I need a 200 series before my father dies in his FJ80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
I got my father a fully built FJ80 in 2001 with 64K miles.
Its got now 150K its awesome shape but the paint and the Air conditioning!

he is 65 to old to muddle with 100F heat and an old rig.

Iv been looking, budget is $25K hopefully 140K miles.

Any advice iv been looking in LA to Austin but nothing looks like its for us.
We had our FJ80 for 20+ years that's pretty good!

It just is dangerous on the long drives and the air takes a while to cool down when its 100+F in Norcal.

I got my father a fully built FJ80 in 2001 with 64K miles.
Its got now 150K its awesome shape but the paint and the Air conditioning!

he is 65 to old to muddle with 100F heat and an old rig.

Iv been looking, budget is $25K hopefully 140K miles.

Any advice iv been looking in LA to Austin but nothing looks like its for us.
We had our FJ80 for 20+ years that's pretty good!

It just is dangerous on the long drives and the air takes a while to cool down when its 100+F in Norcal.

There have been a few deals creep up here and there for an '08-'09 with <150k miles for mid to upper 20's. Honestly, you need to open up Autotrader, Cars.com, Cargurus, Truecar, Craigslist, and maybe Ebay. These rigs are rare, and if you see one you are interested in, it's best to act fast as they go quickly. Don't know where you are located, but try and locate a southern rig if possible. Even if you have to buy a one way plane ticket, it's usually worth it. I will try and help you look when I can. Good luck.

You could completely replace the AC and paint for a small fraction of $25k... Just a thought...if those are the worst issues...

With a 200 in that mileage range plan on
Replacing the following:
Water pump
Radiator
Starter
Id has magine the suspension will be breaking down by then also.
Good luck man. Your a good son!

2008 with 156k miles for $23,450 near D.C.
2008 Toyota Land Cruiser V8 For Sale In Vienna | Cars.com

2008 with 120K miles for $26,595 in MA
2008 Toyota Land Cruiser V8 For Sale In Littleton | Cars.com

2008 with 138K miles for $24,587 in KY
2008 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale In Paris | Cars.com

2008 with 152k miles for $24,987 in TX
2008 Toyota Land Cruiser V8 For Sale In Richardson | Cars.com

So, when I type in '08-'09 only 20 Land Cruisers show up on Cars.com in the whole country. Try the other sites, but hopefully this helps and gives you hope that you can find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Yeah hard find but worth it when you do, he asked about the "FJ" I got him a 76 FJ40, 85 FJ60 the 94 FJ80, 2000 Celica, 2002 MR2 I might be a great son actually?
We skipped the Fj100 although there are quite a lot of good ones for cheap $10K and up and he liked the one we found but it was very over priced and a 1999 so it was also quite old but low low like new miles yet lacking the technology of 2002+ We thought tacoma but that wont cut it for "Fancy" living and Tacoma gets old boring to me and also quite expensive and lame MPG so why not just get the 200!!! I want him to stick to the road we live at 3000FT elevation with a lot of curves so I got him the EMU coils and OME shocks naturally then the bumpers and wench followed.

My Fj80 is a monster sure but its slow, getting on in years and always some $50 part.

He has a good 10 years left (my father) id like to see him in a nice 200 series all advice is gratefully appreciated.

Put him in a nice LX570. Easier to find and potentially better deals. He'll appreciate the ease of access features such as AHC suspension kneeling to aid ingress/egress and power upper hatch. Along with better sound deadening and other creature comforts.

I'd vote for the lx570 as well. Seem to be easier to find in that price range and it seems the Lexus version stays dealer maintained longer than the LC.

I cant tell you how many FJ80's I looked at off lease with oil gunk in the cap. Like full turd sized clumps of oil gunk.
Rich people I tell ya!!! They dont take care of their stuff do they!

Last edited:
My Rig may be up for sale. 135K miles. Fully loaded. new tires and XD rims. but its in the 28K price range, in Colorado. Has all options. Everything works perfectly on it. No codes. No issues whatsoever. Dealer was going to give me about 24K trade in value on it. Even comes with a spare set of the Tundra rims. Tires are the BFG KO2's.

I cant tell you how many FJ80's I looked at off lease with oil gunk in the cap. Like full turd sized clumps of oil gunk.
Rich people I tell ya!!! They dont take care of their stuff do they!

I think it had more to do with "lease" rather than "rich guy." Years ago, a BMW factory guy told me the reason they started including oil changes in the purchase price was they were CPO'ing all these off-lease cars and the engines were blowing up. They did some research and discovered that it was mostly lease cars that had engine failures. They discovered that lease folks took the car in and paid for that first oil change and when they saw the cost, said "screw this." They didn't want to pay $100 for an oil change so they stopped changing the oil. Cars got turned in with 20K+ on the same oil. Rather than "rich guys," it was over extended lease guys trying to look rich who were killing those cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom