how to go about putting on 35s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey everyone. couldnt quite find the answer i was looking for after searching forums but i just installed my lift with spc arms and next is 35s. i told my alignment guy i was going for 35s in the future so he gave me a moderate alignment, in terms of caster, which is set at 2.8 for now as im still on stock wheels.
question is, when the time comes for 35s, do i get an alignment and bmc before or after they are on? im just worried about if i will be able to drive to the alignment place with the 35s

LCA always need to be maxed.

On road it would be fine if you use moderate offset wheels. And narrow 35 would be much easier to fit. Like 35x10.50r17

You would need fine tuning anyway as every tire and wheel offset can give different requirement.

It's better to prepare the minimum needed like:
1. Max out caster from LCA
2. BMC bit don't weld the cap first.
3. Flatten the pinch weld.
4. Move front of fender liner as far forward as you can while making sure the passenger side is intact if you don't have snorkel. The intake become very suspectible to water intrusion if fender liner is compromised and you don't have a snorkel.

Last edited:
LCA always need to be maxed.

On road it would be fine if you use moderate offset wheels. And narrow 35 would be much easier to fit. Like 35x10.50r17

You would need fine tuning anyway as every tire and wheel offset can give different requirement.

It's better to prepare the minimum needed like:
1. Max out caster from LCA
2. BMC bit don't weld the cap first.
3. Flatten the pinch weld.
4. Move front of fender liner as far forward as you can while making sure the passenger side is intact if you don't have snorkel. The intake become very
sounds good. on the pointer for the LCA’s, are u saying to get an alignment before with maxed out caster from the LCA and then if i need more after i put the tires on, to then adjust the UCA?

sounds good. on the pointer for the LCA’s, are u saying to get an alignment before with maxed out caster from the LCA and then if i need more after i put the tires on, to then adjust the UCA?
Adding Caster from LCA move the wheel forward away from firewall.
Adding Caster using UCA move the wheel backward closer to firewall.

This video would help understand it easier.

For this, I had to cut quite a bit. We ended up cutting the Body mount chop behind the tire and I had a shop weld in an angled plate to allow for the bigger tires. I did a 3 inch Dobinson lift with Dobi uppers. I did not change out my lowers. I did also do a Diff Drop for the front, but this is something I may actually remove after watching some of Tinkerer's Adventure videos on Diff drop, so do as you please with that. However I would recommend installing new, stronger Tie Rods as mine are slowly going out and will need replacement soon.

As for the rear, Not much was done. Only went with a 2 1/2 inch lift back there along with new sway bar end links and will soon install a new Panhard Rod, along with Lower control arms for the rear. I also removed the mudflaps as when in contact with the tires at full flex, I have seen others who rip part of their rear bumper off from hitting the mud flaps. Everything else was is just a slow replacement for newer, better parts. But not super difficult. Hope this helps!

Edited with Update:

Here's what I've done to prep for this mod:

1. New SPC uppers set on E. Might have to change this later but I'm trying to keep a reasonable caster value
2. BMC - wasn't sure I'd needed to do this but I was already in there and figured why not
3. Narrow 35's - this is huge. 35x10.5
4. Minor offset - my new wheels have -10mm offset
5. I have made some minor cuts to the plastics. Most likely going to need to do a little more cutting
6. fold/cut and fold pinch welds
7. remove or relocate washer fluid reservoir. I got one from an FJ cruiser (don't remember what year, but this is actually important because not all will work.) requires some minor mods to the tank.

see pictures below for current clearance. Obviously this won't work under articulation, but it's a pretty good start for a 35 with room for further adjustment.

I should also note I have not shifted my LCAs at all yet. I most likely won't even bother and just take it to the shop and have them make the adjustment. Make sure you talk to your shop to confirm they know how to handle the SPC uppers.

I've also got a full metal front and rear bumper, so clearance issues regarding those items are no longer applicable

IMG20231023105220.jpg

IMG20231023105242.jpg

IMG20231023105247.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom