Icon Stage 1, 3” six month review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pierce

SILVER Star
Threads
I haven’t seen much written about the Icon Stage 1, 3” lift so I’ll go ahead and contribute.

Installed on a 1997 Collectors Edition, ARB with 12k warn up front, Slee sliders, IPOR rear, 315/75r16 BFG KM2.

Installed the lift approximately 6 months ago. Very standard install, same as any other 2.5” lift. Orded the kit from Bilstienlifts.com to avoid paying for shipping. Seemed to be the best price. Only problem I had was I was 2 extended bolts short on the front swaybar drop brackets. I called Icon, told the nice lady what was wrong and she sent the bolts out to me at no charge. Good customer service and I received them 3 days later.

I love the ride. The suspension soaks up the bumps very, very well. Very comfortable at any speed. I have no solid info to back this up but i think this lift might be over 3” just judging by how it dwarfs 285’s

The only advice I can give is DO install the front and rear spring spacers they provide for the driver’s side springs. They are about 1/2 thick. You should probably just go ahead and order 30mm spring spacers for the driver’s side front and rear. Initially I didn’t install any spacers and my cruiser developed a 1” lean on the driver’s side. Luckily i had some 30mm ftont spacers from Slee on hand. I modified one of them to fit on the rear. We’ll see how it holds up.

This lift might be a little weight sensitive. The sliders alone brought the cruiser down about 1/4 inch

My last bit of advice is don’t mess with 285’s on this lift, they’ll look tiny. Moved up to 315’s this week.

With the 285’s there appeared to be about an inch of stinkbug, with the 315’s it’s gone now (heavier spare??).

Overall i love the ride and the ride height (now that i have 315’s). I would definitely buy it again... now for the good stuff...

With 285’s (no sliders at this point)
60387B8E-C366-44DF-971E-F50068204992.jpeg

A6DE9A7D-94E6-478F-917A-2CA7B555BFA1.jpeg

With 315’s sliders and 30mm spacers

2FF614E2-7C53-4E33-95BF-22D3E2C1DFCA.jpeg

E4735E52-0BCB-4C6A-B7D6-9528B84AECDE.jpeg

Thanks for posting this. I’m considering this lift for my 93. I got the 2” coil spacers from metaltech to use to level out my stock springs but I’m leaning toward replacing everything with the icon kit. I checked with metaltech and they said the spacers would work to level the 3” kit.

Yessir, spare is on the driver’s side. I forgot to add I’m not loaded down much either. Maybe 50-70lbs of gear in the back.

Still loving the Icon lift. No issues. I’m not one to abuse my rig but it’s holding up just fine with 3 or so years and 20kish miles of average use. I added a 24 gallon aux tank and get about 1/2” inch of squat below level with a full load of 48 gallons of fuel. Even when loaded with another 100-200 lbs of extra camping gear it didn’t squat any further. It’s mostly unnoticeable if your not paying attention. That’ll give you an idea of rear load handling if your one of those guys who loads up a few hundred pounds of gear. I’d buy the kit again no questions. When it comes time for new shocks I’ll probably upgrade to the adjustable Icons because I’m a princess and don’t want to feel any bumps. The ride is already very good with no loss in performance. Great on washboard and rough roads with a little less air pressure in the tires.

Great, thank you! I've read the spring rate is less than ideal for fully loaded vehicles (which is why Slinky springs are superior), but it sounds like you have no issue with that. Right now it's looking like the best upgrade from OME when it comes to price/performance.

Wondering if it's possible to get an update for 2021? I like how your LC looks with the 285 and the 315 tires, I think both options do a good job filling out the fenders. Thanks!

Everything is still fine. Mostly street and dirt road miles. I occasionally get this crazy... poser shot... tank dams are as large an Offroad feature as we get in S Texas. Removed the spare tire swing out and switched to Slee step sliders for the Slee cool guy sliders.
F0E07F01-74CD-48E9-89BE-29FE982D8AAE.jpeg

6B10A7AE-422E-4EB5-B5B4-A26D95CB3C46.jpeg

I’ll add to the feedback. Just got the lift installed. I also installed the delta panhard lift bracket. Ordered some delta radius arms as well be don’t have at this point so installed the icon bushings. Will be interesting to see the difference there. Ride is night and day vs the stock lift and bilstien shocks I had before. Also installed delta bump stop drops. Just picked up tonight so no trail experience yet. I am running 33’s and they do look a little small but not as bad as I was afraid. Will look forward to going to 35’s down the road. 100% correct on the 1” lean to drivers side. Will be ordering some spacers like @Pierce said.

0FBAE988-15E2-4DCD-BC8D-75D546177236.jpeg

6E1C8E57-E83B-4FE0-8EB6-DF6B7422F81C.jpeg

I will add I have white knuckle sliders, working on custom front bumper and will have a 12k winch installed there. Also ordered a 4X4Labs rear bumper so will update when I start to add that weight.

maybe swap the L/R springs? I know my dobinsons had R and L specific springs.

Icon supplies a 10mm spacer to use just on the front left spring. This is installed and the lean isn't as noticeable in the front. Springs are the same part#, left and right.

Reactions: b16
I will also add that the pic I posted above really makes it look bad. Use the reference of my vehicle lift above and see the vertical lines on my walls. Doesn't look near as bad in person as it does in this picture.

I will also add that the pic I posted above really makes it look bad. Use the reference of my vehicle lift above and see the vertical lines on my walls. Doesn't look near as bad in person as it does in this picture.

That second pic is telling! Curious, what is causing the lean? Did Icon not account for the driver+fuel tank adequately?

That second pic is telling! Curious, what is causing the lean? Did Icon not account for the driver+fuel tank adequately?
They added just one 30mm spacer and clearly state to use in the front left, driver location. I will likely keep as is until I get my delta radius arms and bumpers, winch, etc to determine how much I need to raise up the left... or just cruiser around on Empty.... doesn’t take too long from fill to get there🤣

I have a similar armor load with addition of an aux tank. With a 30 mm spacer in the rear it’s fairly level all the way around. It’s about 1/2” low with 48 gallons of fuel and about 1/2” stink bug with empty tanks. Conveniently with the rear full of wood or camping gear and full fuel load it doesn’t get much lower than 1/2” below level. Progressive rate springs at play I guess.

Last edited:
Hello guys. I have a GX470 myself. I’m not too familiar with this model. But I am doing this sams 3” Icon lift for my cousins 92 fj and I just have a few questions. He already has shocks that will work with these. So I ordered:
3” front springs
3” rear springs
Caster correction bushings

will I need longer brake lines?
Trac bars?
Or track bar relocation beackets?
Is there any else I’m missing?

thank you in advance.

-You’ll need front sway bar drop brackets.
-Instead of the caster correction bushings you’ll probably want front caster correction plates or one of the Delta caster correction brackets. Probably not enough caster correction with the bushings. It’ll be a white knuckle driving experience without enough caster.
-Don’t need longer brake lines but also not a bad idea.
-Folks are liking the rear caster correction mounts by Delta but not required.
-Rear track bar relocation... no idea, didn’t do it, not required.
-possibly a 30mm spacer for the front and rear drivers side. Not required but my drivers side lean was pretty significant.

I have the Icon Stage 1 with all 30mm spacers on all corner plus Slinky HD springs, 4" caster plate, f/r adjustable track bar, extended HD rear control arms and custom bump stops etc. Its been flawless for the last 4 yrs.
20200523_145249.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom