How much gear do you have??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I cleaned out our storage unit today and moved it. As part of the move I sorted a bit. At the end of the day I have one and a half pallets of coolers, tents, sleeping bags, stoves and boxes labeled "Camping Stuff".

Do I have a problem?

I cleaned out our storage unit today and moved it. As part of the move I sorted a bit. At the end of the day I have one and a half pallets of coolers, tents, sleeping bags, stoves and boxes labeled "Camping Stuff".

Do I have a problem?

LOL. Send photos!

I'm about to go through my stuff and prune it down a bit. Don't even remember what I have. That said, I know I need a couple of new sleeping bags.

I've definitely got the typical Overland AF gear pile. I don't get too wound up by it though, it's why I car camp and why my car is a Land Cruiser. I just like having stuff for every occasion. Need recovery gear, got it. Need outside LED lights, got 'em. Solar panel to charge phones, got that too. Saw, yup. Hatchet, that too. Rain gear, fire extinguisher, compressor, shovel, Scepter water jugs. I honestly don't know how people pack a weeks worth of food and beer without a good rotomolded cooler supplementing the fridge either. Whatever, it would be a completely different story if I was backpacking...

Last edited:

Do I have a problem?
Sounds about right.

:doh:

Do I have a problem?
If you don't have an off-road trailer that can carry it all, yes!

With about 40yrs of camping behind me I've accrued 'stuff'. BUT, a bunch is spares/extras that just sit at home for a 'rainy' day.

I have a checklist that I've refined over the decades that contains things that I actually need or have needed. The checklist is what I pack the vehicle from and so it all fits and since I pack the same way I can at least find things as needed without having to unpack the entire vehicle :)

That said, it is quite amazing what can fit in the back of a mwb vehicle if you have a decent rack as well.

I have slowly scaled to more compact stuff, modern tent, modern sleeping bags, inflatable pillow, thermarest pad etc. Ditto for clothes that suit the weather without being stupid bulky. I find that you can save considerable volume by choosing the above wisely.

cheers,
george.

I've definitely got the typical Overland AF gear pile. I don't get too wound up by it though, it's why I car camp and why my car is a Land Cruiser. I just like having stuff for every occasion. Need recovery gear, got it. Need outside LED lights, got 'em. Solar panel to charge phones, got that too. Saw, yup. Hatchet, that too. Rain gear, fire extinguisher, compressor, shovel, Scepter water jugs. I honestly don't know how people pack a weeks worth of food and beer without a good rotomolded cooler supplementing the fridge either. Whatever, it would be a completely different story if I was backpacking...
I didn't count recovery gear, ham radios, shovels, axes, saws, jerry cans (water and gas), jumper cables(3 pair), the Chinese 12V fridge, tools, spare parts, Mountain House meals etc..

If you don't have an off-road trailer that can carry it all, yes!
It's not like I take all of it every time. Stoves are the big problem, I have everything from a microlight single burner stove up to a three burner Coleman gas stove.

With about 40yrs of camping behind me I've accrued 'stuff'. BUT, a bunch is spares/extras that just sit at home for a 'rainy' day.

I have a checklist that I've refined over the decades that contains things that I actually need or have needed. The checklist is what I pack the vehicle from and so it all fits and since I pack the same way I can at least find things as needed without having to unpack the entire vehicle :)

That said, it is quite amazing what can fit in the back of a mwb vehicle if you have a decent rack as well.

I have slowly scaled to more compact stuff, modern tent, modern sleeping bags, inflatable pillow, thermarest pad etc. Ditto for clothes that suit the weather without being stupid bulky. I find that you can save considerable volume by choosing the above wisely.

cheers,
george.
This is the conundrum, I started camping as an adult in the 70's. Every spring I select the "perfect" kit. Every fall I review and find fault with one thing or another and start the search for the thing that will make the perfect kit.

This is the conundrum, I started camping as an adult in the 70's. Every spring I select the "perfect" kit. Every fall I review and find fault with one thing or another and start the search for the thing that will make the perfect kit.

Well, I have one other 'aspect' to my camping gear accruing... I have a fully outfitted 4wd back in oz and that's where my camping trips started.

So.... I have a large amount of camping gear back in oz AND of course I've been accruing more here in the US for the past few decades too :) and tools...

Most trips back to oz my suitcases are filled with 'stuff' to upgrade the 'stuff' back in oz. Total and complete madness :)

cheers,
george.

Sounds quite normal! I used to have an offroad trailer. Sold it because it was jam packed...and only for one person...me! Too much. In the process of pairing down to what I need that'll fit inside the cruiser with a JB RTT up top now.

Good luck! You do have a sickness...shared by many so you've got good company! :flipoff2:

I recently pared down my "stuff."

RE00yiv.jpg

cheers,
george.
You have inspired me! Now I need to clean out all the old and see what new items I might need to start out this next camping season. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue of having to much stuff!

I recently pared down my "stuff."

RE00yiv.jpg
I cannot imagine being that organized. I'm the kind of guy that winds up cooking in tin foil because I forgot a pan.

Well, here's my list after many years of 'refinement' :) Since in oz I head out for at least 2 weeks, have a list is somewhat essential. Heading to town for something that is missing would typically be a few hundred mile detour.

cpg1.png

cpg2.png

quite a bit of stuff :)

cheers,
george.

I am a minimalist camper, both when backpacking and overlanding. I can fit everything in two 18 gallon containers. I don't have a fridge, just a 5 gallon cooler. No tent, but I do have a portable outhouse. Setup camp in 10 minutes. I am trying to cut this down so I can fit everything in a single 18 gallon container, and no cooler.

Here is a photo of my campsite on a trip last summer:

IMG_20170812_063354.jpg

So what I am hearing is that it's OK to be able to fully outfit five camp sites at the same time as long as you have a list. I gotta get a list. I recently paired down from six chuck boxes kitted out to two and an ultralight kitchen. I do miss looking at all that cast iron but the room in the basement has increased. Old Coleman white gas stoves and lanterns are an addiction I subscribe to.

Great to know the sickness extends further than just Land Cruisers.

I think you are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom