How to remove stuck sunroof cables? (2006 LC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a multitude of threads on the 100 series' sunroof removal process, but does anyone have any recommendations for how to break loose the rusted cables?

I've got my cassette/assembly out now and have soaked it with WD40. After work I plan to heat it with a butane torch, but I'm a little worried about melting the cable (they seem like a polymer material around the metal).

Any lessons learned from this procedure would be greatly appreciated!

well, the WD40 likely won't hurt anything but it also is not a penetrating oil. There are much better products for that. Don't know what you have down South, but maybe Liquid Wrench? That is already much better than WD40.
I would not do the torch without looking very carefully at what's all there, and to be honest probably would not do it at all.

Thanks for the input, I can find penetrant. I might try that. I didnt have any on hand at the time and used wd as a first step. I decided against the torch, too. Still, mine are just stuck so solid, I dont know how I'm going to get them loose. I might just settle for the permanently closed sunroof.

Following.
I tried to just pull the whole motor assembly out to lube it up a few months back, then I discovered the jammed "cables". Decided it was going to be a much deeper project that I'd need to get back to. My "cables" had some movement, just not enough for the motor to overpower the resistance. But they did look pretty chowdered inside, mostly with sandy dried out grease. I was hoping that with enough lubing and pushing and pulling that I'd get them fully removed, that is, when I get back in there. Keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom