How to Install a Intercooler on a '91 Prado EX5 (2L-TE)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im lucky to have had a boost gauge installed when I bought the truck (along with EGT and water temp).
It shows 5psi when when the turbo light turns on... I guess something happened to its setting at some point.

Thanks for the pointers on the boost controller and it install, its much appreciated ;)

Lee

your boost should be stock, as already stated, 7-9 lbs. i removed the rubber actuator hose from the cross over and could run a max of 14 psi. this brought the EGTs down and allowed the engine to rev easier.
i plugged it off at the cross over. i ran it this way for about 3 years. now remember, VERY SELDOM will you ever hit the 14 psi, on the highway (unless bucking a strong head wind or climbing a grade) you will seldom see 6 lbs. it is only under load that the boost heads up and even under hard throttle you will see about 12 lbs. 14 can be achieved by a steep hill and heavy acceleration.

it is said that 14 psi and over you should run an intercooler. below that is a "want" not a "need". application. that being said, i run an intercooler on my PZ and it is maxing at 10 lbs, of course it was already sitting on the shelf.

cheers

Crushers is right in that with the hose off you will see 14-15lbs of boost. This will work and is a good test to see how your engine reacts to more boost. From the Surf's and Prado's I have played with on their boost and egt's I have found that not all are created equal. It's almost like a horsepower and torque cure. Some of them have worst throttle response and unstable egt's with a high boost and then when turned down from say 14 to 12 lbs of boost throttle response goes up and egt's remain stable, others are the opposite and like the high boost:meh:.
This is why I recommended a boost controller. You can dial yours right in. More isn't always better and we don't want to see another dreaded head thread:D:D

Take Care

Ive run some searches here and on the web but havent been able a thread on how to install a intercooler on a Prado ex5, 2l-te. I imagine some fabrication is in order. Im willing to start a thread document my adventures in this regard.

I was wondering if someone could help me out on how to source parts for this thing. Correct me if Im wrong but wont it help cool the engine and keep down the EGT's?

With the replacement 2L-TE engine, I'm absolutely babying the thing... keeping the water temp no more than half, EGT's no more than 10 (I'd rather keep it at 8 actuall). My boost is set at 5 with I think is too low (which i have yet to figure out how to set up to 10).

However this means Im rolling up the pass from nelson to salmo 50-60kms per hour.... really getting sick of those young punks that pass me giving me the finger and high beaming me. Im ok with going slow and not blowing my engine but if I can mod an intercooler to help. Hey why not. And I think the hood scoop looks cool anyway

Thanks;)

Lee[/QUOTE

Crushers is right in that with the hose off you will see 14-15lbs of boost. This will work and is a good test to see how your engine reacts to more boost. From the Surf's and Prado's I have played with on their boost and egt's I have found that not all are created equal. It's almost like a horsepower and torque cure. Some of them have worst throttle response and unstable egt's with a high boost and then when turned down from say 14 to 12 lbs of boost throttle response goes up and egt's remain stable, others are the opposite and like the high boost:meh:.
This is why I recommended a boost controller. You can dial yours right in. More isn't always better and we don't want to see another dreaded head thread:D:D

Take Care
You can put 2 washers between the turbo and the actuator to increase the boost. There's a post somewhere on the forum with details of how to do it

I know this is an old post, but i'm looking at putting an intercooler on my 2L-T (no EFI), I'm gonna try to make it as easy as possible since i don't have a welder, nor have i ever welded.

Any tips?

th elocation of the hood scoop makes a huge difference to how much the intercooler works
plus
a temp reading before and after the intercooler is the only true way to tell how much it works ... or not.

i found one of the best mods i did to the 2LTE engine bay was to get rid of the AC setup ... completely.
How did ditching the AC make such a great impact? I dont use it and want to get rid of it but the only thing holding me back is resale value. I know a lot of folk love the AC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom