How to install OEM heater hose clamps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Threads
279
Messages
11,755
Anyone know how to install new Toyota heater hose clamps; the type with a cotter pin? Is there a special tool needed?
 
I actually ordered one of these just in case, and the cost was close to $1. I don't know if it's a different part, but the one i received was NOT the cotter type, but screw-type clamp with 2 wires, rather than a single body. Has the cotter been replaced, or did i get the wrong part?
 
My understanding from talking with CruiserDan is that the cotter pin hose clamps were considered "single-use" from Toyota, and they also take a special tool to install that is no longer available. I would vote with bpassmore and suggest some stainless constant torque clamps to replace it. Toyota also makes some spring steel clamps that were OEM on most hoses. You may be able to find one of those in the right size to fit, but it would probably be special order from the dealer. Good luck!
 
I replaced the heater hoses that comes from the firewall on my 80 last weekend and used off the shelf clamps with 6' of 5/8 Good Year hose. Got a bendable spring and made the bends, all for $10.00. :idea:
 
Thanks all for the info. I wonder what places like TLC use when they rebuild a LC from the ground up??
 
If you look at the parts, you'll see that the cotter pins clamps are only used on certain hoses and sometimes only one one end of the hose. It looks to me like the cotter pin connections were used on pre-assemblies and the pressure type clamps were when the pre-assemblies were actually installed on the vehicle. Which is why the same hose will have a pressure clamp on one end and a cotter pin clamp on the other end, usually a metal pipe or other assembly that was probably put together prior to being put on the engine.

In other words, any clamp will work and I never reused any of the factory clamps. When I redid my entire heater hose system I used all constant tension hose clamps. It was expensive, but now I have one more thing I'll never to have worry about again.
FZJ80coolingprojectx035x.webp
 
X2 what Brian said ^^^^

I just replaced almost every coolant hose in the engine bay and used constant torque clamps for the PHH and stainless lined screw clamps where the cotter pin style was installed. I reused the OEM spring steel clamps as they are holding up well.

Even if there was a tool to install the OEM cotter pin clamps there is no way I would use those as they are one time use only.
 
X2 what Brian said ^^^^

I just replaced almost every coolant hose in the engine bay and used constant torque clamps for the PHH and stainless lined screw clamps where the cotter pin style was installed. I reused the OEM spring steel clamps as they are holding up well.

Even if there was a tool to install the OEM cotter pin clamps there is no way I would use those as they are one time use only.

Cool. I am going to buy a couple of those for my next coolant change. Do you happen to have the diameter for the clamps?
 
I'm pretty sure they were Breeze Constant torque clamps, part number CT-9410. The size for that part number is 9/16" to 1-1/16".

I got them from Napa.

If you do a search for breeze constant torque clamps, you'll find a number of posts about others using the same part.

I also used them for the radiator hose, but I can't remember which size I got. I just measured the hose and looked through the catalog for the right size range.

Hope that helps.
 
Brian, any hose that you think should NOT get a CTC?

I am actually about to order all new hoses from CDan and I am now thinking about ordering all the CTCs from McMaster

Same here, I am thinking to order a full range of CTCs that needed. Please let me know if you figure out the sizes needed in the rig. (I might be doing the same for my other cars.).
 
Reviving this old thread, where can you find lined hose clamps. The usual part stores doesn't seem to carry them.
 
Talk to Josh at AJIK Overland Exchange..I believe he carries them
 
My understanding from talking with CruiserDan is that the cotter pin hose clamps were considered "single-use" from Toyota, and they also take a special tool to install that is no longer available. I would vote with bpassmore and suggest some stainless constant torque clamps to replace it. Toyota also makes some spring steel clamps that were OEM on most hoses. You may be able to find one of those in the right size to fit, but it would probably be special order from the dealer. Good luck!

This. The cotter pin type was never meant to be re-used and almost all of them are replaced by the wire type.
 
I think this is overkill, but to each their own. I have never had a OEM clamp fail, not saying it doesn't happen though. My LC is twenty years old, and I just recently went through and replaced all coolant hoses and clamps, the cotter pin style are replaced with the spring torsion type with the cool install clip on them. They lasted twenty years, and I figure in twenty more years I'll have to replace the rubber again and most likely the clamps. Why waist the money on the clamps? The OEM ones come off with a pliers, quick and easy, no fricken around with a socket.
 
I use regular ones from Autozone...
:steer:
 
Back
Top Bottom