I mod my rear bumper a tad bit. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
Just wanted to share pics of my rear bumper mods..
It is a 4+ rear bumper but the way the swing outs were did not work with my bike rack and or trailer.. so out came out the grinder and cutting wheel and a weld here and a weld there did the trick...

I have two latches for each swing out.
I moved the spare tire more to the outside and higher so it clears my bike rack and the turn signals.
I did this as one day sooner than later will have two spare tires on the rear one on each swing out and a extended fuel range tank.
P1010274.JPG

For now I took out the original basket that came with the bumper and built a bigger one that can take 3 jerry gas cans and or a cooler or my tool box for when I do my extended bike rides.. (yes this is a bike / exploration wagon).
P1010276.JPG
P1010274.JPG
P1010276.JPG

I also wanted to place my lic plate back in the original spot so I dont have to bother with hooking up a lic plate light.
P1010275.JPG

Under the box I built a spout carrier with some ABS sewer piping
P1010277.JPG
P1010275.JPG
P1010277.JPG

Looks good, nice work on the mods.

Look really nice ! I like the spare mount when it follows the angle of the rear lid - much better than my Kaymar that sticks out like like J-Lo's sweet axx...

looks good. whats the demensions of the jerry holder? got pics of the jerry cans in it?

clint

Dimensions are 24" x 16". I have Scepter cans so I made it bigger to compensate for when the cans swell under the sun. I'll post a pic later on..

Look really nice ! much better than my Kaymar that sticks out like like J-Lo's sweet axx...

WORD...!!!

I like how tightly it hugs the truck. Good work.

Lets see a bike on there :)

I like the filler spout storage idea - pretty cool.

Damn I need another Landcruiser!

Damn I need another Landcruiser!

Yeah ??

I think we all need another Land Cruiser !!

I'll put my other rig (bike) in there fo sho

attachment.php

classic great idea the buggers always stink up the truck I'm goin to steal that FOSHO :grinpimp:

[Curly voice]

Nyuk, nyuk, great-lookin' bumper there, Mo! Soitanly! Nyuk, nyuk! I like the angled tire mount, too!

:)

Thanks guys.. I like the way it turned out too.. lets hope the welds hold up and I dont loose a tire on a dirt road somewhere..

Here is proof the bike fits and a pic of 3 jerry cans as requested..

P1010263.JPG
P1010264.JPG

BTW. I had to do some grinding on the ABS pipes so that the Scepter spout would fit in there..
P1010263.JPG
P1010264.JPG

Added a second spare tire carrier/ ladder and basket all in one....

So, I modded it some more...
I got rid of the previous box and spout carrier I posted above...

Added a ladder cause its hard but also dangerous to climb up/down when I put the RTT away... but I also did not want to loose my basket and figure one of these days a trip is going to show up where I might want to have a second spare.... so I got thinking a whole lot... after a few designs I came up with this...
Its a bit heavier than the previous set up but not by much....and most of the weight sits right on top of the bumper when latch down...

Here are some pics...
I sort through mud looking all all kind of ladders and although cool designs I did not like any of them...
I used ¼" square tubing.. prob overkill for some of yah but not for me... and gusseted most joints... ladder is functional as its the spare tire carrier..

Given, I will loose the ladder and basket when I have the spare tire carrier but that would be on some trips only....

IMAG0409.jpg
IMAG0411.jpg
IMAG0414.jpg
IMAG0409.jpg
IMAG0411.jpg
IMAG0414.jpg

Thats pretty slick. Nice work.

Profile shot.. ladder clears both the rig and the tire...
IMAG0413.jpg

rear shot....
IMAG0404.jpg

both tires clear the turn signals and lic plate number...
try to get both tires at the same level but was a bit hard to do that...
Lower receiver is for the basket that I still need to build.....
I'll try to go with something nice and light.....
IMAG0406.jpg
IMAG0413.jpg
IMAG0404.jpg
IMAG0406.jpg

looks awesome .. but there is a bunch or leverage to take care of .. and you are not planning tire upgrade ? coz you will need help to raise your spare tire that much ( ask me how I know ) ;)

Dude.. That's as big of a tire as I will run...

Yeah... I know.. its a biotch to put the tire up there but hopefully it wont be that often.....

That is just so frickin' cool! Where are you headed next? Want to come up to Oregon to play for a week in the backcountry? I am putting together an OBCDR run on route 3 from Ca to Central Oregon leaving late June.

Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom