HZJ79 Trayback install, turbo, inercooler and exhaust manifold. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing I have found is that these two engines I just set the valve shims on were out of sdjustment by quite a bit, the engine from japan is so carboned up it is crazy, I have to take it for a couple hundred km run to get it all warmed up and burnt off. But, when i set the valve shims the numbers were way off - I suspect carbon was messing up the numbers. One shim I put in was very thick and went against my better judgement - anyway the first time I stated the engine I got the hot intake manifold from the intake valve being partially open. So - the lesson here is that if your tolerances are out .25mm then you are going to have excessive heat and other issues - so set your valve shims if you already haven't.

Been there, done that. A number of times. Run it a number of times, even with a mild cleaner like some ATF, clean it out...then set the valves.

Looks good btw. Nice to see the R&D documentation.

gb

Thanks Greg I will do that - makes sense. also wonder if the shim and valve surface shouldnt be cleaned of oil first as well - I'm sure the oil could throw it off slightly.

John, where did you find that part number? On toyodiy? How much from Japan? Toyodiy says it is for an HDJ80 1990 - model.

Louis,
There were five versions of the OEM boost compensator depending on the market and the year. The boost compensator in some markets came with a high altitude compensator as well. Per my local Toyota dealership, George at All American and the guys whose rigs are either side of mine in the shop right now the OEM boost compensator 22540-17550 for the HD-T is the same one for the HZ. Per the Toyota printout the OEM boost compensator, with some part number variations for year and market, began in Jan 1990 til present. Per Dave only :
22540-17150 Jan 1990 - April 1991
22540-17550 August 1992 - Present
are still listed of the original five. Let me know if you know of specific differences between the two because thus far no one else has seen any. One interesting note, per Dave, he has seen some HZs that came with boost compensators OEM. His recollection was that that version showed up in Japan around 1993.

Re: Price, I'm glad you asked because it made me go back and review an email from George with his price quote that got lost in a flurry.:doh: Per George, he can get it to me for $250 plus shipping. Dave is getting hosed on the yen to US dollar exchange right now. After conversion his quote came out to $411.00 plus shipping . So I'm going to go with George on this one.

BTW, :cheers: on reminding me about ebay as a source for boost controllers. There is a wide variety but I think that I'm going to go with a nice simple manual one which I can hopefully snag for around $20.00 or so.
Thanks,
John

John, ya the Yen is pretty high now, I am buying alot of non cruiser related items out of Japan now and it is killing me.

One interesting note, per Dave, he has seen some HZs that came with boost compensators OEM. His recollection was that that version showed up in Japan around 1993.

Why would a 1HZ, being NA, come OEM with a boost compensator?

Why would a 1HZ, being NA, come OEM with a boost compensator?

It never did come with one, however the Injector pump on the 1HZ, 1HD-T, some 1HD-FT's are very much the same so a boost compensator would fit many models. Even a generic one from Denso would most likely work since the VE pump is made by Denso and is used in more than just Toyotas. Alttitude compensator is another story available on all models and does vary if you have a boost compensator as well.

Cheers,

Michael

It just went in for paint, hopefully will be done by the end of the week - then sadly it will get parked for the winter. I just won't have time to get the intercooler re-installed and a bunch of other things done before the snow flies - and I don't want it to start rusting. So from now on I'll be parking it every winter.

I'll get some pics when it is done though:)

Thanks for looking!

Winter? It's 16* outside right now!

Admit it, you just want to drive the LX more than the LC :flipoff2:

It's been a while since I have posted here but I am just upgrading my snorkel to something that allows for proper airflow, here is my airbox all welded up with large size unifilter. 4 inch filter opening and 3 inch to the turbo, 4 inch inlet to the 4 inch snorkel - will post more pics after I weld on the brackets to hold the box in place. The snorkel is cut and ready to do.
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg

are you planning on running a sock filter over that bumblebee filter?
Nice airbox Louis.

Nice work i was planning to do something similar to replace the OEM box and the safari snorkel, looking forward for your new snorkel design.

That air box looks king,
Are you sure it will fit in your engine bay ;)

Cant wait to see the snorkel fitted up

good vid I have sub'd to your channel , I see you have you crankcase vent going in before the air cleaner is there any reason for that , am I missing something .

Dave .

It is a blow by tube, I run it into the air cleaner as I want it sealed and not venting to atmosphere. There is a filter catch can on it to catch the oil before it hits the unifilter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom