ICBC Insurance Costs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep in mind that if you file a claim under collision, your discount will be reduced depending on the cost.

So if you go careening of a road, claim it, and go from 43% to 10%, a bit of quick math will show you that you're taking a big loss over fixing it yourself.

Collision is for expensive vehicles that are fragile and costly to fix, IMO.

Hey Kim...Thanks. That is certainly something to consider although I have used several companies over the years. I'm coming back to Victoria for the holidays and I think I'll stop in to ICBC for a "chat" about my options if any.

I'd never had an at-fault accident all my life. No tickets, not even a parking ticket (which, if you ever lived in Singapore, is a miracle in and of itself), ICBC would have none of it. I arranged for insurance letters from the 20 or so insurers that I used over my life of driving in both Malaysia and Singapore. Because there were gaps (some of the insurance companies had closed down etc) they would not recognize them.

They asked for police records to show clean driving record, I did that too. But in the end, sorry sir, you'll have to start from scratch.

Frankly I hate icky-bicky. Communism at its best.:mad: ... er worst.

I lived through the old private regime, never again. I have never had a problem with ICBC, I have relatives in Ontario they pay through the nose for the same coverage as mine. They pray every day that they don't get in an accident,me I could care less if someone rear ends me.

I'd never had an at-fault accident all my life. No tickets, not even a parking ticket (which, if you ever lived in Singapore, is a miracle in and of itself), ICBC would have none of it. I arranged for insurance letters from the 20 or so insurers that I used over my life of driving in both Malaysia and Singapore. Because there were gaps (some of the insurance companies had closed down etc) they would not recognize them.

They asked for police records to show clean driving record, I did that too. But in the end, sorry sir, you'll have to start from scratch.

Frankly I hate icky-bicky. Communism at its best.:mad: ... er worst.

Well, that indeed sounds more like the ICBC I fondly remember.. I'd better not get my hopes up.

Hi guys - I have a question regarding ICBC and Collector plates so I thought I would post here.

I have a 1995 FZJ-80 that "looks" pretty stock. The mods are:
- skid plate under tranny (hard to see without crawling under).
- 2.5" OME lift (I know that's more than the 1" max)
- Sliders (need to come off anyway for new powered coat)
- 2 sets of tires (OEM wheels with stock LTX tires and OEM steels with 33" MTRs)
- Outback roof rack

So how picky is ICBC?
The truck is in very good shape, inside and out...

If put on my stock OEM alloys and dropped the sliders, can I get Collector plates and save a lot of insurance?
After reading the ICBC documentation, I think my small lift is "offside" as well as the roof rack (that could come off for a bit).
I would only insure for 3 or 4 months of good weather max (don't drive it in the winter anyway) then cancel.

Does this make sense to try to get Collector plates and the lower cost insurance ? OR should I just not worry about it and do the low annual mileage / personal use live with the higher cost..

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Remove all the extras It has to be stock. Factory wheels, tire size. They have a very comprehensive list.
For 3-4 months,
just take out the monthly payment plan put plates on it and drive it as normal. Then return the plates and put really decent
storage/fire/theft/vandalism coverage on it for the rest of the year. Which is really cheap.
You only pay higher rate on those couple of months you use it..
Then if it burns down with your house you are covered.
Find a private vehicle appraisor and have a market value appraisal done. Private insurance might be the way to go, as they
cover 'complete value' better from what I understand but I don't do that myself.

Ok, I will just driver it as normal and then cancel and put on storage/theft (I heard it was cheap).

Thanks much for the advice.

Here is my 1981 '42 with Collector Plates; I disclosed all of the following 'replacement parts' on my application

OME lift (replacement springs)
Older style bib and doors; still factory but not 1981
Turbo on diesel was factory in 1985
Winch was 'dealer option' in 1981, which it was
Rear Rack is permmissable
Front seat replacements (they had no seat covers on them and looked new because they are new BestTop seats). But everything ties together with the colours so it looks factory.
Aluminum replacement tub
Oversize tires on factory wheels (mine are 33's, factory is 29" so technically two sizes over)
Aftermarket gauges (permitted)
Colour change to 1970 Toyota Hilux Lt. Green
PIAA lights (safety issue, is permitted)

Key things ICBC is looking for: No rust, no rips in seats, factory radio or delete plate, factory steering wheel. Disclose everything on your application; the key is to not make them have to think and wonder about it.

I'm not an ICBC employee but I wouldn't be surprised if ICBC has an 'unofficial' mandate to promote the collector vehicle hobby and overlooks a lot if the vehicle does appear to look factory, is clean, and looks like it is being maintained as a collector.

My insurance is $400 per year.

Huge shout-out to my good friend Rob #redreefer who made my truck this beautiful!

20190317_174606.jpg

20190317_175123.jpg

20190317_175301.jpg

BJ42 on Vedder Oct 24 2020.jpg

20200815_192511.jpg

BJ42 Mar 13 2021.jpg

TBH, I'm stunned that the aluminum body passed. Wow. But that's a very cool realization. Looks like they let a whole
lot more go by than I was led to understand.

Here is my 1981 '42 with Collector Plates; I disclosed all of the following 'replacement parts' on my application

OME lift (replacement springs)
Older style bib and doors; still factory but not 1981
Turbo on diesel was factory in 1985
Winch was 'dealer option' in 1981, which it was
Rear Rack is permmissable
Front seat replacements (they had no seat covers on them and looked new because they are new BestTop seats). But everything ties together with the colours so it looks factory.
Aluminum replacement tub
Oversize tires on factory wheels (mine are 33's, factory is 29" so technically two sizes over)
Aftermarket gauges (permitted)
Colour change to 1970 Toyota Hilux Lt. Green
PIAA lights (safety issue, is permitted)

Key things ICBC is looking for: No rust, no rips in seats, factory radio or delete plate, factory steering wheel. Disclose everything on your application; the key is to not make them have to think and wonder about it.

I'm not an ICBC employee but I wouldn't be surprised if ICBC has an 'unofficial' mandate to promote the collector vehicle hobby and overlooks a lot if the vehicle does appear to look factory, is clean, and looks like it is being maintained as a collector.

My insurance is $400 per year.

Huge shout-out to my good friend Rob #redreefer who made my truck this beautiful!

View attachment 2938407

View attachment 2938408

View attachment 2938409

View attachment 2938414

View attachment 2938423

View attachment 2938427
I love 'Georgia'!

Hi guys - I have a question regarding ICBC and Collector plates so I thought I would post here.

I have a 1995 FZJ-80 that "looks" pretty stock. The mods are:
- skid plate under tranny (hard to see without crawling under).
- 2.5" OME lift (I know that's more than the 1" max)
- Sliders (need to come off anyway for new powered coat)
- 2 sets of tires (OEM wheels with stock LTX tires and OEM steels with 33" MTRs)
- Outback roof rack

So how picky is ICBC?
The truck is in very good shape, inside and out...

If put on my stock OEM alloys and dropped the sliders, can I get Collector plates and save a lot of insurance?
After reading the ICBC documentation, I think my small lift is "offside" as well as the roof rack (that could come off for a bit).
I would only insure for 3 or 4 months of good weather max (don't drive it in the winter anyway) then cancel.

Does this make sense to try to get Collector plates and the lower cost insurance ? OR should I just not worry about it and do the low annual mileage / personal use live with the higher cost..

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
I would suggest calling their collector department and asking the questions on what they will allow. I had questions for them when I first registered my Alpina as a collector and the guy I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. My Dad just got collector plates on his '95 F150 last year and he spoke with them first as well since he was having work done on the truck. Some stuff I was surprised they were ok with (eg. aftermarket wheels).

Also, if you aren't going to DD it, you might just consider having insurance on it all year with collector plates. I think I pay about $450 for my Alpina for the year. If I put storage insurance on it for the year I think it was like $200. For that difference I'd rather just have insurance on it all year even though I'm not going to drive it in the Winter.

Are there any restrictions with collector plates (can't be used to drive to work for example) ?
Correct, zero days to work or school per month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom