Anybody have pics of the gears in the oil pump? I'm trying to re-assemble and need the correct orientation of the triangle shaped marking.......... TIA
No worries...that is exactly how I torqued mine down - by feel.Thanks mmm635 ! That's the second pic I have seen with the gear marking facing outward. Must be the correct way.... BTW My Haynes manual says the torque on the oil pump bolts is 12ft.lbs. (I'm not sure if I trust that torque or not, I ended up doing it by hand. 12ft-lb seemed to me to feel like more than needed IMO.....
I have to do the same thing in a week or so .. hopefully have as good luck as youReplaced Oil pump seal and crank seal yesterday. All went according to plan thanks to this thread. Also, replaced distributor o-ring as well. Hopefully this will solve most of the minor oil leaks. Elapsed time was about 8 hours....but took it very slow, and was able to avoid stripping any of the soft oil pump cover screws. Spent a good hour just cleaning away old grime once I had good access to it. I also slapped on new belts while I was at it. Thanks to Zane and all others who have contributed to this thread!
Andrew, this might be a silly question but did you have it jammed against the American passenger side or the OZ one when you first tried. You would have been overtightening it doing it the US way. Needed to be on the drivers side in OZ.Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I ended up having to take the radiator out so I could get a rattle gun onto it. Even then the 1/2 inch SnapOn with over 600ft-lb of torque couldn't move it. It needed a 3/4 inch diesel truck driver to move it, so it was on way too tight. I also had to drill out one of the screws on the cover, so that ended up being much easier with the extra access. The Phillips heads were replaced with Allen-key/hex heads, but hopefully I wont be back in there for some time. Cheers, Andrew.
I'm right on the verge of stripping out the pump cover screw heads. Before I go any further, would putting some heat to them (via heat gun) do any good to loosen things up?
I don't want to end up drilling the heads if I don't have to.
Hammer trick didn't do it .... but a right angle drill motor and some scew extractor's did. Put it all back together and ran it. Looks like it mostly resealed - jury's still out. I need to do some cleaning under there and monitor the area. Next on the list is the distributor O-ring and replace the thermostat and all the hoses and coolant. Hopefully I won't have to open up the seal again....Well, heat does work. I applied heat and was able to get 4 of the 7 out without too much drama. I now have 3 that are resisting me, but my next trick is to apply the heat, then try to shock them loose via a good hammer blow to the end of the ratchet. I will report back.....