ICBC Insurance Costs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Basic coverage $718
3 mill liability $133
collision $110
comprehensive $147
-------
total $1108

then there is another $122 for licence fee, and $25 for "EX UMP PLCY blah blah blah" whatever that is..

grand total $1255 per year.

Registered as pleasure use only, right hand drive, and 43%/roadstar discount.

That's a nice breakdown :)

Me...Territory D
Insured for business use (found it was only about $25 more per year, so it's worth it for me)
Maximum discount of 43%

Basic coverage $899
1 mill liability $103
collision N/A
comprehensive $201
-------
total $1203

With the licence fee of $122 insurance comes out to $1325.

I'm at 1900/yr.... Kinda crazy for the driving I do but that's with a 15% discount. There should be a way to get to the highest maximum faster, I consider myself a good driver.

According to the grandma following me up Holmes street yesterday I drive slow, she was trying to pass me n waving her arms in the air, road rage much? I was going 35-40 near the top of the hill with a red light ahead.

I guess I was wrong to complain about the high rates I was paying on the 1984 BJ 60. I thought $265 per year for full coverage was a little high. Couple perks on having a collector plate and not driving it to work and back, that is if I worked.

If I may chime in on this....
Two different areas of discount for insurance... Basic and optional.
A lot of ppl think that when you get to the 43% discount then thats it... But there are still 10 more years of discounts on your optional insurance.
On your renewal paperwork there will be another number on the page indicating where you are on the optional side of the insurance coverage.... It's hidden.. But it's there. If you buy basic only with ICBC then yes... 43% is all you'll get.
(sorry guys.. Insurance geek in me coming out)

As for me.. Full coverage to/from work and roadside plus... $1430 after tax. Still thinking about dropping my collision coverage too. Not sure exactly what that would save me... But i'm thinking about it.
B.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

$300 bucks for 6 months for the summer driving I do in my old Blue 42, $700 a year for the Wagon, not sure about all the extra's but I know they like to convince us to insure for up to 5 million because of the high oil patch wages up here.
Cheers,
Deny

$1767 per year. Basic Coverage + $1Million Third Party Liability (and on a 10% discount) used for work and pleasure on a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. (ICBC Rate)

About a month ago I spent about an hour and a half with my insurance lady, we played with all the numbers and despite what you think taking off most things barely gets you anything the lowest I could get my payment was 96. And change I pay 107. Right now 5 million full coverage fire theft everything so I did not see any point on adjusting even cranking my deductable to 2000. Did next to nothing. we are stuck , LOL you should try insuring a bike though costs double if you put real insurance on it.

Oh I would put the max on the 3rd party 5 million, I know some people who are with klien Lyons lawyers and man does that stuff add up quick.

lawyers...

The last time I renewed my insurance, they offered me an additinal coverage option on my policy, the $25 UMP (Under-insured motorist protection) fee. Unfortunately, many of us are paying extra for irresponsible folks and at-fault drivers who don't carry enough insurance to support a personal injury claim that you might need to make.

I wasn't aware of this up until recently, and it obviously rankles me a bit because I'm a play-by-the-rules-conservative-responsible-square-headed-pedantic-Dutchman as opposed to a buck-the-system-down-with-the-establishment-or who cares anyway type.

Read this. You really should...
http://www.achesonwhitley.com/icbc-claims/8-underinsured-motorist-protection/

I have carried UMP for years, I believe you don't even need to be in a vehicle, if an underinsured drunk hits you while walking on the sidewalk, I believe your covered.

That is also what I was told.
Better to have and not need.

Boy, I'm finding this quite interesting. I left Canada 20 years ago and am thinking of coming back in another year or two. When I left, my driving record was blemish free... I'm wondering how much if any of those initial 10 years or so of driving in BC will be accounted for when I go to get insurance. Starting from scratch could very well be an expensive proposition.

I guess that's all a ways down the road since my BC drivers license expired long long ago...

Just for interest sake Japanese insurance for my truck without collision is about $360 a year....BUT the yearly inspection test is about $900 and vehicle tax is around $250. So, all in all, total costs are comparable I guess.

I just put collision on my truck after 25 years of saying "I don't hit people, why should I have collision?"

I asked the ICBC dealer one question : "If I was driving up a icy logging road, and slipped off the side, went into the trees and totalled it, what kind of coverage would I need."

Without even looking up, he said " Collision"

"Add it please", I said.

Boy, I'm finding this quite interesting. I left Canada 20 years ago and am thinking of coming back in another year or two. When I left, my driving record was blemish free... I'm wondering how much if any of those initial 10 years or so of driving in BC will be accounted for when I go to get insurance. Starting from scratch could very well be an expensive proposition.

I guess that's all a ways down the road since my BC drivers license expired long long ago...

Just for interest sake Japanese insurance for my truck without collision is about $360 a year....BUT the yearly inspection test is about $900 and vehicle tax is around $250. So, all in all, total costs are comparable I guess.

Before you come back to BC, get a copy of your insurance history with your current insurer. This information will help with getting your discounts here.

Hey Kim...Thanks. That is certainly something to consider although I have used several companies over the years. I'm coming back to Victoria for the holidays and I think I'll stop in to ICBC for a "chat" about my options if any.

Hi Chris,

If you can, get a copy of your insurance history from all of the insurers you dealt with over the years. That is what ICBC will be looking at, or at least did way back when I moved here from out of province.

Cheers.

So you signed up to a land cruiser forum to bump a year and a half old thread to tell us about insuring your pontiac, LOL :hmm:

umm, welcome :flipoff2:

$1767 per year. Basic Coverage + $1Million Third Party Liability (and on a 10% discount) used for work and pleasure on a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. (ICBC Rate)

Hi Chris,

If you can, get a copy of your insurance history from all of the insurers you dealt with over the years. That is what ICBC will be looking at, or at least did way back when I moved here from out of province.

Cheers.

Good to know Kim, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom