviti mounts I guess I could make a an unsecured foot for the front and use the back two pairs of fixed points but that won't be as strong. I didn't go with the B-size because I thought 55 was too wide and it would hang out too much. I could sell it when I outgrow just using my factory rails but I was hoping to maybe find a Thule or other brand rail grab system I could modify to use factory rails with the K size I have.

I'm thinking using the factory rails would allow me to get around the too short for all three fixed points problem and still give me more strength than the 175Lbs I get from the factory bars. Maybe not.

I really just use it for gear. I don't ever see going to a roof top tent because I'll never park it outside the garage in the summer (Black truck in phoenix). I realized right away that I was going to use every inch of that K size as soon as I practice packed it though so I'm sure I'll have plenty of regrets beyond just the initial ones you'll hear about in my next video : )

There's always trade offs, especially for cheap bastard like me.

LFD Offroad recently showed their prototype roof crossbars made specifically for the gx460. View on their F.B. page.

👍
Ive seen 4r with three feet, but front is just a tension foot, NOT fixed.
Really, check out the RR backbone! Its BA too... But not low co$t (i recognize that.... 😭)
Agreed, 55" wide is too much, 49 is perfect 🤘

Keep on keepin' on!
Looking forward to vidz. 👍

Last edited:
👍
Ive seen 4r with three feet, but front is just a tension foot, NOT fixed.
Really, check out the RR backbone! Its BA too... But not low co$t (i recognize that.... 😭)
Agreed, 55" wide is too much, 49 is perfect 🤘

Keep on keepin' on!
Looking forward to vidz. 👍
X2 on this. Have had mine a few weeks - fits the truck just right. The backbone makes for a very solid base, as well, given the rack mounts to the backbone up front forward from where a foot would support it.

F5FE4128-AB40-4435-833F-3094C5322A74.jpeg

83BB5185-AA1F-40E5-9C9F-04D61E750D38.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom