I need some paint help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 FJ40 in original Freeborn Red. I need to paint it as I work on it. I live in Juneau, with few options. No one in this little burgh seems able to help me out. The best local paint store says ”just order something kinda close from one of our color chips”. That is about my only local option. If I could come up with a brand specific mix, code, formula or whatever, that has worked for someone else, I might be able to order it out of Seattle and have it shipped up on the barge. Anyone have something that has worked for them that would be repeatable and possible to order up by phone, internet etc? I want a decent single stage paint in 309 Freeborn Red that I can put over epoxy primer. I have no eye for color and am terrible at judging close color matches.

Last edited:
Pull the gas cover/door and send it to any good paint shop. They should be able to scan it and match the paint. Going off a paint code and trying to match 42 year old paint doesn't work too well.

Hmm. I just went out and opened up the fuel cover and the paint is a little thin but original enough. I should get on the phone and call a few places and see what they can do. Good idea.

Wesco is an auto paint supplier in Washington State. They sell PPG.

I bought single stage in "Spraymax" cans from 66autocolor.com They can mix Toyota paint codes. They are helpful over the phone and will also ship paint in bulk cans if you are set on using HVLP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom