I want a Boat! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin said:
yes the old robalo's i've seen don't spare the teak or the fiberglass. does cc mean centre console or cuddy cabin down there? up here in bc where i boat we are in sheltered salt water so we still need a deep v still for the short chop but we don't need the big hulls for the rollers or running out 50 miles offshore. 21' would be as big or bigger than i would need, and you won't see many centre console boats in BC over about 17'.

My bad meant Center Console

Oddly enough, we see a whole bunch of Centers down here and not very many cuddys..

good rule of thumb for 2 stroke outboard fuel comsumption, if the motor is a 150hp and run at full throttle........just take the 0 off the end of the HP and that about what it bruns per hour

so a 150=15gph
130=13gph
200=20gph

its not precise but gets you an idea.

cut back to 2/3rd's throttle and it drops the FC way down

cruiserdan said:
The first two will burn around 10 gallons per hour or possibly more. the second two a bit less.

Albins are sweet! the lines are just perfect.

my absolute favorite boat right now is this 37" Safeboat in the bay, its running 3x250hp outboards.....its fully tricked out and cost the guy $860K before electronics.......its a badass boat!

if I had the coin, Id have a Nordhaven or Krogen......hoping the folks buy one ;)

expat said:
I want a boat too.I am absolutely kicking myself every day for not purchasing this one in April of this year...
Albin 27 AC. Common out East, rare out West...

Pimp is right... I had 2 - 200 HP Mercs on a 25' Aquasport (it screamed wide open and the Florida Marine Patrol had to bring a cigarette over from Panama City to catch me when I was wide open returning from offshore trips)... it would burn 21 gals / hr per motor wide open with its speed props. They had it in their mind that I was hauling drugs since I used to go offshore for days at a time and I am sure they tracked me on their radars - I used to trade the offshore shrimpers cold beer for chum and fresh shrimp and fish for BIG cobes next to their boats in the day when they were anchored up. Usually they would have a boat right near the cut when I was coming in. They tied up to me the first time and did a strip search of the boat and scratched up my new paint job and pissed me off. They never beat me to the ramp even when they got the cigarette over here with its three inboard engines in it. I cut across the shallows and they got into the ramp right after I had it loaded. They gave me a load of Sh_t about didn't I see the blue light or hear the siren. I said: "What? I can’t hear you after being so close to those 200's when they were wide open." I told them that if they wanted to search the boat they could knock themselves out... that they knew where I took off from and where I was returning to - so any time that they wanted a look see they could meet me at the ramp and I would load the boat on the trailer so that if I was doing anything illegal they could then impound the boat and the vehicle that was used in the crime... they never bothered me again but did bring a small Boston Whaler over here that went like a bat and could run the shoals.

It was pretty fast at 3200 RPM's which was usually what I ran it at and it used a whole lot less gas. Trolling I usually switched off one the engines and ran one at a time unless in heavy seas.

Used to fish this baby up to 50 miles offshore for yellowfin tuna and billfish. Caught a world record mangrove snapper 30 miles offshore in this boat and lots of AJ's and dorado.

Last edited:
we use to see alot of them in the Sound......now they seem to have pretty gone away for some reason.

I see ALOT of Stripers though....seems like the #1 boat running around the Sound.....not sure why.

stay FAR FAR FAR away from anything with a Force outboard......:eek:

Gold Boy said:
How about the C-Dory?

http://www.c-dory.com/C-Dory 22.htm

They are ment to be awesome little boats.:eek:

here is what I run around in, 1996 Tiderunner(made in Gig Harbor) great fishing boat, this is my 2nd one.
87392490.jpg

or if your feeling REALLY strong.....how bout this replica of the Gig used by the Wilks exposition, we are rowing it saturday....
66016251.jpg

66016234.jpg

the last rowboat my grandpa made before he died, it unfinished.....just as he left it
72948982.jpg

for cheap fun.....
13612910.jpg

GoldBoy,

Those McGregor halfbreeds are lousy sailboats and lousy powerboats too. They don't do anything right.

And PIMP.........you said:
landpimp:"bolts that hold the bib on were painted. Honk, your slipping"

Maybe you could show me where I said anything in that thread about the bib bolts at all?
WHO did you say is slipping?? :D

rogersfj401969 said:
get a sail boat and never look back they are quite, I have sailed 2x SF,ca to HI both trips were ammazing, 16day the frist time and 11.5 days the second. THere is nothing like being 1100 mi from land. Infact the 1/2 waypoint between SF and HI is the farest away from land one can get in the world.

11.5 Days.........who's Santa Cruz 50 were you aboard? Or are you one of those crazy multihull sailors?

That's near record time for the Transpac.

honk said:
GoldBoy,

Those McGregor halfbreeds are lousy sailboats and lousy powerboats too. They don't do anything right.

honk, goldboy owns a macgregor. one of the things it does really well is sit in his driveway safe dry and snug 30 miles from the nearest water body big enough to sail it in until he decides whether he wants to take it to one of the 3 or 4 lakes he has to choose from within an hour's drive or so or haul it down to the ocean ;). another thing it does very well is exceed 4 knots in the event the wind doesn't cooperate, something that is not infrequent if you live in beautiful but mountainous BC.

so yes, it won't sail as close to the wind as a fixed keel vessel and it won't outrun or outride a runabout but i wouldn't knock it til you've tried it.

Ah, I took it that he was just recommending ready to go boats.

I've never been aboard one of those Macs but I've heard nothing but negatives about it's concept for years. 'The family everything boat' sort of thing. A glance at it's beam and sail area is all it should take to keep anyone from bothering to hoist the mast and just use it as a nice fairly safe motorboat. Trouble is that there are cheaper fairly safe motorboats.

didn't mean to be personally stomping anyone's toes.

not in this thread, that was about a resto fj40 I think......along time ago.

honk said:

And PIMP.........you said:

Maybe you could show me where I said anything in that thread about the bib bolts at all?
WHO did you say is slipping?? :D

lovemylc said:
You don't want a boat.....You want a friend with a boat. He takes you out, you pay for beer and a little gas money. No worries at the end of the day. Let him make payments, insurance, registration, property taxes (on boat and then on the motor)

PS - even if you are not using the boat, something breaks. I could never figure it out.... Walk away and everything works, come back next weekend, and the :censor: (insert various part here) is broken. It broke just sitting there!!

I feel better now

This is really the best advice unless you are on the water or have easy access to it. Even if you throw $50 at yer buddy it's worth it. I'm on the water prolly twice a week and if I spend 10 minutes or 10 hrs in the water the clean up at home is the same. I love fishing, the boat is just a tool to me and it does involve expense and time to maintain. And yes, especially here in the salt water s*** will break just sitting, one day it works, next it don't.

you cannot beat a leaning post when pounding through rough water. I like jumping waves at full throttle, so ever time I'm on a boat with the swivel captains chairs or the cooler seats I get all a banged-up and bruised.

semlin said:
aren't you in colorado? searays of that era are good sea boats but heavy deep v boats that drink gas and throw off huge wakes you can't ski behind. i would think they are complete overkill on most lakes if that is what you have in mind. get something lighter with a shallower v hull for that. you'll go faster with the same hp and use less gas, plus it will be easier to trailer and easier to get in the boat!

Can you explain the difference between a deep V and a shallow V? What are the pro's and con's of each? And in general the pro's and con's of the Sea Ray's that I like?

Thanks,
Zack

The vee in a hull is referred to as deadrise. It is the angle created by the angle of the bottom of the hull at the transom. (measured on one side of the boat's centerline against an imaginary horizontal line where the keel meets the transom.)

A shallow vee for a boat of the size you are looking at would be 19 degrees. The next common size is 22 -23 degrees. Deep vees are at 24-25 degrees.

The shallow vees are good for smaller lakes and othe bodies of water that do not get too rough. When used in choppy or rough water, these hulls will pound hard at planing speeds.

The deeper vees are kinder in choppy/rough sea conditions and will pound a lot less allowwing higher speeds to be maintained (more comfort) when things get sloppy.

Deeper vee'd boats will tend to roll more while at rest (still fishing) with any kind of sea. Shallow vees are more stable while at rest.

I fish offshore, so in my opinion, I like the deep vees. my 25' has 25 degrees and I can carry 29 knots in some sloppy stuff.

Do your homework well and really check the new boat out well. Do not assume anything. There's a lot more problems with used boats than with used cars of the same age.

old 24' searay pros
-good heavy deep v boat for open salt water
-sturdy original build with good materials
-comfy with good accessories

old 24' searay cons
-ridiculous gas hog
-can't ski behind it
-at that age everything original is now getting to point of needing replacement even with perfect maintenance
-cuddy cabins are bigger money pits than barer hulls
-24' cuddy cabin bunks are too small and damp for most for camping and usually only get used once except to store stuff
-same with the head - they block and break if you use them so most people with boats that size end up asking you to go in a bucket anyway.
-lots of expensive details to go wrong like trim tabs, head etc..,
-boats over 20' are bigger money pits
-hull might have 1/4 of bottom paint on it which will take a month of sanding to remove and likely reveal damaged glass
-boats with inboard/outboard are bigger money pits than outboards
-original legs/motors on boats that old likely to go anytime and can cost 3 times price of boat to replace - used decent outboards are a ton cheaper
-rot in floor or transom hugely expensive to fix in a cuddy cabin that big
-rebuilt legs/motors not as durable as original unless factory
-motors in big heavy boats are stressed -
-24' trailers that old often neglected and hugely expensive to replace - get a good one and check everything
-storage on a 24' boat often difficult/expensive

shallow deep v boat pros
-less of a gas hog
-faster with same power
-better ride in calm water
-can ski behind
-you can get an outboard model which is cheaper to maintain and to re-engine
-more likely to have lived at a lake and seen less wear and no salt
-a less serious and expensive boat than the searay often means owner is less serious boater and it gets used less
-cheaper to start with and depreciate faster
-easier to trailer and launch

shallow deep v boat cons
-cannot go into open salt water and uncomfortable in any kind of a sea
-usually less well made (but this is not as critical on a flat calm lake)

A deep v reflers to the deadrise of the hull. look at a power boat from the front and the hull makes a "V". the steepness of the angle of the V is called the deadrise. deep v boats cut through the water better and thus give a better ride in waves. they will cut through a wave or ride over where a flatter hull design will jump it or bounce off it which leads to the hull "pounding" and "porpoising" which are both very unpleasant.

heavier boats also cut throught the water better than lighter boats but they require more fuel and power to do this. most newer deep v boats are much lighter than older deep v boats like the searays you like. whether this reflects better hull designs negating the need for as much weight or the cost of fiberglass is a matter for debate. some would say that regardless of modern hull tweaking an older quality deep v boat like your searay will often outperform a lighter new inexpensive deep v boat on everything but fuel use, but most will agree it will not outperform a top end new boat.

a shallow V hull will have a less extreme deadrise at the bow and will usually taper to flat faster along the hull. they are meant for sheltered water like lakes where they go faster than deep v boats with the same power and use less fuel to do it. they usually handle better than a deep v in calm water and may ride better, especially at lower speeds. They are usually very unpleasant or even unusable in any kind of a sea. a classic shallow V boat design is a bayliner capri. you ought not to even consider an older shallow v boat for offshore use from new jersey. i don't know how much sheltered salt water you would have there but i would be very careful if you want to pout a shallow v in the ocean.

the fact shallow v's are more stable at slower speeds and easier to control makes them better for water skiing and wakeboarding. lighter and shallower hull boats are also better for waterskiing because of the size of the wake they throw. plus heavy deep v boats with i/o motors often don't get up on plane fast enough to ski. waterskiing behind a 24' searay would be unsatisfying for skier and driver.

and for advice, if you want to go in salt water get the plainest simplest smallest outboard powered deep v boat of a good brand that will do what you need. if a lake boat, try to find an old but barely used garage queen shallow v. there are many out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom