Identifying if a 2LTE has had the 3L head swapped or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just as the title says, does anyone know of a way to identify whether a 3L head has been swapped into a 2LTE motor or not? I'm looking at an LJ78 to buy and the seller says its done but has no papers (previous owner had it done). hopefully someone can help. I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before!!

Reposting this thread from the 70-series tech forum

Just as the title says, does anyone know of a way to identify whether a 3L head has been swapped into a 2LTE motor or not? I'm looking at an LJ78 to buy and the seller says its done but has no papers (previous owner had it done). hopefully someone can help. I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before!!

Reposting this thread from the 70-series tech forum

I asked it a long time ago and there is no certain way to tell as far as I could find. Chances are it's been done. I don't think there is a single LJ78 running around with the original head unless it's just been imported recently. Pretty much all the first revision 2LTE heads failed. The later 2LTE and 3L part numbers are different and have an improved casting it seems as they are lasting much longer.

That said, there do seem to be white markings (from some sort of marker) on the top of the head under the valve cover on the new heads. You'd have to take the valve cover off to see it, and it is still no guarantee.

Best thing to do is have it checked over by a mechanic who is familiar with small JDM diesel engines. Look for coolant pressurization, compression issues, blow-by, smoke etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom