HZJ73 Build - FJ to HZJ conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Threads
12
Messages
98
Location
Perth Western Australia
Hi all... I'd like to share our current build for those interested.
We have had our FJ73 MWB for some years now... I recently finished a HZJ75 ute build and really enjoyed working on these modular masterpieces... so much so I decided to tackle another build on our 73.
The Middy is a 1986 FJ73... 3F auto and standard rear drum brakes. I sourced a HZJ75 ute as a parts car that came from a farm with the drivetrain I needed.
So the plan was to end up with a 1HZ, H55 5 speed manual and rear disc brakes... a slight upgrade with the rear disc brakes as from my understanding, they only had rear drum brakes. Also to go to a full manual 4x4 system eliminating the vac solenoids. I wanted it to be as close to a factory car as possible with lots of subtle additions to the build... if you know, you know. :)
Anyway, the process was fairly straight forward... the only major modification was to relocate the engine and trans mounts... the rest was a fairly easy bolt on process.
I'm just ironing out a few small gremlins but certainly loving this set up.
Cheers all.
Eric. 🙏👍

20260917_161916[1].webp


20260520_163405[1].webp


20260803_125737[1].webp


20260710_174016[1].webp


20260910_112630[1].webp
 
Hi all... I'd like to share our current build for those interested.
We have had our FJ73 MWB for some years now... I recently finished a HZJ75 ute build and really enjoyed working on these modular masterpieces... so much so I decided to tackle another build on our 73.
The Middy is a 1986 FJ73... 3F auto and standard rear drum brakes. I sourced a HZJ75 ute as a parts car that came from a farm with the drivetrain I needed.
So the plan was to end up with a 1HZ, H55 5 speed manual and rear disc brakes... a slight upgrade with the rear disc brakes as from my understanding, they only had rear drum brakes. Also to go to a full manual 4x4 system eliminating the vac solenoids. I wanted it to be as close to a factory car as possible with lots of subtle additions to the build... if you know, you know. :)
Anyway, the process was fairly straight forward... the only major modification was to relocate the engine and trans mounts... the rest was a fairly easy bolt on process.
I'm just ironing out a few small gremlins but certainly loving this set up.
Cheers all.
Eric. 🙏👍

View attachment 4219220

View attachment 4219221

View attachment 4219224

View attachment 4219227

View attachment 4219232
Great looking build!

The wiring in my HZJ75 (originally sold in Northam WA) has definitely seen better days. Did you pull, test, and restore the donor harness during the swap or build a new one? I can’t tell from your electrical bench testing photo.

Thanks!
 
Great looking build!

The wiring in my HZJ75 (originally sold in Northam WA) has definitely seen better days. Did you pull, test, and restore the donor harness during the swap or build a new one? I can’t tell from your electrical bench testing photo.

Thanks!
Hi Matt... Thank you... yep... I had it on the bench and went through it... well... I did what I could and then tested as much as I could before fitting it into the 73. I didn't want to hack the petrol loom... I used everything 75 so it made sense... dash cluster, metal frame, wiring loom... everything 75. 👍
I re-pinned the rear loom of the 73 to one plug on the 75 loom for simplicity also. :)

20260713_170734[1].webp


20260816_160610[1].webp


20260818_172240[1].webp
 
Hi all... I'd like to share our current build for those interested.
We have had our FJ73 MWB for some years now... I recently finished a HZJ75 ute build and really enjoyed working on these modular masterpieces... so much so I decided to tackle another build on our 73.
The Middy is a 1986 FJ73... 3F auto and standard rear drum brakes. I sourced a HZJ75 ute as a parts car that came from a farm with the drivetrain I needed.
So the plan was to end up with a 1HZ, H55 5 speed manual and rear disc brakes... a slight upgrade with the rear disc brakes as from my understanding, they only had rear drum brakes. Also to go to a full manual 4x4 system eliminating the vac solenoids. I wanted it to be as close to a factory car as possible with lots of subtle additions to the build... if you know, you know. :)
Anyway, the process was fairly straight forward... the only major modification was to relocate the engine and trans mounts... the rest was a fairly easy bolt on process.
I'm just ironing out a few small gremlins but certainly loving this set up.
Cheers all.
Eric. 🙏👍

View attachment 4219220

View attachment 4219221

View attachment 4219224

View attachment 4219227

View attachment 4219232
Looks clean ! Nice work.
 
Back
Top Bottom