Humming from rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much grease have you put into the splines of the rear driveshaft? ???

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=6627;start=msg54952#msg54952 date=1067021724]
I hear ya, I know. I have 97 LC with 113k mi with lockers. I did re grease the crap out of all spiders, driveline. I checked the diff plug and fluid. Clean and no metal. I am suspecting
1. Rear diff - Door knob dealer advised. So I had this checked by local diff shop.
2. Tire - I have stock size but have not rotated. Maybe I'll try this.
3. Drive shaft(Propeller) balancing issue. Will the unbalanced drive shaft make humming under the load?
4. Exhaust hitting something and vibrating - I had this checked and welded all the broken hangers and nothing. Still humming exists.
[/quote]

If it were (3), the vehicle would vibrate (violently?) proportionately to the speed of the d-shaft. And since I find it difficult to believe that a toyota R&P would be toast after 100-120K mi, I'd suspect the diff bearings (pinion?). Since labor on installing R&Ps only ran about $150-200 or so if they pull the third plus the bearing install kit ($100 if you bring the third in, this is at DriveTrain Direct in Corona, CA), even $650 is maybe a little steep for a rear third (if it were an IFS front third, then, yes, labor is more $). You did the right thing by going to a dedicated drivetrain shop. Don't have anyone who doesn't install R&Ps everyday do the work, as most R&P failures are due to improper installation (given a quality brand of gear like Precision, NOT Genuine Gear sold at 4WParts!).

If the rear driveshaft is overfull with grease could it not be causeing hydraulic pressure against the rear diff and possibly causing this type of slight whine?

I bow to the experts, but that was the reasoning behind my earlier question.

I did roughly three squirts of grease to the spiders and splines.
I did a good thing I brought to the driveline shop because, these guys knew about the components and parts needed to rebuild the rear differential. I did have them check on the condition of the dirveshaft and they said it is fine. I did not have any vibration.

Well cool! Looks like you saved about 1900 bones!!

Jim,

Zander was asking about the front axle/birfield service. $650 per side is the Dealer price.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom